• above 200,000 miles

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extended Warranty? About to Buy 2011 SV

My wife and I were dead set to buy a 2012 Kia Sorento EX V6 to replace her 2002 Saturn SL2 with 117K that needs a $1200 transmission repair. However, some of the crap reviews on initial quality problems on edmunds.com scared me and her away from the Kia. So we went with choice number 2, the 2011 Nissan Murano SV. Wife is a little upset in missing out on heated seats. The cost is pretty much the same as the Kia, but of course, comes without the crazy long powertrain warranty. I've done lots of research on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and a few forums. It's a recommended vehicle by Consumer Reports as was the Kia.

Anyway, they had to get our car from another dealership and we should be able to pick it up on Saturday August 6th. We haven't actually paid yet and I declined all the undercoating, paint sealants, warranties, etc. However, it got me thinking and I started searching some more. I see that the CVT is warrantied up to 120K or 10 years on the 03 through 10 models. Does anyone think they'll do the same for the 11 model? Have they made some improvement to the CVT since the 2009 redesign that makes them more confident? I know that extended warranties are sold to make the dealers money, so you're betting against the odds, but I also realize if you get a bad CVT, you're out a lot of money.

What do you guys think about extended warranties on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Limp" CVT

2003 Mo SL w/70K miles. When it's 80+ degrees outside and I have the AC running the CVT suffers from "limp" problem (mentioned by adavid and Jeff46) in prior messages. Nothing shows-up on the computer, probably because by teh time it is checked the engine has cooled down.
Has anyone solved this problem yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I just got a 2011 Murano, AWD. I have a couple of questions:

1. Did Nissan fix the CVT problems for the 2010-2011 models or the transmission is exactly the same?

2. Should I expect that my CVT to fail at some point in the future? is that a must?

I am bit deflated by this CVT matter. I bought the car with the intention to keep it for a few years.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Hi,

I just got a 2011 Murano, AWD. I have a couple of questions:

1. Did Nissan fix the CVT problems for the 2010-2011 models or the transmission is exactly the same?

2. Should I expect that my CVT to fail at some point in the future? is that a must?

I am bit deflated by this CVT matter. I bought the car with the intention to keep it for a few years.
Congrats on your new MO.

1) There are no mechanical problems with the CVT, so there really is nothing to fix.

The big problem with the CVT is Nissan's support. For whatever reason they have decided to treat the CVT as a non-repairable component. So if a $1 connector fails Nissan has instructed their dealers to replace the entire CVT. There are no components nor repair manuals available for the CVT, so there is also no third party support.

2) Yes, your CVT will most definitely fail at some point in the future. Just like conventional automatic transmissions, a component in your JATCO CVT will eventually wear out and the CVT will fail. It is inevitable. All mechanical assemblies eventually fail given enough time and/or cycles. Fortunately, the CVT appears to have an above-average reliability rate so you should be good for a few hundred thousand miles before you really have to worry about it. ;)

Quit worrying and just enjoy the ride. :4:

-njjoe

·
Registered
324 Posts
CVT is not the problem as it is covered by warranty.
It is the transfer case leaks that is the problem and if your warranty is over, then you're looking at a huge repair bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the replies.
I hope Nissan's policy changes and they start fix those transmissions rather than replace them. It doesnt make any change as the cost are so high.

anyway Im going to extend my warranty as long as I can. :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Moderators,

Can we get rid of Katty-"Spammer"-Perry! I count 4 post with possible threatening cookie and they are not the ones that you eat.

Biggun

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see this thread went dead in 2012. Is that a good sign? The most recent posts echo my reason for coming here but the answers don't really help, sure anything will fail at some point, but what is the opinion of how Nissan has improved the car since 2011? I'm looking at 2014 models. Looking to replace a wrecked 04 Pilot. Our rental is a Sentra with CVT. It is strange but I understand what it's doing. Wife says she does not like it, but I think it's working properly. I assume one in a Murano will be smoother. But here is one concern... There is just a "L" on the gearshift selector. How do you downshift for going down mountains? I hit the OD button and it revved to 4K rpm, way too steep. Are you just supposed to ride your brakes down a mountain? That will ruin them. Average drag will not be enough for steep declines.

Normally I would not revive such an old thread, but it is a sticky, so I thought that would be OK.

·
Registered
147 Posts
First, if you're thinking about a 2014, get the 2015 instead. The trans has been revamped and is much more natural in operation.

Second, there is no "downshift" per se for a CVT. there are no "gears".

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
there is no "downshift" per se for a CVT. there are no "gears".
Except for early (first gen) Muranos when there was a `sport' version. SE's have a manual shift mode that allows selection of one of 6, CVT `gears.' My wife still uses that feature on hers - mostly when driving on ice or snow. Our 04 SE - that in 2 more months we will have owned for 11 years and now has 113K miles on it - is still the best car I've ever owned.

Unfortunately, Nissan has largely abandoned its sporty sedans and SUV's. driving (pun intended) many of us to other brands these days. I had an 85 and 95 Maxima (both with MT's), and those were the last Nissan sedans for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The third gen Murano has "virtual gears" too, but of course, it's really just software.

I own an absolutely pristine 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora that I bought new, deep emerald green with Dayton wire wheels and a V8. If I want sporty, I'll drive that. Or the motorcycle. I bought the Murano because I have large dogs that I have to cart around, and I wanted something comfortable for that and everyday use. The Murano fills those requirements in spades.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I own an absolutely pristine 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora that I bought new, deep emerald green with Dayton wire wheels and a V8. If I want sporty, I'll drive that.
My 95 Maxima was only a 5 speed - 6 speed MT's weren't offered way back then. Is your Olds a 5 or 6 speed MT?

Back almost 4 years ago, I couldn't find the model bimmer I wanted (a one owner, just off lease 335xi) with a MT anywhere in New England. I ended up going to western NYS to get the one I'm still driving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Aurora was never offered in a MT. Four speed automatic with a "normal/power" switch for the trans. Push it in, and when you punch it, you had to hold on tight. The thing is a rocket ship.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
No offense, but a car without (& never offered with) a MT just isn't sporty. A car with an auto trans obviates sportiness by definition. The reason I'm no longer interested in Maximas.

Then again, I guess people stopped buying Oldsmobiles and that division went out of business for a reason. Oh well, times change.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That division was closed when the government bought GM and they had to consolidate brands. Saturn also closed, and IIRC perhaps another brand as well, but I don't remember for sure.

I take no offense, but sporty means different things to different people. (You sound like a younger person, and they tend to think in terms of race cars. JMHO) I got all the "must have rocket" out of my system many years ago via high performance motorcycles. If you really want sporty (and if you have the skill and cojones for it) I suggest that as a more competent venue.

Carroll Shelby once said that if he were ever to create a new custom line of cars, he wanted the Aurora engine and drivetrain in them, which he said was among the most technologically advanced and competently designed systems on any line of cars. I guess "sporty" is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm now well into my 60's and still doing real racing, TY. Not that pretend street stuff with cars or bikes. And my DD is a real sports sedan - 335xi w/MT!

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just so I have this straight: you're a professional race driver, something only a few THOUSAND people do out of a nation of over 330 MILLION. I hardly think your particular definition of "sporty" is the same as the rest of the country. While your opinion is certainly valid (for you at least), I'd wager that it isn't shared by very many people.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Just so I have this straight: you're a professional race driver, something only a few THOUSAND people do out of a nation of over 330 MILLION. I hardly think your particular definition of "sporty" is the same as the rest of the country. While your opinion is certainly valid (for you at least), I'd wager that it isn't shared by very many people.
Who said professional? I said a REAL racer (ie as a hobby) - as opposed to street racing, certainly something most people into motorsports wouldn't consider actual competition.

And while I admit `sporty' is indeed a subjective term, I'd also wager it's a term not many people would apply to an old oldsmobile! Nor to a Murano, even though I DID buy the sportiest of those available many years ago.

541 - 560 of 571 Posts
About this Discussion
570 Replies
156 Participants
Sameri
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing