Votes: 11 2.9%
  • above 200,000 miles

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 571 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there have been a number of failed CVT's. Let's check how long did they last.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Kris - you need a "Driving Fine - No Failure" option.

At least that is what I would choose at 18k miles. :)

How many miles did the 60-80K MO have in how many months?
& what kind of driving &/or towing did it do?

·
Registered
844 Posts
My Mo has 38000 Km and tows a tent trailer through the mountains, I have had no problems with it.:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
What is the definition of "Failed CVT"? Do you meant that the CVT had to be replaced, or just that there have been problems? I have had problems when it seems that mine has gone into "limp" mode, and I needed to restart. But so far no codes and dealer can't reproduce.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine works okay at 22k miles. Tows the tint trailer fine too.
Sometimes seems sluggish at take-off though.
Like it isn't in the lowest gear ratio.

Good car so far, with the exception of the alternator and customer service. It won't happen again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kris said:
It seems that there are a number of failed CVT's. Let's check how lond did they last.
Almost 40,000 miles on mine and no problems. One thing though, a few weeks ago my 'service engine soon' warning light came on. The dealership could not find anything wrong with the engine /CVT, all codes were normal. They said they would check with a Nissan engineer, reset the light and I was off . The next day the dealer called and said they needed to replace the CVT TCM (transmission control module) which they did a week later and everything is fine. Of course my friggin driver's seat has started to rock and rattle and sqeak again 10 months after the first repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
could be the alt blinked on you

adavid said:
What is the definition of "Failed CVT"? Do you meant that the CVT had to be replaced, or just that there have been problems? I have had problems when it seems that mine has gone into "limp" mode, and I needed to restart. But so far no codes and dealer can't reproduce.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Mo did the same thing just before the lt failed. The Mo just lost all power and would not even rev. In neutral it would. Get your alt checked out.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the info. It has been 10,000 miles since I had the "limp" mode problem, and no problems since then. My alternator is still working.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think mine is slipping see below...

Well i was going 80 and pushed is.. hit about 100... then the car seems to just stay at that speed and i have gone 127 once before just testing it out.... So i tried the S setting on the CVT went to 105 then L went to 115 and then the RPM's went from 6 to 4 and would not accelerate and slowed to 90 or so and would not go faster.... OH and the gas gauge said i used 1/4 of the tank in 4 min but now the car will not register full anymore when i fill up..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really HATE for my first post to this board be a post about a failed CVT! But that’s my story. I bought my brand spanking new Mo this Thursday, 9/30/04. On my 9-mile drive home I noticed that the transmission was acting funny. For example, when I stopped completely (i.e., stop sign, stop light, etc.) I could mash the accelerator to the floor and the car would only go about 2 MPH.
Long story short, I took the car back to the dealer the next day and they stated the entire transmission would need to be replaced! I have to say I was a bit frustrated. I paid 36K for a car less than 12 hours prior and the CVT has already failed??!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would refuse purchase check the UCC you can easily refuse the purchase with such low miles DO NOT listen to dealer they will tell you lies look up the statutes for The Uniform Commercial Code.Herews a nice link http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonUCC.html . REJECTION-The new car buyer may discover a problem with the vehicle within the first few miles of his purchase. This would allow the new car buyer to reject the goods. If the new car buyer discovers a defect in the car within a reasonable time to inspect the vehicle, he may reject the vehicle. This period is not defined. On the one hand, the buyer must be given a reasonable time to inspect and that reasonable time to inspect will be held as an acceptance of the vehicle. The Courts will decide this reasonable time to inspect based on the knowledge and experience of the buyer, the difficulty in discovering the defect, and the opportunity to discover the defect.

The following is an example of a case of rejection: Mr. Zabriskie purchase a new 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne. After picking up the car on Friday evening, while en route to his home 2.5 miles away, and within 7/10ths of a mile from the dealership, the car stalled and stalled again within 15 feet. Thereafter, the car would only drive in low gear. The buyer rejected the vehicle and stopped payment on his check. The dealer contended that the buyer could not reject the car because he had driven it around the the block and that was his reasonable opportunity to inspect. The New Jersey Court said;

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Murano had been driving and acting fine until ~ 200 miles ago. At that time I noticed a turbo-like whine when the car was in gear and starting from a stop. It seemed to disappear at ~ 10-15 MPH although this may have been because of road noise.

I decided to take it in to the dealer. The noise was obvious to them when the car was in gear and not even moving.

Long story short.....a new transmission is being shipped in for replacement. May be the torque convertor I'm told, however, the whole tranny is being replaced.

Update:

Took about a week to get the transmission to the dealer and in the MO.

The service ticket showed a final tally of parts and labor of $5717.17:eek:

The good news is the new CVT seems to be working well, and quietly as before. And I didn't have to pay for any of it!!:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know if this counts as a failure or not, but my Murano developed a leak over the weekend. Just got a call from the dealer that they cannot pinpoint the leak, so they added the dye and want me to drive it for a couple of days. I get to smell the burning fluid on the exhaust that much longer.

When I bring it back, they'll pull the motor and tranny to see if they can fix the leak. They quoted 2~3 days to do the work:( I was hoping to avoid a motor/tranny pull, but I'd rather they do it that way vs. hacking up things just to take a short cut.

Ugh....

Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Then to make matters a little worse, my left headlight goes out on the way back from the dealer. I hope headlights are covered under warranty.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Dave what's going on?

·
Registered
106 Posts
GripperDon said:
Dave what's going on?
The transmission appears to be functioning properly, except for the leak. My best guess is that it's one of the axle seals that is causing the problem. The fluid is hitting the exhaust with enough volume that you can smell the burning fluid aroma inside the car when it's stopped - my wife followed me to the dealer yesterday and said she could smell it pretty bad too. What's strange is that there are no pools of fluid in my garage - go figure....

I began to wonder if this is the precursor to the CVT failures that others have experienced. It would make sense that if you lost the tranny fluid, bad things are going to happen. Now all I need to do is hold it together long enough for the dealer to get the leak fixed. I'll be scheduling the work for next week (keeping fingers crossed).

Dave

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Since I have been told the limit on the CVT is torque, and some folks are morried that an increase in HP may over stress the CVT. I wonder if the great towing ability says something to the margin that Nissan has in the CVT, Might be Good, and the problem has been leakage, you may have hit on something.

1 - 20 of 571 Posts
About this Discussion
570 Replies
156 Participants
Sameri
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing