Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[New here--posted this on FreshAlloy before I found this great forum.]

Looking for a copper/cab SE loaded.

Does anyone have any thoughts they could share? We will be buying soon but may have to order from the factory which could take 6-8 (+?) weeks. The 2006s will probably be announced by then.

Anyone here with experience factory ordering a 2005? Our small local dealer hasn't inspired an abundance of confidence in terms of the factory order process. I called Nissanusa and the rep there was very *clueless.* I did find a couple of SLs loaded about 350 miles away.

I guess the differences between a loaded SL vs loaded SE are pretty small--diff wheels, differently "tuned" suspension--am I missing any other big differences?

Thanks so much for any insights!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I factory-ordered mine, as I wanted a unique combination of options that I couldn't find anywhere (Platinum with Sunroof package, but cloth seats).

My experience was pretty easy, but it took 100 days from submitting the order to the delivery date. That was a LONG time to wait. Drove me nuts. But now I have the exact car that I wanted, so it was worth it for me.

Any dealer should be able to put in an order for you. It's not a complicated process, and they do it a lot just themselves to have certain cars on their lots. The issue is finding a dealer that you trust to get you the right car. What do you do if you go through the whole process, and the car arrives not QUITE what you wanted? You have to be prepared to either settle or walk away.

350 miles away? That's not too big of a deal. Perhaps a dealer trade, or just a nice drive is in store. Just make sure that you agree on a price IN WRITING before you make the trip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
05's have a $500 rebate. I bought mine for $300 under invoice. Just ask for it. If you're ordering, just ask to buy it at invoice. It doesn't hurt to ask. Most dealers will be glad to do it. I've found that there are still new 04's on some dealer's lots.

I used to sell cars. Got any questions, PM me. Be glad to help my fellow MO brethren.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't factory order

I wouldn't factory order based on past experience. I didn't factory order a Murano but I did factory order another car in the past. It was a disaster. Had a factory defect in the metal of one of the doors which looked like a ding and a host of other problems. Car was a lemon and I traded it at 42k miles. I just kind of felt the vehicle wasn't put together "mainstream" since it was a factory order - shouldn't be that way but seemed like it. I will always buy off the lot to see what I am getting. Sure, the dealer will tell you that you can get your money back if there is a problem. Good luck with that. Late fall of '04 I decided I wanted an '05 Murano and it took about 2 to 3 months of serious looking on Nissan's website for inventory. Believe it or not it was hard finding the dynamic control package even though I was getting AWD but I got it. Be patient. You will find what you want. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I factory ordered my MO on 15 December 2004, through CarsDirect. I took delivery on 30 March 2005. Yup, it was a long wait but I was quite happy with the vehicle that I was driving at the time, a 1997 Ford F-150, which I had also factory ordered. I was not in any hurry (other than the anticipation of driving my new MO after having test driven one!) I was just ready for a new vehicle and realized that I no longer had any need for a full-sized pickup truck. Yup, it was worth the wait because I got the exact options I wanted. The final result is that, so far, it is the best vehicle that I've ever owned. I have never bought a new car off of a dealer's lot and never will. The way I look at it is this: for the amount of money I am spending on a new vehicle, I want it to be *exactly* what I want. I am not willing to accept any less.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No factory order

I forgot to mention that you can deal better when the vehicle is on the lot. I did get exactly what I want - just did it by shopping versus ordering. My experience ...

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Re: No factory order

MichaelMurano said:
I forgot to mention that you can deal better when the vehicle is on the lot. I did get exactly what I want - just did it by shopping versus ordering. My experience ...
This is not always the case. It depends on the dealer, what they have on hand, and how quickly they are able to unload vehicles.

A dealer that sells a LOT is more likely to give you just as good (or possibly better) deal with an order than one that has a lot of Mos on the lot that they haven't been able to sell.

Putting in an order is VERY easy for a dealer, the car is almost guaranteed to sell immediately (they don't have to store it on the lot) and they don't have to mess with a dealer trade (if what you're looking for isn't on their lot to begin with).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies all.

My dealer is driving me crazy on this. Everytime I go the story changes. And I seem to hear enough conflicting info to make me question the process.

But, tomorrow we are supposed to be able to view the "pool" of manufactured cars that my dealer can supposedly order from. I'll keep ya'll (and future thread searchers posted.)

Meanwhile, the one we found 350 miles is still available but will require two trips because it is out of state and we would have to wait for the registration to come through.

Why is car buying so exciting and yet so much hassle...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I wanted something that wasn't on the lot at the dealer I visited. I told them exactly what I wanted (which wasn't too specific, just a loaded SE minus navigation), and as soon as one became available to them that matched, it was mine. It took 1 month from the "sale" date for me to get it. It probably would have taken longer if I had specified a colour.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
toofargone said:
Thanks for the replies all.

My dealer is driving me crazy on this. Everytime I go the story changes. And I seem to hear enough conflicting info to make me question the process.

But, tomorrow we are supposed to be able to view the "pool" of manufactured cars that my dealer can supposedly order from. I'll keep ya'll (and future thread searchers posted.)

Meanwhile, the one we found 350 miles is still available but will require two trips because it is out of state and we would have to wait for the registration to come through.

Why is car buying so exciting and yet so much hassle...
This sounds like the dealer is putting in their "normal" order (the cars they want to have on their lot) and they're making you choose from those. That's crap. Where are you located? Any other Nissan dealerships in your area?

I would say that this dealership obviously doesn't want your business. If you're truely going to put in a factory order, you should be able to get anything that you can design on www.nissanusa.com.

It might be worth going to an Infinity dealership and see if they'd be willing to place an order for you. Just make sure they don't say "MSRP"...

A factory order should NOT be this big of a hassle. There's no reason for it. The ONLY pain should be having to wait for delivery. You have a crappy dealer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
the one time that we didn't factory order a car was when buying out 2001 santa fe which we had previous to the murano. the dealer made us a deal on an 01 demo model with 15 xxx km on it. we didn't want the white color or all of the extras they put on it so we got a fresh silver one which they just brought in a few days before for the same price as the used one. then when we traded our santa fe in, the nissan dealership gave us basically all of the money back that we paid for the santa fe. this was because the person who owned the nissan dealer also owned the hyundai dealer and we got to be good friends with him. we actually put or down payment for the murano in a hyundai dealership haha. so ne ways, our murano was factory ordered since it was one of the first to come to edmont. we recived it with a huge dent in the roof along the top drivers side edge of the windsheild which they had to fix and the alignment was way off which they failed to notice upon deliver. but now we factory ordered our second murano so we'll see how our second experience goes.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Wow. I'm glad mine didn't have anything wrong with it. I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

[Apologies if this is too much of the boring details.]

So we go to the dealer this morning, the magical "one day of the month that they can access the factory to order" and the Nissan system is unavailable. Figures. I kinda have to agree with Corin that they don't really want to find a MO to sell us.

This dealer is the only place in this little podunk town and there isn't much better for a couple of hundred miles. They have been pretty nice but I think they are just small potatos. They have been consistent about offering to sell us one for the invoice price less the rebate so that part was easy. We have no baragining power in this thing so it was really nice to not have to haggle.

I would have felt better about the factory ordering process with these guys if it wasn't right around the time the factory would be moving into 2006 mode.

We'll probably end up doing a dealer trade for the SL that *I* found in a neighboring state--everything we want except that we slightly preferred the SE to the SL. I'd make the drive to buy it myself but it would involve two trips due to registration restrictions.

The dealer was supposed to get back with us with options before 2 pm as we are leaving town for almost a week. It's 1:18 and no word.

The drama continues....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We now return you to the ongoing saga...

Dealer just called with 8 mins to spare. As I suspected the 2005 factory order cutoff has past. (I suspect it was yesterday as I mentioned to them when I was there.)

I can place an order now, and it will be for a 2006 with delivery in October. But we don't know anything new about 2006 options, colors, updates, prices, etc. He said the copper/cab option is available but I hafta wonder what he knows... And I suspect Oct. will be more like Nov.

There are only two loaded copper/cabs SLs (no SEs) in the whole country (none at the factory): a demo and the one I found. He can get us that one next week if it doesn't sell over the weekend. I guess we waited too long. Or we could be the first on our block with a 2006.

Tip for car buyers with picky tastes: Get 'em earlier rather than later in the production cycle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A dealer in California has a copper/cabernet AWD SE with touring package listed in their inventory.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still no mo for me...

Still no mo for me...

Called the local dealer while traveling ("Oh yeah, I haven't checked on that Murano yet...thanks for reminding me...") but the one we wanted to get via our local dealer from a dealer out of state had sold over the weekend.

A phone message later, the dealer now tells me that he can factory order a 2005 for delivery after all but the window closes Friday. The factory order story changes every time I talk to them.

Back to square one, 3 weeks later, still not at all confident in the factory order prospect. Guess we'll start talking compromises and see what we can find off a lot somewhere. Maybe charcoal interior? Maybe wait for the 2006s? Maybe forgo the nav package?

The quest continues...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope!

There is hope!

Yesterday I got an email from the out of state dealer--a routine follow up to my first inquiry a couple of weeks ago. I replied and indicated how we tried to get that specific MO from the them via our local dealer but had heard that it had sold over the weekend. The guy checked and said there was a deal on it but not a done deal. Well, I said, I will be very interested in getting it if the deals falls through--could be a long shot but what did I have to lose?

The deal fell through.

Now I feel kinda slimy for not going back to my local dealer but, dang, they could have thought of considering that scenario!

I'm going to check her out tomorrow. Its a five hour drive one way, and I have to go twice due to registartion/plates issues but I feel much better not having to factory order *and* not having to go through my somewhat flakey local dealer for an extra $500.

Yippee.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Re: Hope!

toofargone said:

Now I feel kinda slimy for not going back to my local dealer but, dang, they could have thought of considering that scenario!

Here I go...

:soapbox:

OK, get that thought out of your head RIGHT NOW. :twak:

Your local dealer was stringing you along, obviously not interested in your business because it would require a little bit of extra paperwork on their end. Screw them. They didn't want your business, you're going to someone that does. That is NOT something to feel bad about at all. When your local dealer calls you back wondering where you went, just tell them that you went to a far better dealership that will work WITH their customers, even though you had to drive 350 miles out of your way to do so.

I went to Younker Nissan (my closest Nissan dealership by far) about 5 times, driving different models trying to figure out if the MO is what I wanted. Every time I went in there they pissed me off, giving me the run-around, pressuring me, etc. By the 3rd time I went in there, I had already decided that there was NO WAY that I was going to buy from them. But they had good selection, so I kept going there for test drives. I then bought from a dearlership 100 miles away, because they treated me right and gave me a good price (both were important).

Nissan (actually car dealers in general) need to learn that customer service can go a long way. The only way they'll learn is if people stick up for what they believe in and don't let the dealers push them around.

Ok, I'm climbing down off my soap box now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the positive affirmations Corin. You are so right. The out of state guy has been so responsive and really trying to make it all work out--all in all making our local guys look really bad. I feel better now. (Although I still have to get the $500 deposit from the local guys.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts