Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys knows if that would be possible and what parts are needed to do that.
I'm trying to get the NAV taken off the MO from the junk yard.
Just need to know if it's possible to do that and what exactly would i need to be taken off that car to move to mine.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
There are threads in this forum that talk about this extensively. Yes. It can be done but I suggest you download the service manual for Murano first which will give you the components, but more importantly, the locations of these components. The download is available for $19.95 for a 24 hour period from Nissan web site.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Can't do it. You'd need over $10,000 worth of parts to do it. Nav requires VDC (which can't be retro added), the nav system itself, the DVD drive, the connections to the radio head unit for speech (and circuitry in the head unit to support the volume control), and an entirely new display controller, and the systems to change your information system display to the one in nav-equipped vehicles. Ours is entirely different from yours.

That's why I'm more interested in trying to hack it to reload the OS. I'd just want the nav system itself, not all the other parts that are needed along with it. It would be nice if we could publish an update CD that loaded a completely new (free) OS, like Linux and run open source apps using freely available datasources.

edit: lol. I guess we can agree to disagree, huh? :) There are far too many interconnected components you'd need to install before the nav will work. Hardly worth the effort, if it can be done at all, IMHO.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NAV

OK.
Here is the situation...
I might get a chance to take anything i want/need from the MO that been in the accident. Screeen, DVD Player etc stuff are defenately there and is not a prob. What else will i need and what is VDC and why is it required with NAV ?

About the manuals... i know about it, will do it defenately. Just wanted your opinions first.
:D

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
VDC is Vehicle Dynamic Control.. its a stability control system that automatically applies any combination of the four brakes to save the car from an uncontrolled skid. The nav uses that system to detect wheel rotation and add more detail to motion detection. This way your nav will still work even when no sats are visible - in parking garages, under heavy foliage, long tunnels, whatever the reason.

I've been thinking, and its possible that system is even tied to the tire pressure monitoring system, yet something else you'd have to try to retrofit if you don't already have it.

Then you have your system information screen. When you have nav, the display screen is an LCD, not a series of LEDs. You'd have to rip out the controller for your non-LCD screen and replace it with the new system information controller. Finally, as I mentioned before, you'd have to interface the nav controller with a point on the circuit board of the radio head unit that allows the nav to lower the volume of the radio/cd and send its speech output to the head unit. Your head unit may not even have the circuitry included to support that function.

So if you can identify (and reach) the components for the VDC, possibly the TPMS, the screen, the nav system, the nav dvd, the faceplate and stereo headunit, you may be able to staple them together and get them to work. Now you see why there are two other projects out there.. one to relocate the non-nav screen and replace it with a new 7" LCD connected to a PC, and another to decode the signals that fire the LED segments and translate them into a serial stream that can be sent to a carputer and processed for display on (again) a new 7" LCD connected to it.

Its a huge undertaking that would cost 10x or more the cost of an add-on gps or even the voice-only VCom mentioned here.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NAV

I guess it is a pain in the a.. to do that.
Easier to stay without it and just upgrade the car in a year or two ;)
I don't really need NAV as most of the driving i do is on the roads that i know well. Just wanted another toy :2:

Thanks for your help.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Just get a Garmin for about $800 and be done with it! I've you've had nav in the past and know what you're missing, its a no-brainer. Otherwise, if you just want to see a moving map of where you are, you can go even cheaper than that.

Oh, and I currently work near the GWB, so if you'd like to have a beer sometime, I'm interested in seeing your remote starter and pager alarm. Maybe we can get generator and some other nyc/north jersey guys to get together on a friday night after work before I drive home to philly.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JWB

LoL
I work in Fort Lee, 5 min from the bridge ;)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Cool, I'm in Leonia! I often eat lunch at the Red Oak Diner across from the CNBC studios in Fort Lee. I also stayed at the Fort Lee Hilton for 8 straight months last year for my current project, so I know the area fairly well. I was thinking about a meetup at the crabhouse by the target down in englewood cliffs. Should be close enough to the GWB for area members.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Meeting

We should create a post about area meetings.
I'm up for it :2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You seem to know a ton about the display systems in the Murano. Can you tap the non nav color display of the 2006 Murano for DVD or computer video output?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts