Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Magellan RoadMate 1700 GPS from NewEgg.com for $119. The 7” screen is a perfect fit for my 2006 Murano. I replaced the factory screen with the Magellan. The whole process took about 25 minutes. It looks great. No one can tell it's not a factory installation. I don’t have any pics to share right now, but others have done this and they have pics posted. See http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136030 and http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/101265-my-alternate-factory-navigation-solution.html

I have an existing OEM backup camera and I connected it to the video input of the Magellan by connecting to the wires that go to pins 4 and 15 of the M38 connector that was previously connected to my factory screen. The backup camera works just like it did before. The only problem I have is that I no longer have the my original factory display that shows clock, temps, music, MPG, etc. But I’m hoping I can solve this problem with help from this forum. I understand the factory display requires an RGB video signal. The video input of the Magellan requires a composite video signal. I need a RGB to composite video converter, also known as a scan converter. I found one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260414149623, but I’m not sure if this will work. I’m also not sure what wires need to be connected to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Smith

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've been wanting to just upgrade the screen as well. and if u get everything to show on the screen as before i'm def interested! i have an 07 with the color display with backup but no navi. did yours originally have navi?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've been wanting to just upgrade the screen as well. and if u get everything to show on the screen as before i'm def interested! i have an 07 with the color display with backup but no navi. did yours originally have navi?
No, mine didn't have navi either. I was just like yours, color display with backup. But I have navi now. The Magellan Roadmate 1700 is a great after market replacement screen. All we need is a RGB to composite video converter and we need to understand what which wires carry the RGB signals. I know there are people in this forum who can advise us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
great! hopefully we get some responses! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you identify the video input to the Magellan? I know I can convert the OEM RGB....
It was easy because the Magellan already has a video input jack. I had a compatible video cable on hand that came with my Flip video camera. I understand IPod video cables work too. The cable has a 3.5mm jack on one end and RCA jacks on the other. You might be interested in this video:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How come they don't put it in the specs? I never saw any mention of it...
How do you switch from one to the other?
I don't know why this feature does not get more attention. It's mentioned, but for some reason Magellan doesn't play it up. Take a look at RoadMate® 1700-MU and click on "Features" and near the bottom you'll see:
A/V Input: External Audio/Video input allows you to use the WVGA screen for your personal video.
The video is switched automatically. Apparently there is a sensor that detects the presence of a video signal and it automatically swithes to to the external composite video iput. When I put my Mo in reverse, the GPS screen changes from GPS mode to show the image from my OEM rear camera. When I take it out of reverse, it automatically switches back to GPS mode. I only connected the wires that go to pins 4 and 15 of the M38 connector that was previously connected to my factory screen to the RCA video jack on the video cable that is plugged into the video input jack of the Magellan. I didn't expect it to be so easy. I hope you can help with converting the OEM display's RGB video signal to composite video. I'll just need to add an AV switch and I'll be able to toggle back and forth from the factory screen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These converters are available on ebay for a buck. I wonder if they will work?
Actually, I did look at those. See it here:
RGB Scart to Composite Adapter. It might work. It might be hard to connect wires to that mail SCART connector, but I could probably get a cable with a female SCART connector on one end and wire to that. It's so cheap, I don't have much to loose from trying it. I found a diagram on the web that shows which SCART pins carry the RGB video signals. I'll just need to know which wires on the Murano carry the RGB video signals to the OEM display so I can connect to them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at those too and I mentioned that one at the start of this thread. I don't consider $100 too pricey to get my OEM display back. But, I'd hate to waste a $100 if it doesn't work for my purpose. Maybe someone on this forum can confirm what will work. There might be come differences in RGG video signals that I need to be aware of in order to get a scan converter that's compatible with the Mo diplay's RGB.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There are lots of cables/connectors on ebay. Just search SCART cable...BUT after reading the description of the cheapie adapter, it looks like the RGB is output only, so it won't work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are lots of cables/connectors on ebay. Just search SCART cable...BUT after reading the description of the cheapie adapter, it looks like the RGB is output only, so it won't work
I'm about ready to buy this
RGB To NTSC PAL TV Converter With Composite S-Video Output
The descriptions says
This RGB converter is a great solution for converting the standard 15Khz RGB output from your RGB legacy device, DVD player, GPS navigation system or computer workstation into a TV signal. The RGB input signal can be from CGA, Scart or YUV video sources. This RGB converter also allows a standard arcade game resolution at 15KHz signal to be displayed on a regular NTSC television. It works with all the legacy CGA RGB devices with analog outputs at 15Khz horizontal frequency with composite sync.
I wonder the Murano's RGB outputs outputs at 15Khz horizontal frequency with composite sync. Does anyone know how I can find out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Murano RGB has 4 wires: R, G, B, and sync. The RGB are in one sub cable, and the sync is in another. Look at your shop manual wiring diagram...
Thanks. I don't have a shop manual wiring diagram, but I'm pretty sure I can find one. Or, maybe you can save me the trouble. Do you happen to know what color the wires are or what their pin positions are in the M38 connector? I'm assuming they are in the M38 connector that connects directly to the color display.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
RED - Green/yellow tracer M38 pin 17
GREEN - Green/red tracer 6
BLUE - Green/orange tracer 18
RGB Ground - Shield 7

RGB SYNC - Green 19
SYNC Ground - Shield 21

I think the shield leads are black, but I am not certain

If you get it let me know how it works. I am right behind you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murano RGB has 4 wires: R, G, B, and sync. The RGB are in one sub cable, and the sync is in another. Look at your shop manual wiring diagram...
Great! Thanks! Theebay RGB converter has this wiring diagram

It should be fairly simple to connect the wires. I've emailed the eBay seller and asked him he knows if it will work in this application. I'll post back when I get an answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've been searching through this forum the last few weeks, trying to seek info on how to put navigation in my friends Murano. I must say the Murano is quite a nice vehicle, and this place is a great resource. Anyways, I found some info that might help with this project......

Converting RGBHV to composite video on Infiniti fx
Need information for Nissan/Infiniti factory LCD

Converter
RGB to Video Converter

I would assume that the fx has a similar layout of how the factory lcd is wired (RGBHV) like the Murano.

~Dan

1 - 20 of 87 Posts