Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Eric L. said:
Keep in mind that the AWD system is only active when you are accelerating.
The AWD is active when a front wheel loses traction and this could happen when you hit a patch of ice for example and not accelerating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well it does work you know

All UK and australia and nz are set up like this. there is further information if you look some of the reviews in the english papers and mags

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have noticed that when rolling around 5 mph it is very easy to induce wheel spin even in my '05 SE w/ awd & vdc. Usually I get much better acceleration when already slightly moving and scared my cousin greatly setting the MO into a slight drift on a dry road pulling onto a perpendicular road with full acceleration. The point everyone needs to realize is that tires create grip, and with the proper amount of inertia any car can be put into a slide or spin wheels. That being said I hate leaving from a stand still, but I can beat most in my range from a roll with the manual shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am driving a 2008 275bhp AWD SE model it is Gulf Specs in Dubai and i have been told by the workshop engineer that i can keep the lock up to 40m/ph however the split of 47/53 will only be maintained till 25 m/ph

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
camkay said:
I am driving a 2008 275bhp AWD SE model it is Gulf Specs in Dubai and i have been told by the workshop engineer that i can keep the lock up to 40m/ph however the split of 47/53 will only be maintained till 25 m/ph
camkay-

I think your workshop engineer may be misinformed. Check your Owners Manual. Unless they beefed up the AWD system (transfer case) on the 2008 Gulf-spec MOs the AWD system will disengage at a much lower speed (assuming no wheel slippage is detected). In the US the AWD system will change from LOCK mode to AUTO mode at 6 mph.

The 2008 Gulf-spec MO appears to be identical to the 2007 US-spec MO SE. The Nissan website for Dubai lists the MO at 266 hp. How do you account for the additional 9 horsepower? Have you modified the engine?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes u may be right i will check my manual anyhow.

I have changed the exhausts to performance ones, sound is approximately identical (no loudness) and i got 9 extra bhp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Even IF you could keep the AWD locked up to 40mph, it would be detrimental to the drivetrain to do so. Coupled with the fact that there are very few, if any, instances at these speeds where locking the AWD would provide a benefit over having the 'auto' AWD active, it does not make sense for the 'lock' setting to be active at these speeds.

Out of curiosity, do you do any off-road driving in your MO? Do you go in the sand (is it soft sand), and how does it handle this type of terrain?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Teonek

This is a very thorough description - thanks for the information. I have a question though, when the AWD in engaged- either automatically or via the Lock switch - is the drive delivered to all 4 wheels or is it 1 wheel per axle ? By that I mean, do all 4 wheels receive torque reagrdless of whether the other wheel on the same axle has lost traction ?

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
John Mac said:
Teonek

This is a very thorough description - thanks for the information. I have a question though, when the AWD in engaged- either automatically or via the Lock switch - is the drive delivered to all 4 wheels or is it 1 wheel per axle ? By that I mean, do all 4 wheels receive torque reagrdless of whether the other wheel on the same axle has lost traction ?

Thanks,

John
The MO does not have a mechanical limited slip on any axle, so there will be a bias towards the wheel with less traction on each axle, until the traction control and VDC kick in, which theoretically should brake the spinning wheel and redirect torque to the opposite wheel on that axle. But its not as good as a mechanical system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eric L

Thanks for the reply. I have an '07 SL MO without the VDC so I expect Iwill be more of the 1 wheel per axle than 2. Regardless I expect the second wheel drviing plus the greater road clearance over a sedan should get me through more snow (than a fwd Altima).

John

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
John Mac said:
Eric L

Thanks for the reply. I have an '07 SL MO without the VDC so I expect Iwill be more of the 1 wheel per axle than 2. Regardless I expect the second wheel drviing plus the greater road clearance over a sedan should get me through more snow (than a fwd Altima).

John
Well you'd have to be on an odd surface to get one wheel from each axle "stuck." One example could be if you drove two wheels on side side into a snow drift, with the other two still on the road. The ones deep into the drift will spin but the other two won't, although I think the front axle has traction control standard (uses the ABS) so you might get some grip from the other front wheel.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Eric L. said:

Well you'd have to be on an odd surface to get one wheel from each axle "stuck." One example could be if you drove two wheels on side side into a snow drift, with the other two still on the road. The ones deep into the drift will spin but the other two won't, although I think the front axle has traction control standard (uses the ABS) so you might get some grip from the other front wheel.
If you're referring to what Nissan bills as ABLS (Active Braking Limited Slip) I believe that is NOT standard. At least not on my 04, it might be now. When I bought my 04 you had to have the VDC package to get the ABLS.

My MO has zero in the way of "traction control" other than the fact that it's a dynamic AWD vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
special-k said:

If you're referring to what Nissan bills as ABLS (Active Braking Limited Slip) I believe that is NOT standard. At least not on my 04, it might be now. When I bought my 04 you had to have the VDC package to get the ABLS.

My MO has zero in the way of "traction control" other than the fact that it's a dynamic AWD vehicle.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new Mo owner. Does any one know how the AWD system works? I know about the lock setting which in 03 kicks out at 18 mph, but does the auto setting send power to the rear at any speed when it detects slipping, or only at lower speeds?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Brent said:
does the auto setting send power to the rear at any speed when it detects slipping, or only at lower speeds?
Brent-

Welcome to the forum. How do you like your MO so far?

To answer your question... The AWD system will send up to 50% of the available torque to the rear wheels at any speed.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2 Posts
njjoe
Thanks for the info & thanks for the welcome. The MO is actually my wife's & we love it. It is the only Vehicle we could agree on to buy. I'm a car guy so I like everything, we actually came across it by fluke. We were looking for a JEEP Liberty, found one and test drove it. Not a very nice or well built vehicle. We happened to see a MO, got to looking and fell in love. Now we own one.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts