Votes: 11 2.9%
  • above 200,000 miles

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
521 - 540 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have an AWD or a FWD Murano? Also, what do you mean by hgh and low gear?
Sorry for the delayed response. It is a FWD, and what I mean by hi and low is when you start out typically, the vehicle starts in a higher gear, allowing it to accelerate rapidly. The problem we are having is that sometimes it does not start in that "hi" gear and you have to give it a lot of gas to get going. Kind of like riding a clutch. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE A 2011 MURANO BOUGHT 3 MONTHS AGO AND SICE IT WAS NEW IT HAS A PROBLEM WITH ACCELERATION I CONSTANTLY TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THEY CANT FIND ANYTHING .
THE PROBLEM IS WHENEVER IT WANTS THE MURANO WONT REV PAST 3500 RPMS AND THE SPEED GENERATION GOES SO SLOW THAT AN OLD 86 PICKUP CAN PASS ME. I CANT PASS ANYCAR WHEN ITS LIKE THIS ALSO THE FUEL DROPS SO FAST IT EATS UP ALMOST CUARTER TANK IN A FEW MINUTES. ALSO TO TAKE THIS PROBLEM AWAY I HAVE TO SET THE SHIFT TO MANUAL AND BACK TO AUTO AND WILL WORK FINE FOR A A FEW MINUTES OR SECONDS AND IT WILL GO BAD AGAIN. SOMETIMES WHEN I PUT THE MANUAL IT SHOWS THAT MY TRANSMISSION IS IN 5TH GEAR AT 3000 RPMS AND WONT GO PAST THAT SOMETIMES IT LETS YOU PASS JUST TO 4000 , I HAVE THIS PROBLEM CONSTANTLY AND THE CAR ONLY WORKS FINE MAYBE HALF A DAY EVERY 3 OR 4 DAYS. MY MO HAS 24000KMS NOW BUT IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE I GOT IT FROM THE DEALER BRAND NEW. wHAT CAN IT BE? IS THIS NORMAL?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
There is some exaggeration going on here - such as using a quarter tank of gas in a few minutes. Even if you ran it WOT for a few minutes it wouldn't use "a quarter tank" of fuel.

If you think the transmission is acting up, bring it back to the dealer and have them look at it, you are still under warranty.

I HAVE A 2011 MURANO BOUGHT 3 MONTHS AGO AND SICE IT WAS NEW IT HAS A PROBLEM WITH ACCELERATION I CONSTANTLY TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THEY CANT FIND ANYTHING .
THE PROBLEM IS WHENEVER IT WANTS THE MURANO WONT REV PAST 3500 RPMS AND THE SPEED GENERATION GOES SO SLOW THAT AN OLD 86 PICKUP CAN PASS ME. I CANT PASS ANYCAR WHEN ITS LIKE THIS ALSO THE FUEL DROPS SO FAST IT EATS UP ALMOST CUARTER TANK IN A FEW MINUTES. ALSO TO TAKE THIS PROBLEM AWAY I HAVE TO SET THE SHIFT TO MANUAL AND BACK TO AUTO AND WILL WORK FINE FOR A A FEW MINUTES OR SECONDS AND IT WILL GO BAD AGAIN. SOMETIMES WHEN I PUT THE MANUAL IT SHOWS THAT MY TRANSMISSION IS IN 5TH GEAR AT 3000 RPMS AND WONT GO PAST THAT SOMETIMES IT LETS YOU PASS JUST TO 4000 , I HAVE THIS PROBLEM CONSTANTLY AND THE CAR ONLY WORKS FINE MAYBE HALF A DAY EVERY 3 OR 4 DAYS. MY MO HAS 24000KMS NOW BUT IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE I GOT IT FROM THE DEALER BRAND NEW. wHAT CAN IT BE? IS THIS NORMAL?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
There is some exaggeration going on here -.
Not to mention he claims his MO is only 3 months old and has always been operating poorly yet he has managed to accumulate 15,000 miles.
:confused:

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any thoughts on this issue? Phatty?

Sorry for the delayed response. It is a FWD, and what I mean by hi and low is when you start out typically, the vehicle starts in a higher gear, allowing it to accelerate rapidly. The problem we are having is that sometimes it does not start in that "hi" gear and you have to give it a lot of gas to get going. Kind of like riding a clutch. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Any thoughts on this issue? Phatty?
Unfortunately there are numerous possible causes. Could be a mechanical issue, a malfunctioning sensor, an open circuit somewhere, or something as simple as a loose intake duct or water in your gas tank. But I'm just guessing here, I'm not a mechanic. Have you taken it to a dealer (you trust)? That's definitely step one for you, especially if you can reproduce it on a test drive.

Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately there are numerous possible causes. Could be a mechanical issue, a malfunctioning sensor, an open circuit somewhere, or something as simple as a loose intake duct or water in your gas tank. But I'm just guessing here, I'm not a mechanic. Have you taken it to a dealer (you trust)? That's definitely step one for you, especially if you can reproduce it on a test drive.

Patrick
I just moved to NOVA 6 months ago. Not sure if Cowles Nissan is the best place to take it or not. You are in NOVA, have you had a good experience at a Nissan dealership up here?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just moved to NOVA 6 months ago. Not sure if Cowles Nissan is the best place to take it or not. You are in NOVA, have you had a good experience at a Nissan dealership up here?
Not really. I've been to two in the area, Brown's Fairfax and Passport Alexandria. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Passport. I haven't had enough experience with Passport for a fair comparison, however Brown's never seemed to be on top of their game. I always seemed to leave Brown's grumbling. Passport was good to me the few times I went but I moved closer to Brown's and thought I'd give em a shot.

EDIT: I misread your last post

Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
My CVT failed about a month ago at 103,000. At highway speeds, the engine RPM's rev'd about 1,500 rpm higher than normal, kind of like being stuck in sport mode. Seems like an obvious stepper motor failure based on research, but Nissan wanted the dealer to change the valve assembly, which they did twice. Finally after non-stop black fluid coming out during the transmission flush, the dealer convinced the help line that the CVT had to go. Unfortunately, the replacement CVT was not compatible with the TCU and shifter, and those parts had to be ordered and replaced after the CVT was installed. Seems to me Nissan should have known that. Two weeks later, I finally have the Mo back, almost good as new. If not for the warranty extension, the Mo would be at the salvage yard. I had to pay for a transfer case replacement at about 70,000. I do not think I will be buying another Nissan, especially a CVT AWD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CVT failed on my driving home on the highway in stop and go traffic. Came to a stop, and when I depressed the gas pedal, it would rev to about 2000rpm for a few seconds, then kick in and lurch forward. Took the car to the dealer this morning. Confirmed CVT failure. Dealership is ordering a new one. 3 day install job!

Thank god Nissan extended their warranty to 160,000km! Otherwise, I'd be out $6800.
It's my lucky day!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My First Post. This forum has provided me with information that really helped me and my wallet and also allowed me to hopefully be proactive on the Murano. Regarding my CVT: Almost every component on the passenger side front suspension has gone bad. 82,000 miles.

When I replaced the passenger side axle, the CVT fluid that drained into the catch basin was dark brown and glistened when I walked into the sunlight. Small Metal Flakes. CVT was working fine. Decided to install a remote filter (an oil filter with a Mobil One filter) to filter the particulate out. Removed battery tray and located the remote filter there.

Next, when checking for any fluid leaks after the filter installation, the filter was simply way too hot, couldn't maintain my hand on it for very long. So I decided to install a cooler about a month later. What a difference in temperature. After driving the Murano (2006 SL, FWD), I can actually hold my hand on the bottom of the CVT on the finned cooler and on the other cooler that is on the driver's side front of the cvt which is also cooled by engine coolant. Guessing about 100 degrees. Stop and go traffic is somewhat warmer but can still hold my hand on the CVT. Before the cooler installation, the CVT was just too hot to keep my hand on it for very long.

Don't want to hear too much from members about CVT's design temperature etc.. Mechanical Components typically last longer when cooled. Figure the CVT will last much longer at cooler temps then at the very hot temperature it was running at prior to the cooler install.

Murano CVT is shifting like it should and was before the install. I live in a warm climate so I don't have to worry about the CVT getting too cold, but those who do live in a colder climate, can get a bypass around the cooler. Wasn't easy to install. Went with the biggest cooler I could get, Tru-Cool, and had to cut the bracket that runs vertically in front of the AC Condenser down to the power steering cooler.

Wanted to share this with others as this may help others extend their CVT Life. Doubt it will shorten the life. Also thanks for all your posts as they really helped me maintain the very high maintenance required Murano.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The cooler may help but more importantly the fluid level should be kept on the H mark. Good effort though. :29:Try to post some pix so members may see if they wanna venture on the project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a club I want to be a member of, but I just voted in the 80K-100K category for our 2003. Woo hoo! We'd been experiencing hesitation from a stop and slipping on and off, but no engine lights/codes. Was becoming annoying/dangerous, so we took it to our usual mechanic to see if it might be the throttle body. He changed that out, and drove it around the block - as he did that the check engine light came on and he got a transmission/CVT code. He talked to Nissan and confirmed it most likely needed a new transmission. THANK GOD FOR THE WARRANTY EXTENSION. I checked around for what dealer to go to and opted for the closest to the garage, which is Stadium Nissan - brand new but with decent reviews online. Our mechanic drove it down, they confirmed it needed a new CVT, and a few days later we picked it up. Turns out the fluid was black, and (forgive me, I don't have the invoice here) some piece underneath it was rusted out so they had to replace all that too - at no charge! They also discovered the muffler is rusted out so it seems louder when we drive, but we're getting that fixed today (service dept. recommended we take it to a muffler shop and save some $$ - points for that!). Hopefully once that is done, we'll be right as rain! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
CVT failed on my driving home on the highway in stop and go traffic. Came to a stop, and when I depressed the gas pedal, it would rev to about 2000rpm for a few seconds, then kick in and lurch forward. Took the car to the dealer this morning. Confirmed CVT failure. Dealership is ordering a new one. 3 day install job!

Thank god Nissan extended their warranty to 160,000km! Otherwise, I'd be out $6800.
It's my lucky day!!
I got my Murano back today. While they were replacing the transmission, they told me that the catylitic converter needed to be replaced as well, but the good news was it was under warranty also. My murano has 120,000km on it. I was very shocked to hear it was under warranty, but i obviously did not argue the fact. I did have to pay to have the oil pan replaced, as it had a small hole in it. So, all in all - replaced CVT, catylitic converter, and oil pan for $375. I feel like I really came out on top with this - for a change!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Toronto Area Nissan Dealership that Covered CVT Warranty

It's my lucky day!!
Could you please tell me which dealership in Toronto GTA area and surroundings coverfed your CVT repair n warranty as I might have to bring in mine in the next couple of days because of a seal leak.
Thanks in advance Ryan.

521 - 540 of 571 Posts
About this Discussion
570 Replies
156 Participants
Sameri
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing