93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed:

Kappa 6.5" Components (tweeter in dash)-FRONT
Kappa 6.5" two-way-REAR
200W 4 channel MTX amp for 4 speakers
200W (bridged) sub amp
12" Kicker sub
EQ / pre-amp output (2 channel + sub out)
PAC Amp adapter
PAC RCA adapter (for iPod and ext. satellite receiver)

total time: probably 8 hours total + tweak time.

The only thing left is to find a better mounting solution for the sub. W/ the completely removable floor there are no good options for solid/safe mounting a box like this. And to hide the rest of the rats nest, of course!

The system sound w/ the stock headunit and aftermarket amps/speakers was OK but I put the EQ inline and can now teak to my hearts content and it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've noticed a couple folks have mounted amps upside-down under the spare tire cover.

A good idea -- yes. Convenient and hidden -- yes.

However -- keep in mind that most amplifiers were NOT designed to run upside-down. If you read the manuals it will likely explicitly say NOT to mount them like that for heat reasons -- instead of the heat dissipating out of the side of the amp that it was designed to, the heat flows back through the circuit board and other components on it's way out. This can reduce the performance and the lifespan of your amp.

Just a heads-up for everyone...

By the way -- I have it on authority from a JL Audio executive that my months of incessant badgering has prompted JL Audio to produce a StealthBox for the Murano. It's not shipping yet but expect it within 4 months. It will fit in the space to the left of the spare tire where the storage bin currently lives. It will house a single 10" sealed sub.

He said I should be proud that I was instrumental in getting this product developed... as I submitted 3 design ideas to JL Audio complete with photographs and measurements/dimensions. Sadly, I did not ask for any compensation for my intellectual property, so I got none! :) I asked about a free box for my efforts and he said he wished he could but did not have that kind of clout. I did, however, get a couple cool t-shirts. Better than nothing I guess! LOL

Keep on the lookout if you're in the market for a hidden aftermarket sub solution for the MO. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my 2 amps installed in the rear in front of the spare tire under the seats where the Bose amp used to be.

I didn't want to lose any cargo space, except for the sub which is small enough to unplug and move if I need the whole space. The PAC-OEM2 is also in the same space. So far heat hasn't been an issue and the JL Audio 10" W6v2 sub rocks!

I'll take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PAC oem 2

I guess I didn't do quite enough research, I would have like to have used the OEM 2 and wired it where you did under the seats. I used the 1 and had to run RCA's from the head unit back.

I also thought about tearing out that cross beam behind the seat and mounting the amps there but it seemed like so much more work. Maybe someday.

I'm exited about the JL subwoofer solution! that will help get rid of my 1.5 cubic box that just kinda floats right now.

Oh well, it's all wired and all good now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here are some pics of the amp installations. The installer made some boards to place them on. I like the small footprint of the JL sub, but believe me, it's certainly no slouch on kicking some pounding bass on demand. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I posted the sub pic separately. I couldn't figure out how to post two pics in one message.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that is a much cleaner amp install. Some day when I get some gumption I'll do something similar.

it looks good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I love the install which mounted the JL amps in front of the spare tire. Fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks guys. SAT install next. After reading everything on here, it shouldn't be too hard in an 05 that's pre-wired under the rear seat. I just have to find a place to mount the receiver since the amps have taken up the under the seat space.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
gordongekko said:
Thanks guys. SAT install next. After reading everything on here, it shouldn't be too hard in an 05 that's pre-wired under the rear seat. I just have to find a place to mount the receiver since the amps have taken up the under the seat space.
Actually the receiver goes behind the back seat, almost under the "seat back" part. From the pictures I could not tell if you have already used that space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to double check the space to which you're referring.

Peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts