Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon on my way home to get some dinner I was making a turn from a busy street onto a residential street when all of the sudden the car just lost power. I pretty much negotiated that turn at a slower than a turtle..very dangerous especially in a strong rain..good thing there as no oncoming traffic. The engine would rev higher as I got on the acceleratator but the car just would NOT go. The service engine soon light also came on. This was very scary at a turn like that. I didn't want to turn off the ignition at first because I was affraid the whole thing would crap out...I did pull over over, however, and turned off the ignition. I let it sit there for like 5 seconds and then tried again. The car seemed to get more power, but still very weak and would not accelerate past like 15 miles/hr. I was close to home so I was able to limp on over but I am left wondering what is the deal? In the manual it describes something as fail safe mode, which seems to fit my car's symptoms but it also says that it happens in extreme conditions and I was not in any extreme conditions (save rain but I don't consider that extreme). Does anyone have any idea about this? Any thoughts? Only thing I did diffferent in the morning was turn off the ingition while it was still in drive but when the key was not relieased I put it in Park and then it released the key. Anyways, enough of rambling...I am going check out the car again and see if it reset and if it works again..but this worries me a great deal!..again any clues?
Thanks.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
My thought is to first ask, what year is the MO?, Did you have the Alternator replaced? If 03 and no alt replacement. I suspect low battery voltage. The Mo is a very much drive by wire vehicle. and when the voltage gets low or "rippley' I think it can cause all kind of problems. GRIP :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a '04 front wheel drive model. I've had it for about 6 months now. I just went out there and tried to drive it. It still has the service engine soon light on but it drives ok it seems..let least on the quick drive I took. One thing though, I checked the CVT oil level and it is right at the low level mark (checked it with the engine on..just like an automatic or should I check it with the engine off?). I will buy the special CVT fluid tomorrow but why is it low? I check under the car, and there don't seem to be any leaks..? Anybody had this problem? Again, thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, nothing was replaced. They did though update the software on the ECM b/c I was getting service engine soon light and the codes said something about closed control loop and air to fuel mixture. But when they updated the software, it went away.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Well at least your check engine light is on, so you can pull the code and find the offending sensor or defective part. I suggest you check the stickies on this site to learn how to pull the codes using the accelerator pedal trick, post the code up here and I'll look it up in FSM for you.

Your situation sounds lot like a severely slipping CVT (unlikely), or a bad MAF sensor.

·
5,100 Posts
Those are sure possible. It might be interesting to check the actual voltage with a voltmeter, both while cranking and when it running. Do you know how to read the codes, If not go to thread resetting the SES light. Luck GRIP :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't have much time to read the codes myself using the pedal trick so I went to AutoZone to get them read.

Here it is: P2135 and P2135 pd (not sure about the pd part - that's what the scanner said) and here is the description for both of them:
TPS/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Corralation

Anybody any clue? I suspect it's something with electronic throttling but why now at 11k miles?

Thanks

·
5,100 Posts
Looks like it's dealer time. If the pedal position sensor is off it could be thats why you lose power , it does not know you are pressing the accelerator. GRIP :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
myMoo said:
It is a '04 front wheel drive model. I've had it for about 6 months now. I just went out there and tried to drive it. It still has the service engine soon light on but it drives ok it seems..let least on the quick drive I took. One thing though, I checked the CVT oil level and it is right at the low level mark (checked it with the engine on..just like an automatic or should I check it with the engine off?). I will buy the special CVT fluid tomorrow but why is it low? I check under the car, and there don't seem to be any leaks..? Anybody had this problem? Again, thanks for your insight.
I don't think its the CVT fluid but I do think you need to check it with the eninge running, which would make a huge difference when reading the level.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ah, the throttle position sensor. Yep its dealer time.

·
4,664 Posts
Yup, makes perfect sense.... I haven't looked at it, but I've wondered if it was a resistor. Anyone looked? Imagine your throttle getting like that scratchy old volume control on the old radio in your basement. (Garage, if you live in the land of no basements...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nissan Service Recall

Found this about Murano Recalls. Sounds possible.

http://nissanhelp.com/Recalls/Murano/2003.htm

Defect:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.

Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

However, this is an '03 recall, and I see yours is an '04.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's at the dealers now, they gave me a rental to drive meantime. They said it was going to take 2 days (they are over-nighting the part-I think he said throttle body, which I suppose is where the throttle position sensor is). I am not holding my breath though.

What I don't understand is the fact that when I lost power, the engine would rev as I got on the accelerator and the car wouldn't go very fast (slower than one walks). This obviously means, that the engine was getting the signal that I am trying to go (so in a sense the throttle was working). It appears that even though the engine was reving, the transmission wasn't being pushed. It is very strange that it is the throttle sensor that was diagnosed to be malfunctioning. Can anybody shed any light as to how this whole system works? Thanks

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
myMoo said:
What I don't understand is the fact that when I lost power, the engine would rev as I got on the accelerator and the car wouldn't go very fast (slower than one walks). This obviously means, that the engine was getting the signal that I am trying to go (so in a sense the throttle was working). It appears that even though the engine was reving, the transmission wasn't being pushed. It is very strange that it is the throttle sensor that was diagnosed to be malfunctioning. Can anybody shed any light as to how this whole system works? Thanks
What you say sounds correct. It sounds more like a torque converter or CVT issue.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath either... I don't think it is it the throttle sensor given the engine was reving but then again what do I know....

I'm going to say it is the alternator. Your description reminds me of others that had a bad alternator. Perhaps with bogus voltages from the alternator is the codes are not being reported correctly. OK I know... don't hold your breather for that either.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
surprise surprise...the throttle body is on-back order and they don't know when they'll get it. The guy said it could be as early as today, and as late as early next week! What does that mean? What parts do they on-stock? Do they have wrentches or are they on-back order too?!

I feel bad about complaining b/c they service guy was really nice and helpful and it's not his fault they don't have the part but it's so frustraing.

no doubt..more to come later..

·
5,100 Posts
This is all My opinion. Call it crunch for profit or plain greed. I am sure the bean counter calls it smart business. It is what happens when they replace an Ed Cole with a Roger Smith, you share drops constantly, in GM's case more than 1/3 of the entire US car market.

Seems like the US auto execs can't understand Good Product and support drive good business success. Eventually someone else will make a vehicle as forward thinking and correct as the MO and then these chicken's will come home to roost. If this is a sign of the times, I wish they would take the signs down it is runing the work with advertising bad integerity, it's not supposed to be dog eat dog, that just leads to canibalism of the industry. WOW I am on a role! GRIP :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hey Gripper,

Pretty impressive that you post your picture and your wife up... does she know? I'm just too ugle to post mine and my wife would kill me if I posted hers. :4:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts