Votes: 11 2.9%
  • above 200,000 miles

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
561 - 571 of 571 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I think that a term like "sporty" means a lot of things to different people....this post will be a historic and personal musing, not an attempt to start a debate.

The related term "sports car" has been applied to all kinds of vehicles. I've heard it (mis)used for pony cars like the Mustang and Camaro. For that matter, a couple of decades ago, I heard it used by a very nice older lady to refer to a 2.5 ton Cadillac Eldorado. I wouldn't be surprised if people also used it in reference to the early Olds Toronado (and those things were very fast for their day.)

To me, a sports car car has two seats. Period. An XK-E 4-seater (even though the rear seat is a package tray) is a "2+2," not a pure sports car. I never referred to a Mustang, Camaro, Javelin, Barracuda or related "pony car" as a sports car. They don't meet my criteria. What about the AMX? Come back next week, I'm still working on that one.

To me, "sporty" refers to a characteristic more than a specific type of vehicle. I've never been able to classify a Murano, most crossover SUVS or any full-size sedan as a "sporty" vehicle. I wouldn't even apply that term to a '67 Impala with a 427 V8 and a 4-speed Muncie or Saginaw transmission. I might be persuaded make an exception for the Porsche Cayenne or Macan, but mostly because they are Porsches, and I'm not very comfortable with applying the term to them. I wouldn't refer to a Land Rover Evoque or Discovery Sport as "sporty", even when they try to cheat by putting the word in the model name.

However, I would refer to a mid-size vehicle such as a Buick Grand National, GTO, Olds Cutlass 4-4-2, GTX, late 60's Malibu, Hurst SC/Rambler and similar muscle cars as sporty. They're just enough smaller than the full-size sedans to qualify in my warped mind.

But I grew up automotively in the 60's. Early in that decade, sports cars were the E-type Jag, Corvette, Triumph, Austin-Healey, MG, Mercedes and Lotus. The Corvette was the only American production-made "sports car" during that period. I think I'm permanently imprinted with that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is what I think of as "sporty" today. Note that it's not some junky looking piece of Japanese sheet metal with an engine that has to wind out to 15,000 rpm to make any power, nor does it have an exhaust megaphone to make the pop-bottle-cylinder engine sound acceptable. BTW, this car looks exactly like this today. It's been well cared for and only has 74,000 original miles. And it's a LOT more plush than a Murano.

Note that this is not a "sports car." But it's a helluva lot nicer than most of them. Myself not being a one-dimensional driver, speed isn't my primary criterion for sporty. But I suppose there are people out there whose definition is that narrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I got tired of searching for my CVT problem. I'm experiencing engagement delay when cold from P to D. It takes about 8 seconds to engage the first time in the morning but after that it shifts perfectly shooth, until parked and left for more than 40 min the same thing happens. After the initial delay I can shift fine from park to drive without problems.

Is my CVT dying?, I have an App for next Monday and need to be prepared. Mine is a 2007 SL AWD with about 77K.

Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All Mo Owners,

Since I am a newby, and want to buy a 2007 or 2008 model Murano, I have one question.

Does the modified/updated CVT cause any problems?

Thx in advance 4 your answers

Greetz,

Zen10

·
Registered
362 Posts
2007 SE Murano, 165,000 KM (about 103,000 miles), no problem with it. Just traded for a 2014 Plat. MO and miss the Manual shift on the 2007. Havent had a chance to calculate the mileage on the 2014 but seems less than the '07. Photo of the '07 attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
121K miles on my 04 SE, bought new 10/04. CVT is still on the original fluid, and is still performing flawlessly. (knock on wood, of course!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought our 2010 Murano LE used last year and it had 100,000 miles on it, the vehicle cosmetically looked damn near brand new and mechanically we couldn’t find any problems with it, and was really well taken care of by the previous owners, it was an older couple who drove lots on Church type business cards guess, they had the CVT replaced when it was under warrranty so the cvt had been replaced, for us we’ve had it over a year and it’s been a great vehicle and we love it a ton, other then the 100000 + miles on the vehicle it’s still the n great shape and gets great mileage and drive fantastic, I’ve seen sellers selling Muranos with nearly 150k on them and the Murano is still in amazing condition overall, anyway we probably won’t put more then a thousand miles a year on it so hopefully it’ll last quite a few more years for us

BC

561 - 571 of 571 Posts
About this Discussion
570 Replies
156 Participants
Sameri
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing