Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on pressure washers but haven't quite found the information I am looking for yet.

I very much enjoy spending time detailing my cars and washing them by hand. A friend of mine also enjoys washing his cars but prefers to use a pressure washer on his cars (washes in the garage out of the sun, squeegees the water out of his garage)

Could I get your feedback on the following?

1) I am considering getting a pressure washer anyway for my house siding and for stripping off my deck stain. Is the pressure washer a bad option for washing the car?

2) If it isn't bad for the car are there any techniques you would suggest for cleaning the car using a pressure washer?

3) What pressure washer company/model would people recommend purchasing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pressure washers can be very dangerous if they fall in to the wrong hands. Being you are a cautious car detailer - you will find it to be quite fun if you respect the tool.

Here are my thoughts.
Get gas powered. Most of them have a higher pressure rating than electrical counterparts. This isn't critical for auto applications but you'll find it handy for the house and deck. Also, something about standing in water with a power cord running through it scares the poo out of me.

When using on your car - turn the pressure down. Don't use any more pressure than you need - otherwise you could end up with a naked car. Don't get too close. It will still require the use of a wash mitt and soap. It is easy to tell the difference between a car that has been hand washed. The nice thing about a pressure washer is it will get more big grime off the car than a standard hose which will result in less stuff getting swirled around on the paint.

It works very well for degreasing under the hood and under-carriage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
speaking of washing, is it OK to spray the engine with water (using a regular garden hose nozzle)?

I've never done that, but i've got some leaves and stuff that needs whisking away there.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes you can spray the engine.

I would recommend staying away from the air filter. Everything else is pretty fair game.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Yes you can spray the engine.

I would recommend staying away from the air filter. Everything else is pretty fair game.
NEVER spray the engine when hot or you can crack your exhaust manifold. Wait til it has cooled down somewhat, but before it is cold. You can clean a warm engine much better than a cold one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts