Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was driving and I started hearing this clicking noise... similar to the noise I used to hear when I was a kid riding my bike with cards in the spokes. The clicking soon became clunking and my mo started shaking, convulsing even... then the sputtering began as I made my way to pull over and by the time I parked my mo was sounding more like a diesel locomotive and handling like it was having a seizure... Called Nissan Roadside and they towed me to the local dealership...

Differential dead... Parts ordered, replaced under warranty...

Now when driving.. there's a mild shudder/vibration in the drive while on smooth surfaces that wasn't there before, and I'm not sure if it's related or not, but in the massive rain the other day I felt the mo slipping, not grabbing the road.. the slip light didn't come on when the mo wasn't gripping the road, so I pulled over and tried to engage the AWD lock, and I noticed that the switch wouldn't "CLICK" on... when I pressed the switch, the light came on but the button didnt' click/lock in..

It seems as though just touching the switch now activiates the system.. much like lightly pressing the Auto button on the HVAC controls activates that system. I'm certain that before this Differential problem, I would press the AWD lock button and there would be a click like that of the heated seats buttons...

Am I going crazy? should the AWD lock switch LOCK/CLICK into place? or is this slight tap of the button all it should take to engage the system? I'm concerned that now I've got an issue with the awd system due to shoddy or incomplete work done when the differential was replaced...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
TheBar2k-

WOW!! Failed dif?! That is pretty damn rare. Those are usually bullet-proof.

The AWD switch is a momentary-contact switch. Tap it and the AWD system energizes. Tap it again and it goes off. It is not a "rocker" switch.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I think there's a TSB to replace the AWD button and control mechanism if you have a tranfer case failure, maybe they did it for you too.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes they now replace the switch when in for related service. Its a "soft" swithc which on the next startup will return to "off".

Remember don't engage AWD on hard surfaces... you can damager your tranny... maybe related to your issue.

If you continue to have a shudder/vibration go back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
03 and 04 had a rocker switch for the AWD lock. However, Nissan specifies in the transfer case TSB that the AWD switch also gets replaced with a the one you noted, which no longer locks in place when pressed. You can find the TSB under "bulletins" at

www.nissanhelp.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts