Nissan Murano Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
You may be right, as it does seem that the dealer could have done the research to make a call on this.

I've sold cars for a living. Sure, dealers service non-manufacturer vehicles as well. But when they add fluids, they either use a factory fluid or they do their own homework to determine which fluid to use. Unless they had a bottle of the fluid a customer uses in hand to research, I sure wouldn't take a customer's word for what they added. Most people have no idea what they're doing when it comes to following those specs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Never completely trust the label on the aftermarket fluids. Specs change from vehicle to vehicle and year to year. The final authority is the fluids listed in the owner's manual, and they will generally be Nissan-branded. However, the manual normally also lists the characteristics or fluid specs. Other brands of oil or other fluids can be used if they meet those specs.

Sometimes the specs are rather arcane, but it does pay to take the time and figure it out. I have been known to camp outside a parts store with my smart phone doing research on fluid types when i'm forced to pick up something on the fly.
Always use oem fluids if topping off
A couple weeks ago I noticed the power steering fluid was very low, the reservoir only had a small amount. Topped it off with Prestone Power Steering Fluid 12 Ounce (Part #: AS269Y) - today I had my vehicle at the dealership to have the air bled out and they came back to me and said they would have to flush the system because I topped it off with the wrong fluid. Long story short and about $400 later I'm feeling like I was ripped off.

The Prestone fluid that I picked up stated it was safe for use in ALL Nissan vehicles.

"Power Steering Fluid; Premium full. synthetic technology with the newest additive chemistry, designed for extreme temperatures and extended fluid life. Provides protection against wear, corrosion, fluid breakdown and foaming to maintain optimal performance. Engineered for Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Nissan, and Scion."

Can anyone with knowledge on this reply? If it was harmless to my vehicle, I am looking for some firepower to return to the dealership with.
I can appreciate that you tried to keep it full. You really have something to worry about when level is so low that the pump makes a whining sound. It's hard to avoid when in a pinch like that, however, it's always good practice to go oem on fluids. Also, if using aftermarket make sure it does meet the spec in the manual, sometimes it does list an aftermarket fluid right next to the dealer fluid for that piece of equipment. You did get ripped off at $400 for a flush. It's really easy to do yourself with zero equipment, at all. I realize you may not service your own vehicle but keep in mind this forum and all the resources out there like youtube for certain jobs. Also, it's never good to use an aftermarket with those leak seal additives. I'm surprised the dealer didnt mention anything about a leak since you were so low on fluid. When you change fluid types like that it can damage a rack and pinion even worse if its leaking already. Sometimes hoses need to be replaced if leaking. I generally flush it myself. I lift the front end on my car. Drain the existing fluid out of the reservoir. Detach the return hose from the rachk at the reservoir and plug that hole left behind in the reservoir, with a bag and hose clamp. Lift that hose into a drain pan and maybe shove a clear hose into it if need added length. This will allow you to see the old dirty fluid flush out until clean fresh fluid comes out. Fill the reservoir with fresh clean oem fluid. Then turn the steering wheel back and forth making sure to hold it tight in both directions for an extra second or two. Make sure to watch the clear hose and add fluid to the reservoir every couple turns, it's ok to over fill the reservoir over the max line at this point. Once clean fluid is visible, pull out the clear hose and jam the return hose back on the reservoir really quick. Turn the steering wheel a couple more times and drain excess out of reservoir. I think the dealer does this with the car running and uses the pump to circulate the fluid. I do mine with the car off. I hope I don't sound like a know it all. that's not my intention, I still learn something new everyday from the folks on this forum. So thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
One thing totally agreed - $400 was way too high.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Darn, what happened to quality control? My gf has the stupid service agreement with autonation to get the oil changed and they always recommend something when she goes in. Last time was the power steering, they charge $120 for a flush. This was at autonation. I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe find a reputable mechanic to get a second opinion with before the fortune gets spent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just had my first oil change done on my '19. This first oil change was free from the dealer I purchase my Murano from. I noticed on the service web page it listed both synthetic and conventional oil change options. So I asked if they were going to use synthetic, because Nissan specifies 0w20 and that it only comes in synthetic, and they said yes.

My service page lists: 999BK-0W20MSN GEN NIS 0W20 BULK, 6 quarts @ $2.18. It also mentions they used premium oil.

I Googled 999BK-0W20MSN:

They used that exact oil on mine when I had my oil change lol 😊

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Both my '19 Murano and '17 Maxima came with low levels of PS fluid. I had purchased a quart of Nissan E-PSF for the Maxima so I had it on hand for the Murano.
Same here, my '19 was also delivered with a low PS fluid level...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts