Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extended Warranty??YES OR NO

So I have 6000 miles on the MO.I just read on a post that a new CVT Trans cost 6000.00 WOW, I think a extended warranty for 1200.00 or so is worth it.What do you think? The power train and 4 wheel drive system is still questionable.So I think I will get one.

Please tell me what you think.And if you did buy one what did you pay.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I got a 7 year 100k for $1400. Should have gone for 5 year, 100k miles because it would have been cheaper, and I drive over 20K miles a year. Just be careful and do reserach because not all the plans cover everything.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Others will have varying opinions but I'd stick with the Nissan plans. They enter your information in to their computer system and whenever any work is done, the plan is automatically applied to see what is covered. No phone calls for authorization, no re-imbursement issues, none of that type of run around.

There is a gold and a silver plan. Gold covers just about everything that isn't normal wear and tear items (rubber, wipers, brakes,oil changes, filter changes, etc.)

I believe you can buy just about any mileage/time combination that you want, but they all start from the day the vehicle was delivered new. There are also options for deductibles to reduce the cost of the plan up front but will obviously increase your cost if a repair is needed. The extended warranty has to be purchased while your still in your 3/36k or they won't sell it. I had 35,948 when I bought mine two weeks ago.

I called the five Nissan dealers in my area on a Wednesday morning and requested quotes on my 03 SE AWD for 100k, 72 months and got the following responses:

A: $2,195
B: $1,595
C: $1,795
D: No repsonse
E: No repsonse

I made an appointment with the finance manager at dealer C (where I originally purchased the vehicle) for the following Saturday morning (April 30th) and once we were sitting at the table, and he had started pulling out the paper work, I asked him if he would have a problem matching dealer B's price. I showed him my information on pricing, including the finance manager's names at each dealership. He looked a bit suprised, said let me see, get's up and leaves the room.

About 15 minutes later he comes back and says sure, we'll match it.

My risk analysis was very simple, $400 a year, for the next 4 years, covers me from any catastrophic failure, and I know from experience that any time I've ever gone in to the Nissan dealer with any problem, it's always at least $400.

I'm sleeping better now, especially after Randy's 90k CVT failure!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was talking to my service manager about the extended warranties. To mke sure you're covered extensively you want to go for the Gold package. The silver is lacks so much in coverage vs the gold. He took out his ext. warranty binder and we went through most of the book to compare the coverage plans. The Gold Plus plan covers probably a few more items than the Gold. I don't remember exactly what it was, but they were items that did not appear essential vs. the cost diifference.

I haven't got the ext war yet, but plan to... since I have time between now and 3yr/36K. :D

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
well for Canada, there is a platinum package which includes every repair, except for brakes(worn out, not failure), tires, wiper blades.... i was offered 1900$ for 7yr, 120,000km since im not a big mileage person. my average for a month is about 500 -- 700 km.

i will scan that brochure given to me by the local nissan dealer. i will however agree with dklanecky1 about the save of hassles of calling, re-imbursments etc....

but note, the warranty is started from the OWSD (original warranty start date). i.e. if i get the 7 yr one and got my car in 2003. the warranty will expire in 2010. i was thinking, it would add up 7 more yrs to the basic warranty, i.e 3 yrs, + 7 yrs..... so i would've been covered till 2013 but no.....
so, i have till 25 may 2006 to get the extended warranty for my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts