Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 Murano SL and thought I would post some tips/nuggets of info/answers to FAQ from the Owner's Manual & this forum. It may be helpful to other new owners. Maybe other people could post tips on getting to most out of their MO and this would be easier to read than trying to wade thru that owner's manual!

Anyways, here some tips which mostly have to deal with the keyfob/tech/gadget accessory side (I haven't started reading the Nav manual yet!)

Gary
--------------------------
2009 SL AWD

Front Windows Rolling Down - Holding down the unlock button rolls down the front windows. You can't roll up the windows by pushing any button on the fob. (2009 Owner's Manual - pg 3-16). Windows may 'magically' appear to have rolled down because button was accidentally pushed - ex. have tight pants/other objects in pocket/step on remote...
To roll the windows up - Remove the actual key from the fob and insert it into the driver's door and then turn and hold it to the left and it will lock your car and roll your windows up.(pg 3-5)

Power outlets - There are 3 - one inside of the center arm rest console, along with a small gap so that if you're using that power source you can close the console without pinching the wire. Another one is on the passenger side in the cargo area and one below the display console inside the small storage area. (pg 2-39)

Nav Map Updates - see http://www.navigation.com. Once you purchased your code from this site, you have to take your MO and the code to a Nissan dealer to update the maps (usually for a fee).

Music Box CD song title updates -If you have ripped a CD in your Music Box and the song names appear as "Track1," "Track2," "Track3,", you can add album information - see Nissan Music Box Updates from Gracenote - Nissan USA. It can't update song titles from 'mix tape' cds.

Music Box CD Listings: You can only search the CD's in the Music Box (accessed thru the Menu button on the Music Box screen) when the car is stopped/in Park. While moving, the search options are not available. (Owner's manual pg 4-4 but no specific listing of unavailable options)

Bluetooth: For phone compatibility and setup guide, see Nissan Bluetooth Wireless Phone Technology - Nissan USA

Compact Flash (CF) cards: System can only read 2 Gb so cards over 2Gb may still work but won't allow more songs to be read.
With NAV: Max # songs - 512 spread over < 255 folders. Without NAV: 999 songs and folders (pg 4-27).
You cannot move songs from the Music Box hard drive to the CF card or vice versa.

When locking the doors using the fob, to NOT sound the horn and only have lights flash: Push the fob's Unlock and Lock buttons together for more than 2 seconds. To undo, repeat. (pg 3-17)

Instrument needles jump momentarily to the upper range when starting MO: this is normal and no need for concern (page 2-4)

Doors locking: All doors will lock automatically when Mo reaches 15 mph/24 kph - to de-activate LOCK, push ignition to ON and then within 20 sec , push and hold the power door lock switch to the LOCK position for more than 5 seconds. Now doors will not lock. All doors will unlock when MO is shut off - to deactivate, repeat steps pushing the UNLOCK door switch. Nissan dealer can customize this function to lock/unlock when Mo is taken out of PARK. (Owners Manual pg 3-6 and Quick Ref Guide - pg 4).

Changing Cabin Air Filter - http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009/12583-cabin-air-filter.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I feel red faced - I should have looked in the general discussion forum as I see there's a sticky for Murano FAQ! oh well...newbie mistake...

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I applaud the effort. The other FAQ deals mostly with first generation issues but this one is for the second generation. I think you and others should keep adding to this!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, good work. Second Gen needs love too.

So all i have to add is:

Rear Power Lift-gate: If you push the button on the lift-gate twice to open, it allows you to open it manually.

Intelligent Key: The intelligent key will not allow you to lock your key in the car. It will beep vigorously. However if you want to lock one of the fobs in the car you can by using the second key to lock the door from the outside. This will deactivate the fob that is locked in the car temporarily. (This is good for when the wife wants to leave her purse in the car and her fob is in her purse...)

Bluetooth Phone Interface: When making a call, press the call button twice and you wont have to listen to the bluetooth lady saying "after the beep please state your command..." or whatever she says that is annoying. Just hit the button twice and speak the command.

iPod Interface: To toggle to the iPod you have to hit the "DISK" button. (I think this is stupid and it should be the "AUX" button but oh well.)

I think thats all i got to add for now.

Question, is there a way to stop the beeping on the power lift-gate?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I like where this thread is heading, so I made it a "sticky".

-njjoe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem, Mattski...

2 more things:

Intelligent key fob - if you start the MO and decide to go back inside the house to change coats and leave the key fob in the other coat, you can still drive off. You don't need the key fob on you after starting the MO to drive it. (this thread...).

Emergency stop - For an emergency stop (ie. killing the engine), push ignition switch 3 consecutive times or push and hold the ignition switch for more than 2 seconds. (pg 5-9)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manuals

Manuals - owners manual found at Nissan Owner Manuals and Guides - Nissan USA and Nissan Canada - Owners

The US site also has guides for:

• NAV system
  • Quick reference
  • Towing
  • Warranty booklet
  • Service and maintenance
The Service Manuals are found here.

Searching the service manuals - once you're downloaded all the pdfs into a folder on your pc, you can open the fwd.pdf (for forward?) which is the Quick Index Reference and it is an index to all the other service manual pdfs - it lists the full name for the other pdfs and you can just click on the one you want from it...

The GI.pdf - the General Information manual - may be useful as it tells you how to use the service manual and contains chapters such as how to diagnose electrical problems, how to read the diagrams and symbols etc...

If you don't know which pdf manual may contain what you're looking for, you can search for words/terms in all of the service manual pdfs. To do this, open one of them in Adobe Reader and press SHIFT-CTRL-F which will open a dialogue box in which you can specify the folder that you downloaded all the pdfs into.

It will then search for that word/term in all the service manual pdfs (or any pdfs in the specified folder and it's sub-folders).
I also have the owners and nav pdfs in the same folder so it searches them as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting to ACC mode: To turn off the MO's engine and not interrupt your ongoing radio listening or bluetooth phonecall, double press the start button very quickly (as fast as possible) - this will take you from engine running to ACC mode 'instantly'. You must press the button twice more (can be at normal speed) to turn everything off. (Courtesy of hokey777 in this thread...not sure where in manual...)

Intelligent key battery:
The intelligent key's battery is suppose to last at least 2 years (Owners Manual pg 3-8).
But the fob will still start the MO even if the battery is completely discharged.
You just have to stick the dead fob into the fob port/slot ("Nissan" end in first) below the Start button and press the Start button. (pg 5-12)
See pg 8-22 on how to remove/replace the CR2032 battery.

Intelligent Key - backup key:
If you want to have a 'emergency key/fob', in case of losing your keys (No, I've never lost my keys, nope, not me...- oh look over there - a LE - let's go hookup our Ipods...)...Anyway...to do this:

• Remove the key blade from the fob and hide it on the outside of the MO (ex. using a magnetic key case)
  • Remove the battery from a working fob so it's not 'active' - i.e. receiving radio waves from MO - and can be locked inside MO and the battery is not necessary (see above tip)
  • Hide the fob (very very well) inside the MO
Now you have a backup key/fob for unlocking and starting your MO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Automatic Door Unlock in Park

As shipped from the factory North American Muranos automatically unlock the doors when the ignition is turned off.

BUT, it can be changed by the dealer to unlock when the Transmission is placed into the Park position. (Page 3-6 in the owners manual)

My dealer did this for me without charge. I find it much more convenient.

--jayhawk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you repost CHG and DLK? There seems to be an error and I can't download these two. Everything else works great. Thanks. For 2009 :-(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Intelligent Key - backup key:
If you want to have a 'emergency key/fob', in case of losing your keys (No, I've never lost my keys, nope, not me...- oh look over there - a LE - let's go hookup our Ipods...)...Anyway...to do this:

• Remove the key blade from the fob and hide it on the outside of the MO (ex. using a magnetic key case)
  • Remove the battery from a working fob so it's not 'active' - i.e. receiving radio waves from MO - and can be locked inside MO and the battery is not necessary (see above tip)
  • Hide the fob (very very well) inside the MO
Now you have a backup key/fob for unlocking and starting your MO.

My local locksmith duplicated the cut key in my Murano key fob. Cost $3.00. I hide this duplicate key in a hide a key container on the outside of the vehicle. I have one of my Murano Nissan fobs with the battery removed, the battery itself both stashed /hidden inside the car. Did the same set-up for my sons 2010 370Z. Note, I opted not to use my key original fob key in the outside hide a key box because I was afraid it might get lost or damaged by moisture, etc..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi There,

Thanks for the useful info. I just have a quick question, I recently purchased a Murano SV 2011, and I noticed I am not able to change the background color. I can see the option on the screen, but there are no color theme to choose from. Is that available to SL,LE models only?
Also, I don't see the tire pressure under fuel economy. Is that a SL/LE feature too?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi There,

Thanks for the useful info. I just have a quick question, I recently purchased a Murano SV 2011, and I noticed I am not able to change the background color. I can see the option on the screen, but there are no color theme to choose from. Is that available to SL,LE models only?
Also, I don't see the tire pressure under fuel economy. Is that a SL/LE feature too?

Thanks in advance,

I think you get a warning if one of the tires is out of range. But no tire pressure. probably in the near future.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The "Color Theme" looks to be new to 2011 (page 4-16 of your Owners Manual) - not much info on it tho. Figure it out or have your dealer explain it to you and report back what you find.

Edit: BTW, Are you trying to change the color while moving? I wonder if this is another one of those options that you can only change while parked.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
37 Participants
techgnostic
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing