Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a year on this site, and looking at the Murano, I finally got one...well, sort of.

I placed an order for one over the weekend. I had decided I wanted one for April, and I knew that dealers were not stocking the color/option combination I wanted, which meant I had to place an order. Well, the deadline for placing a factory order for March production (and April delivery) is today, so I did the deed.

Ordered an SL FWD with Touring, Dynamic Control, Navi, Wood, Mats, Cargo Protector, Sunroof Deflector and Splash Guards in White with Cafe Late.

Originally I wanted Sunset Red with the new Hazelnut interior, but I found out from an internal Nissan production bulletin that that color has been put on hold indefinitely (it can no longer be ordered), and the White/Beige was my second choice (actually original choice before I found out about Hazelnut).

MSRP is $37,385, and we agreed on a selling price of $33,978, which is exactly invoice. In addition, they are waiving their $599 dealer fee. This was not an easy thing, but once they realized that I was going to pick up the car the same day it came in (since it was a factory order), and that all of their holdback money would be profit, they agreed to my price.

However, the price I was quoted by area dealerships varied greatly. One was $1000 over invoice, another was invoice (but they insisted on their $599 dealer fee) and a third was $300 over invoice with no dealer fee. So, it definitely pays to shop around!

In my research, I found out a few things I thought I would share with everyone. I have been following the incentives on the Murano for over a year now. My job with Edmunds makes that pretty easy to do. I had assumed that the incentives this year would follow what Nissan had done in previous years (get better as the year went on). Now, while they still may yet do this, the environment seems to have changed things a bit, and here is why.

First off, even with no finance or cash incentives, and with a weaker lease program than last year, sales on the Murano are actually up. This is pretty remarkable for a vehicle in its 4th model year. I attribute this to the fact that buyers are shying away from truck-based SUV's and towards car-based ones like the Murano. Second, with the introduction of the lower priced S model last year, the price-point was significantly lowered, putting the Murano on more people's radar screens. In fact, if you look at the inventory of most Nissan dealers, S models make up the vast majority (at least around here).

Second, sales have begun in Europe and Australia. However, there is only one factory in Japan producing Muranos, so with worldwide demand (along with US demand) up, Murano's are not as plentiful in the US as they had been in the past. For example, my local dealer (a fairly large one) only gets 12 Muranos for March production...12! Some dealers get as few as 6.

So, with sales up, demand up, and supplies down, Nissan doesn't feel they need to slap a whole lot of incentives on this vehicle...and they are right. Which also means that supplies may not be as good as they had been in the past, which in turn might mean higher transaction prices, especially for SL and SE models, since these are much more rare now.

Of course, I hope this changes, especially by April!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My findings were similar. I was originally set to go with the 06 FX35 but could not wait for the late release to dealers. All the DFW Infiniti dealers who had allocations coming we NOT willing to discount from list. I spoke with 3 very large Nissan dealers in the DFW area and they had about (6) SL 2WD to choose from. All started at cost + $1000. When I committed to paying cash, I was able to get one down to list + a free window tint. I ended up with 06 SL 2WD with Touring, Sirius, Splash guards, Silver on black. Hopefully this will help keep the resale values up..........:)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869-

Good luck with your soon-to-be-new Murano.

I would think working at Edmund's gives you an unfair advantage over the dealers during negotiations. I like that. :D

Having factory ordered a car myself several years ago, I realized there is one major problem with ordering a car versus buying off the lot - the wait!

Good luck!

-njjoe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I am very excited to get it, I just wish I could have ordered the Hazelnut interior, it would have been beautiful!

I really wanted to thank everyone on here for the advice I was given. I wasn't always sure that the Murano was the best choice for me, but I feel really good about my decision. I think the only thing I wish the Murano had was a slightly larger cargo area, but that is something I can deal with down the road, if the need arises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shappy,

I have been following your posts as you shopped, since I was looking at a similar configuration. I actually began shopping a year ago when my brother got a Pathfinder, but was unable to find the vehicle I wanted (SL or SE AWD, Blue with Charcoal interior, Touring, VDC, with mats, wind deflector, & cargo area protector). So I gave up and decided to wait on the '06s, particularly since early reports said it would be coming with iPod integration (sigh... oh well).

So now I have been watching inventories since November, and a local dealer has one that is configured exactly as I want in Sunset Red (my new favorite of the available colors... blue would have been ok, too). It's an SE with all the options I was looking for, and it has been on the dealer's lot for a while now. I guess the higher end configurations are not as popular because of price, or if someone is willing to spend that much, they want Nav too (if I could justify the cost, I would want it!). Anyway, I happened to be in the area so I stopped by just to check out the color, and got sucked in by the salesman. I let them go ahead and work a quote for me knowing I was not buying that night. They quoted $35,382, which I wasn't that excited about since invoice is $34,187.

I have since found out that my friend's brother-in-law works for a Nissan supplier, so I can get a VPP number. I am a little foggy on how to actually calculate that price though. (I come up with $34,036... not sure if that is right.) Of course, that number is still plus whatever dealer fees they add on. I am guessing that this VPP price is going to be the best I can do, considering the lack of incentives.

So my problem?? I am in no hurry to even get a vehicle... I have a 2000 Sentra that runs fine and has just under 50,000 miles on it, but it is losing value quickly. It has been in 3 accidents (4-1/2 years ago, I rear-ended a Ford executive the day before my college graduation... a combination of fatigue and a town full of visitors, then a woman pulled into me in traffic and the whole right side of my car needed body work, and then this past Halloween I had to swerve to miss an SUV that pulled out right in front of me... the back end fish-tailed and slammed into the median destroying the whole rear suspension). But I simply want to get something a little bigger (I own a home now and would like to be able to visit the garden center without borrowing Daddy's truck!), and something with more safety features (accident #3 is why VDC is non-negotiable!).

So should I jump on the "bird in the hand" and go ahead and buy the one at the local dealer? Or do I wait it out for incentives that may not even come before the vehicle I want is no longer available and I can't do a factory order either? I have no idea if there would be anything that would make that much of a difference anyway.

I am just really indecisive because this is a huge purchase for me. If I was in need of a vehicle, it would be different, but I feel like this is simply a matter of want. I work for a non-profit, so I don't have a HUGE income, but I have no debt other than my mortgage. Still, whatever I can do to reduce the financial burden would help. Is it worth it to try and sell my vehicle outright as opposed to trading it in? They have only offered me $4000, but I worry about it's resale value because of its history, even though everything has been repaired and there was no damage to the frame. And should I be able to negotiate a better purchase price, or am I getting a good deal with the VPP price? I wish there was a financing deal or something!

Anyway, I have really rambled on here... I just don't have anybody else to agonize about this with! :( I have been lurking here for a while and reading lots of messages, but would love it if I could get some advice or assurance about my purchase decision!

Thanks! :2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can get VPP pricing, then it takes the whole negotiating part out of the equation. This means that you can either go with the one you saw at the dealer, or just wait until the timing is better for you and order exactly what you want.

There are actually special VPP incentives that apply to VPP purchases. However, Nissan has never offered VPP incentives on a current model year Murano (I have been keeping an eye on this too). Chances are, this trend will continue this model year too.

Here is how you calculate VPP pricing:

1) Dealer invoice (less D&H)
2) VPP discount (2.87% of line 1)
3) VPP net price (line 1 – line 2)
4) Dealer installed options (Sec+, accessories, etc.)
5) Dealer delivery fee (2.5% of line 3)
6) D&H (from invoice)
7) Cust. cash incentive (from current C&I)
8) VPP purchase price (3+4+5+6-7)

Dealer delivery payment is 2.5% of line 3

Your price works out to a bit under dealer invoice. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Shappy!

Just wanted to say thanks for the info... I saw the description on the VPP site for calculating the price, but your explanation was clearer. I think I was confused before about which options were discounted and which weren't. (Factory options vs. Dealer options)

I haven't bought the Mo yet, but hopefully soon. :4:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts