Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been going with the stock Goodyear Eagle LS since I first bought MO, and on this, the fifth tire change, I decided to try a new brand. I went with the Firestone Destination LE2, which were much less expensive than the Goodyear tires. First impression was that they were super quiet and gave a very smooth ride.

During an intentional panic stop to test them when driving 55MPH, MO was a little spongey in the front end and veered to the right a bit. During handling tests around some S-turns and long corners, the tires didn't seem to bite into the pavement and grab the road as quickly as the Goodyears did. The Firestones tended to have a slight amount of "rolled edge" that needed a fraction of a second to contact the pavement before holding a good line in comparison to the Goodyears. All in all, it just took a small adjustment in my driving style to figure out how to best use these tires. Now, I feel these handle far better than the Goodyears, at least on dry pavement.

During my first slush/snow drive, the tires felt harder and plastic-like, and going through a small amount of slush heading into a corner, MO wanted to keep going straight for a split second, which worried me. However, after driving through some good snowstorms and on icy roads, I got used to the tires and have had no problem. The tread did seem to clog up with snow, but while driving it sent snow flying 50 feet behind me, so it's likely that as I'm slowing down and stopping, the snow is getting caked on. In a driving rain where the road are saturated, the tires did very well. I don't drive recklessly in rain or snow, but then I don't crawl along, either, unless conditions are really bad.

My thought is that the Goodyears are more pliable and stick to the road better in all temps, whereas the Firestones might be made of harder/different rubber that becomes less pliable in freezing temps. To be clear, when I said the Firestones felt harder and plastic-like in freezing temps, I was referring to the vibration in the steering wheel and feedback from the road on icy/hard-slush conditions. I think the Goodyears might have more give in cold temps and can absorb more of the random bumps and pieces of ice they come in contact with, and not transfer those subtle impacts to my hands. It could easily have been that I was simply paying too much attention to the Firestones, since I've always used Goodyears and was slightly nervous about how these new tires would do in the snow, since I never use snow tires.

Overall, I really like these Firestones, and I've put about 27,000 miles on them since Dec 2019. I rotate them every 7500-8000 miles by bringing the fronts straight back to the rear, and bringing the rear forward and crossing them. The tread is wearing very nice and even and looks meaty after three rotations, and the ride is still smooth and quiet, with no wobble or shimmy in the steering wheel. I would recommend these tires , even if the were the same price as the Goodyears. So far, these aren't producing the same amount of road noise that the Goodyears did. Also, I'm not getting any pulsating in the steering wheel with the Firestones, and usually I'd already have it starting with the previous tires.

EDIT: The one thing I do notice with these tires is, they tend to pick up small pebbles and love to keep them around the outer edge... They don't make any noise though. Here, again, I think the softer Goodyears might allow more tread flexing/opening to allow pebbles to fall out of the grooves easier. Then, again, I actually do recall having to take a key and clean out the Goodyears sometimes, and the pebbles made a lot of clicking while driving. I actually think the Firestones are wearing better and delivering a smoother, gentler ride than the Goodyears. I also think the Firestones have a nicer look from all perspectives.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts