Nissan Murano Forum banner

Finally, a cheap way to add a remote fob at home, without going to the dealer or locksmith.

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulDay 
#1 ·
I hated only having two remote fobs for my Murano. I always like for each driver to have their own fob and one kept in the safe as the spare. I've found this system of accountability to be very effective in preventing lost fobs. Can't drive if you don't have your fob!

Even when new, the dealer wanted over $700 for a spare fob at pickup. Later, it just seemed to get higher, with it being about $800 now when it's all said and done, depending on the level of your fob.

I had this popup one time while online.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Peripheral Input device

After a little research, I bit the bullet and bought it on a flash sale, 40% off. For larks, I also went and bought a cheap China knockoff fob, using the FCC ID# for compatibility.

Here's a video, before and after the pairing process. I didn't record the process itself, which I'm glad I didn't. I was nervous enough knowing I was dealing with the car's key security system.

I'm very happy with the results. Now each of us has our own key fob and I now have one safely put away. I would recommend this kit to anyone who needs another key fob for their Murano.

Have a good day.

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
Reactions: fotomoto
#4 ·
My '19 SL fob has a FCC ID of KR5XN7. Perhaps your '20 fob is a different trim level and may have a different FCC ID that don't carry...

#5 ·
Checking and matching the FCC ID# of the original OEM fob is the way to go. Get their SKU # and do a search to see if you can find it a little cheaper somewhere else. That price isn't too bad, considering it's about 1/3 of the total dealer cost.

You can also call Car Key Express to verify compatibility if you're not sure and want verification other than the web.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

#6 ·
I agree, the cost is far better than getting it from a Nissan dealer.

Where did you come across the 40% off deal, and did include everything in my previous post for $230.90? That would be a price that would appeal to me.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm finding a number if their kits available on Amazon. They have a 4 button fob version available for $109, and a 5 button for $149, but they only support up to 2014 Muranos. So there's hope the ones for the newer Muranos may become available for a really reasonable price, under $150.

Amazon.com: Car Keys Express Simple Key Smart 4 Button Remote for Nissan : Automotive

I also found a 2019-2020 Rogue 5 button fob with my FCC ID available for under $50 . It's odd the Rogue would have a different fob than other Nissan cars of the same model year...

Amazon.com: 5 Buttons Keyless Entry Remote Control Replacement Smart Key Proximity Fob Fits for Nissan Rogue 2019-2020 FCC ID: KR5TXN4 Continental: S180144507 : Automotive

#9 ·
I'm finding a number if their kits available on Amazon. They have a 4 button fob version available for $109, and a 5 button for $109, but they only support up to 2014 Muranos. So there's hope the ones for the newer Muranos may become available for a really reasonable price, under $150.

Amazon.com: Car Keys Express Simple Key Smart 4 Button Remote for Nissan : Automotive

I also found a 2019-2020 Rogue 5 button fob with my FCC ID available for under $50 . It's odd the Rogue would have a different fob than other Nissan cars of the same model year...

Amazon.com: 5 Buttons Keyless Entry Remote Control Replacement Smart Key Proximity Fob Fits for Nissan Rogue 2019-2020 FCC ID: KR5TXN4 Continental: S180144507 : Automotive
Using a CapitalOne card on Amazon, it will give another $32 off for the programmer. I believe the FCC ID# and frequency are the main two things to match.

I believe that the programmer locks itself to the car the first time it's run. The first time I ran it, I had to start the car as a first step. This wasn't required the next time I attempted to program the fobs. This would explain why there are different programmers for the different cars, even though the key's FCC ID# may be the same for another Nissan. This also prevents you from just buying cheap fobs and using it to program them to another car.

FYI, I went back and looked at the original fob specs on AliExpress and the only numbers that match my OEM fob is the frequency and FCC ID#. This kind of reinforces my thoughts that those are the only two numbers that matter. If they match, the number of buttons on both fobs will be the same.

Have a good day.

• Helpful
Reactions: MuranoSL2003
#13 ·
Long story short: Success with an aftermarket key and local locksmith, cost is not much more than the SimpleKey with programming kit.

I bought a "keyless2go" spare proximity keyfob from amazon (the amazon product description includes the FCC ID in my original key, KR5TXN7) for about $60. I was concerned when I got the package (the FCC ID inside the spare keyfob does not match the FCC ID in the Nissan original fob). But when I took it to my local locksmith, he said that he'd had pretty good success with most aftermarket spares. He charged me about $60 to both program the spare keyfob and cut the replacement emergency key. It took him maybe 15-30 minutes to do the whole thing. Everything worked just fine (although the programming looked awfully complicated--he had to open the door & close the door, and do a few other strange things).

I'm attaching a couple of photos here. In the full keyfob photo, the original Nissan fob is on the left. In the picture of the insides, the orignal Nissan fob is on the right.

Thanks to the thread originator (PaulDay) for making the suggestion to use aftermarket systems!
Wood Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Gadget Hardwood
Gadget Wood Font Electronic device Hardwood

#14 ·
I see you have the 4 button fob, much cheaper and easier then the 5 button, which also includes an extra security level for the remote starter function.

It's rare to find a locksmith that's willing to let you bring your own fob/key to the party. They make a good profit on selling the fobs. I brought a replacement fob where you swapped the guts out for my '13 Rav4 that just needed to have the key cut. The locksmith that I brought it to purposely screwed the cut on one side when he was cutting it. I ended up getting a used simple key cutter and replaced the key shank with a blank and cut it myself.

Thanks for the posting your solution.

Have a good day.

#15 ·
I'm fortunate that although I live in a fairly large city (population a bit > 500k, the greater metropolitan area population is a bit > 900k), there is still a small-town-ish feel. The local locksmith suggested that I buy an aftermarket fob (he did not carry the 4-button fob for the Murano), and they have a complete programming system that can program all manners of vehicles. Another local locksmith (who contracts with many of the local auto dealers) wanted to charge about $220 (providing both a Nissan fob, cutting, and programming). I did not dare ask a local dealer's service department :cool: for a quote.

I'm enjoying learning about the Murano here, and looking forward to driving my pre-owned AWD Murano for the next several years--I'll report back on my experiences in our local mountains (we have a second home at ~9300 ft elevation, dirt roads to get there with snow in the winter and mud in the shoulder seasons).

#16 · (Edited)
It sounds like you have a good system in place to keep track of your fobs and prevent them from getting lost. Having a spare fob stored in a safe is a good idea in case one gets lost or damaged.
As for the cost of a spare fob, it's not uncommon for dealers to charge a high price for replacement keys and fobs. However, there are other options available that can be more affordable. One option is to purchase a replacement fob online from a reputable seller. There are many third-party companies that sell replacement fobs for a variety of car makes and models, including the Murano. These fobs can be programmed by a locksmith or auto repair shop, which can be less expensive than going through the dealer.
Another option is to purchase a universal remote fob that can work with multiple car makes and models. These fobs can be programmed to work with your Murano, and they can be less expensive than purchasing a specific replacement fob.
It's important to make sure that any replacement fob you purchase is compatible with your car's make and model, and that it can be programmed properly. If you're not sure which option is best for you, you can consult with locksmith in Holloway or an auto repair shop for advice.

#17 ·
I purchased the Simple Key kit for my '18 Murano SV. For some reason, I keep getting a "BCM ERROR" after step #8 (pressing brake and starting the vehicle). I've followed the directions to a T and it yields the same result. BCM is fine and I have 1 working remote (which is why I bought the kit). Anyone happen to have any suggestions or ideas?

#18 ·
Call the customer support number. Call during normal business hours for the best results and to have a tech available to consult. You'll get an answer 24/7, but during off hours, they're reading off a script, not much help.

Have a good day.