Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when I pickup my MO on Saturday the dealer will most likely try to sell me an extended warranty. I have never been a big fan of this type of warranty but am considering it for this car. I would like to hear from other on their experience and thoughts on this issue (is it worth the $). TIA

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I will not comment on the sensibilities of buying extended warranties.
I will however say that I bought one.
7Yr 70k Miles.

To me, it is a question of what you INTEND to do with the car.
Going to keep it and move on to something new after 3-5 years?

Well maybe you shouldn't get one.
The B2B lasts for 12 mos.
The main warranty is 3/36
and the drivetrain is 5/60

I think everybody is largely concerned with the CVT. Well, it's covered with a free extended warranty up to 5 years.

I bot one because our history suggest one of two possible outcomes to our Murano experience.
If it is a good car, we will keep it about 7 years.
If it, or Nissan, screw up badly, it will be gone within days.

BTW I paid $1300 for my 7/70.
List price is $1600+
You can probably do better if you are talking an 03.

Homer

·
Registered
51 Posts
I passed.

The dealer quoted me somewhere around $800 when I picked up my '03 at the beginning of this October.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Which one did you get Homer?

Nissan sells different extended warranties, different deductibles.

There's a gold plan which comes with different deductible amounts, $0 or $50, I seem to recall.

Can you see if it specifically excludes the Nav unit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Contrary to my own preachings, I caved and got one also. Not sure which "version" I got, but it was worth about $1200US. Though I'm fairly confident about the CVT's reliability (given it's history with the Skyline(?) in Japan), I have to admit the "newer aspects" of the CVT did get me to thinkin': first time with a V6, first time with AWD (I think). I have no clue about the Nav coverage -- don't have nav.

Believe it or not, one of the reasons I picked it up was for the tire warranty. As I'm sure we all know, factory tires regardless of the make, come with nata for warranty (and Goodyear doesn't offer anything anyway). In my extended warranty, my tires are covered for 50K km/3 yrs, non-pro rated, no deductible. Given my past experiences with Nissan's factory tires (Bridgestone Duelers on Pathfinder #1, Dunlop Grandtreks on Pathfinder #2), this was very attractive, aside from my general disdain/hatred of anything Goodyear. Granted, the value of the tires doesn't equate to the value of the extended warranty, but it was ONE of the selling features for me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Never worth it in my opinion. I won't bore you with the numbers (there was an excellent Consumer Reports rundown on the numbers and they're greatly in favor of the insurance Co's who sell these warrantees...when you factor in the financing costs and the lost revenue if you just kept the money in some conservative investments. Needless to say, have never bought it.

Most things that fail due to manufacturing errors (electricals, computer, electric motors, trim) do so within the btb warrantee. The CVT is covered under the drivetrain. The rest of it, you can usually fix with the money you saved up front NOT buying the warrantee in the first place. The things that will cost the most if you keep the car 5+ years are going to be wear related parts (pads, rotors, tires, timing belt etc) which are NOT covered under the warrantee anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife has a 98 Maxima and we just bought an 03 Murano. Her Maxima has been great and trouble free, but, lets face it, mechanical things are going to break sooner or later. If we would have had a 5 year warranty, it would have paid for itself by now. So if you plan on keeping a car past 3 years, chances are the extended warranty will pay for itself, especially if you have to replace one of the computers or anything that has the word "power" associated with it. We got the 7 year warranty with the Murano for $900 and I feel it's worth the piece of mind it brings even if we never utilize it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts