Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is something like a high end version of the Club LX or Premier (not the cheaper ones, I can pick them in 10 seconds) a good idea for a new Murano, or is it unnecessary given all the built-in suppossed security features. I live in a medium sized city, in neither a great nor a horrible neighborhood. The MO is an SE with the builtin horn alarm, should I get something in addition?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Clubs don't do anything. The steering wheel can be cut and club removed in 10 seconds or less! Remember, steering wheels are nothing but a thin piece of wire inside a plastic shell. They are built that way to "give" in case of an accident.

Unless they tow it, theft of the whole MO is not possible as it cannot be run without its key. Glass and body damage is something else though and MO's OEM security system does not offer any protection for that. To add those, you will need a high end aftermarket alarm system.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Remember a professional theif can general bypass any system in under 60 seconds. If they want it they will get it. Most security systems are to prevent amuratures from getting the car.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Gonzo said:
Remember a professional theif can general bypass any system in under 60 seconds. If they want it they will get it. Most security systems are to prevent amuratures from getting the car.
Hence the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" ...:2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Other than a passive tracking system like LoJack, there isn't much you can add to the Murano to prevent theft. Motion alarms, contrary to what people think, don't prevent theft, they just annoy people and might deter people who vandalize cars. But if they want to steal it, they'll get it.

The club is all but useless. Like the post above says, they'll just cut through the steering wheel in 10 seconds.

One thing that some people don't do that they should - set the parking brake. Makes it harder for thieves to tow your car away if thats their method.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The last I heard, the biggest risk with the Murano was thieves ripping (literally) off the HID lights.
Obviously selling them to other Murano owners who did not order the HIDs and think that the HID Fairy works on Ebay.

I see from your location that you have every right to be concerned.
That's one of the worst places in the universe for auto theft.

Homer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts