Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
First of all, Ouch, that sucks....

The Murano doesn't detect if a passenger is there, so it doesn't use that as a qualifier for air bag deployment.

The various air bags have different sensors, and by the looks of the picture, it appears the passenger side took more of the impact.

I'll go look in the Service Manual, but I suspect the drivers's side was not deployed, as the system did not determine that it was necessary to do so.

I'm curious... Did you want it to deploy? Would it have helped? Sometimes it's better not to deploy the air bag...

·
4,664 Posts
This should help...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
According to that chart from the 2004 Murano Service Manual, both sides should have deployed... Interesting question for your dealer and it should be checked.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The collision certainly looks to be frontal and not from the side. The Muranos tires are pointed straight ahead so there was apparently no (steering) avoidance manuever.

How fast was the Murano moving at impact? How about the other car? Notice how his hub cap has a hole in it? I wonder if it wasn't a glancing blow at low speed?

I can't see why the driver's side didn't fire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It looks like it may have impacted the Honda at an angle... i.e. the Mo was travelling straight but the Honda was at a none perpendicular angle to it. The passenger side hit first and took the brunt of the impact, and then the honda rotated to become perpendicular at rest. The impact from the roatation might not have been enough to set off the airbag.

Still that diagram states they both should have deployed? Thats a serious concern...

No-one was hurt I hope?

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, that's why I was curious what the manual said. I could see if there were two sensors, one for each side, that one would not deploy. But it does not appear to be the case.

But at the same time, I see the logic of both deploying, because an impact significant to require one airbag, would qualify for both, I would expect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts