Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated only having two remote fobs for my Murano. I always like for each driver to have their own fob and one kept in the safe as the spare. I've found this system of accountability to be very effective in preventing lost fobs. Can't drive if you don't have your fob!

Even when new, the dealer wanted over $700 for a spare fob at pickup. Later, it just seemed to get higher, with it being about $800 now when it's all said and done, depending on the level of your fob.

I had this popup one time while online.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Peripheral Input device

After a little research, I bit the bullet and bought it on a flash sale, 40% off. For larks, I also went and bought a cheap China knockoff fob, using the FCC ID# for compatibility.

Here's a video, before and after the pairing process. I didn't record the process itself, which I'm glad I didn't. I was nervous enough knowing I was dealing with the car's key security system.

I'm very happy with the results. Now each of us has our own key fob and I now have one safely put away. I would recommend this kit to anyone who needs another key fob for their Murano.

Have a good day.

· Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking and matching the FCC ID# of the original OEM fob is the way to go. Get their SKU # and do a search to see if you can find it a little cheaper somewhere else. That price isn't too bad, considering it's about 1/3 of the total dealer cost.

You can also call Car Key Express to verify compatibility if you're not sure and want verification other than the web.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

· Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, the cost is far better than getting it from a Nissan dealer.

Where did you come across the 40% off deal, and did include everything in my previous post for $230.90? That would be a price that would appeal to me.
Just checked my Amazon invoice. I purchased it on 11/22 for $116.93 w/tax. It's not marked, but I believe it was one of those flash sales that lasts for only 6 hours. The extra China fob was $18.62 from AliExpress. $10 to cut the two keys in the new fobs at a local hardware store. Total of less than $150 for two fobs.

The box came with the programmer and one fob. I'd rather have my keys cut locally.

On a side note, fobs 3 & 4 are recognized by the Intelligent Key system and will auto adjust the driver's settings when hitting unlock. Fob 3 uses driver settings # 1 and fob 4 uses driver settings #2. They have to be turned on in the system once they are added to function with the memory buttons and the auto adjust function.

My main advice to anyone wishing to do this is first download the manual from the web site so that you can print it out in a larger format that you can actually read. Read, read, read and reread the instructions! Sit in the car and go thru the motions and fully understand how to hold and press the fob to the start button per the instructions. The button on the programmer is sensitive and can be finicky when having to press for the 2 seconds where required, mistaking it for a simple press, ending the process.

Not in the instructions is that when finished, and having unplugged the programmer, you must use the first fob to start the car by pressing the start button with the fob itself. When completed, the Murano will display a message that the key programming is complete - Press OK.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

· Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm finding a number if their kits available on Amazon. They have a 4 button fob version available for $109, and a 5 button for $109, but they only support up to 2014 Muranos. So there's hope the ones for the newer Muranos may become available for a really reasonable price, under $150.

Amazon.com: Car Keys Express Simple Key Smart 4 Button Remote for Nissan : Automotive

I also found a 2019-2020 Rogue 5 button fob with my FCC ID available for under $50 . It's odd the Rogue would have a different fob than other Nissan cars of the same model year...

Amazon.com: 5 Buttons Keyless Entry Remote Control Replacement Smart Key Proximity Fob Fits for Nissan Rogue 2019-2020 FCC ID: KR5TXN4 Continental: S180144507 : Automotive
Using a CapitalOne card on Amazon, it will give another $32 off for the programmer. I believe the FCC ID# and frequency are the main two things to match.

I believe that the programmer locks itself to the car the first time it's run. The first time I ran it, I had to start the car as a first step. This wasn't required the next time I attempted to program the fobs. This would explain why there are different programmers for the different cars, even though the key's FCC ID# may be the same for another Nissan. This also prevents you from just buying cheap fobs and using it to program them to another car.

FYI, I went back and looked at the original fob specs on AliExpress and the only numbers that match my OEM fob is the frequency and FCC ID#. This kind of reinforces my thoughts that those are the only two numbers that matter. If they match, the number of buttons on both fobs will be the same.

Have a good day.

• Helpful
Reactions: MuranoSL2003
1 - 4 of 4 Posts