Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07' Murano has recently been absorbing every bump in the road. Very odd driving a vehicle like this and feeling every bump in the road. Also, while going over some bumps, I feel the rear end slip and kick out--a minor fishtail.
Any ideas where I should start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 07' Murano has recently been absorbing every bump in the road. Very odd driving a vehicle like this and feeling every bump in the road. Also, while going over some bumps, I feel the rear end slip and kick out--a minor fishtail.
Any ideas where I should start?
As far as feeling the bumps: If you have changed tire recently, sometimes different tires have different sidewall stiffnesses. Or if you have gone with a lower profile tire due to something like running a bigger wheel, that affects ride. Also shocks or struts is also a likely suspect as well as over inflated tires.

As for the fishtailing: Check rear ball joints, hubs, tire pressure maybe being too low.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Any recent change to tire inflation?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Frozen rear shock?

-njjoe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too...

Bought my 2009 Mo SL AWD used in late 11/2010. Has 4 new BF Goodrich Long Trails at 33psi all around. Wheel alignment checks out. Rims are new also, yet whenever I go over rough roads the rear jumps to the left. First time this happened, I thought it was just that stretch of roadway but this has been consistent. What gives? I really like this SUV but definitely would like to find a fix. :1zhelp:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All tires are inflated to 36psi. Had it aligned recently as well. The dealer had told me I was starting to get play in one of the front control arms and then proceeded to try and charge me like $800 for it and I passed. I don't understand why the rear end feels like it's kicking out? I guess I have to get the springs/shocks checked out. It only has 50k on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,290 Posts
You need the entire suspension and shocks checked. This is potentially dangerous. Read the other thread for info about the process that Hokey777 went through.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had the rear shocks replaced which did not help at all. I understand what you are saying about the strange feeling of the rear kicking out. We did a tire/wheel swap with OEMs, and I no longer felt it. I have my Spec-X inflated to 45psi (tire says 50 max), which helps, but still not perfect. I can't wait for these tires to run out of tread :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the rear shocks replaced which did not help at all. I understand what you are saying about the strange feeling of the rear kicking out. We did a tire/wheel swap with OEMs, and I no longer felt it. I have my Spec-X inflated to 45psi (tire says 50 max), which helps, but still not perfect. I can't wait for these tires to run out of tread :)
I was told by a local shop that increasing the air pressure would only make my ride harsher. Since I suffer from chronic pain disability I need a softer yet controlled ride.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I believe that is true, the ride is a little bit harsher, but it does stiffen up the sidewall which makes it less wishy-washy.

Did you have the new tires put on, or previous owner/dealer. You might take it back to them and ask for new/different tires. Or maybe you could find someone near by that would be willing to spend a couple hours with you and do a swap tires for a test. ???

·
Super Moderator
8,290 Posts
I was told by a local shop that increasing the air pressure would only make my ride harsher. Since I suffer from chronic pain disability I need a softer yet controlled ride.
It makes the ride harsher because it makes the sidewall stiffer. It also improved handling and may improve gas mileage. But there's a point of diminishing returns, and if the ride causes pain, then reducing tire pressures is one way to smooth the ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
*Update*

Had my Mo taken to a different mechanic regarding wheel alignment, as it's under an insurance warranty. Lo and behold, the left rear toe was out of alignment. She's running as straight as a Samurai sword now!

No more left rear kick out over rough pavement and steering is under control once more. Hope this helps those with 1st Gen Mo's having issues similar to mine, or anyone else for that matter. :29:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on Murano Bouncing off Road

I finally replaced my shocks and the problem was solved. Didn't believe the dealer when they wanted to replace them, but in the end, they were right. The bad thing is that there was no fluid leaking from the shock, so one mechanic said they were fine. Anyway, so no more fishtailing of my 2007 Murano

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, just the rears. Now they're telling me I need new front control arms. I think I just need to trade it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
did you get and alignement on the front and rear it make a difference for the straitening on the road.

sorry my english is not really good

1 - 20 of 24 Posts