Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1111 miles, and my first door "ding"!!!!! Ok...typical situation, some little kid, opens his door, in WalMart, into my MO, puts a "ding" in the right rear door, and puts a tiny surface "chip" in the paint. It's KILLING ME! (damn kids anyway (I have 3)) So, will a ding like this come out with a dent "popping" service? Where can I get Sunlit Copper touch-up paint? Any "tips" on how to fill in the chip, so it doesn't look like I just put a blob of paint over a chip?

I feel violated!

Regards,

Big

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Paintless dent fixers can get it out nicely. My dealer has one in-house. The dealer had a clown which dented my roof with a tool while he was rotating my tires--I was livid. The paintless d00d fixed the dent by pulling one headliner light fixture and putting the tools in there. I did watch him repair a door ding in an unsold 350Z, very tedious and takes talent, but he got it done very nicely. Silver is the hardest to fix that way without repainting. If I pointed out the area, you would notice, if I didn't, you wouldn't.

·
Registered
278 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
Where can I get Sunlit Copper touch-up paint? Any "tips" on how to fill in the chip, so it doesn't look like I just put a blob of paint over a chip?
Courtesy Parts has touchup paint bottles and pens. I bought both last year and just recently used the pen for the first time. It puts on a very thin coat (it's just like a felt-tip marker) to let you build layers instead of the big blob. Just don't expect a perfect match on the color (seems a bit darker). See the Touchup Pen thread for others thoughts. Also run a search for "touchup paint", there are several posts on the subject.

Considering I always used to apply touchup with a toothpick, I think the pen works pretty well.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Re: First ding/chip in paint...ARRRGGGHHH!

One thing I like about Black, I can touch it up with a Sharpie! I did get some touch up paint in a teenie bottle, it works well. I kinda wish I had chosen the pen, just for the clearcoat end.

I guess my parking 200 yards from the nearest door has paid off, I'm still ding free after all this time.

I too have heard good things about those ding removal guys.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had a WalMart shopping cart run into my previous Nissan. At first, I thought it happened at an attended parking garage the next day. Then I went back to WalMart and the shopping cart lined up perfectly with the damage. I notified WalMart, and they made me get estimates, send letters and make several phone calls, only to tell me later that they're not responsible for such things (which I still believe is untrue).

No matter how hard you try to keep your baby safe, those parking lots can be killers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nissan needs to develop Star Trek style force fields so that we can safely park at grocery stores, Wal-Mart's, etc. That's an option I would be willing to pay for.

Why would you think Wal-Mart is responsible for your ding? Was an employee involved? That would be pretty lame if an employee ran a cart into your Mo and they didn't take responsibility for it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
MrDisco said:
Why would you think Wal-Mart is responsible for your ding? Was an employee involved? /B]
I think Big Daddy's saying a little kid opened a door into his, so I doubt Wal-Mart would be responsible for that.

In my case, I parked towards the back of the lot, away from any cars. There were high winds that day and carts were not being collected. When I drove out, I even had to navigate around a cart which had made its way into the main exit drive, apparently by the high winds. I didn't realize that I had been hit by a cart myself earlier when parked there, as the dent and scratches were on the right rear passenger side. But there was no doubt it was caused by one of their shopping carts, as the placement of the damage matched exactly the type of cart they used.

It's my understanding that merchants are responsible for such damage which happens in their lots, regardless of the signs they post to the contrary. I believe I saw a news story along the same line. I'll try to find a law in that regard if I can.

The Wal-Mart was close to my home, and I shopped there frequently. But after this, my girlfriend and I decided to take our business elsewhere for several months thereafter. Aside from their not paying for the damage, I felt that decision was warranted due to the run-around alone they gave me requesting pictures, three estimates, a letter from the store manager, repeated follow-up calls, etc., only to be told they do not cover such incidents to begin with. They won because they wore me out. But I made sure they lost as much in business as I did in repair costs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Body Side Moldings

Big Daddy, check out this thread and pictures of my Sunlit Copper MO on page #4. I now have 92,000 km and no further door dings.

Body Side Moldings Thread :2:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks...lots of good ideas. On the "touch-up-paint", is the "bottle" better, or the "pen"? I've got concerns with the pen, because I'm not sure how the metal flakes can get out of the pen. I guess I'll order the pen, and then the bottle, if the pen doesn't put out the metal flake. Or...you can reply tonight, and help me make my decision. The pen does also have clear coat as well, which would make the ding filler complete.

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's a sample of the paint pen. I did about a half-inch square on waxpaper. I think it shows the metallic well enough to decide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zofsuvs said:
I think Big Daddy's saying a little kid opened a door into his, so I doubt Wal-Mart would be responsible for that.

In my case, I parked towards the back of the lot, away from any cars. There were high winds that day and carts were not being collected. When I drove out, I even had to navigate around a cart which had made its way into the main exit drive, apparently by the high winds. I didn't realize that I had been hit by a cart myself earlier when parked there, as the dent and scratches were on the right rear passenger side. But there was no doubt it was caused by one of their shopping carts, as the placement of the damage matched exactly the type of cart they used.

It's my understanding that merchants are responsible for such damage which happens in their lots, regardless of the signs they post to the contrary. I believe I saw a news story along the same line. I'll try to find a law in that regard if I can.

The Wal-Mart was close to my home, and I shopped there frequently. But after this, my girlfriend and I decided to take our business elsewhere for several months thereafter. Aside from their not paying for the damage, I felt that decision was warranted due to the run-around alone they gave me requesting pictures, three estimates, a letter from the store manager, repeated follow-up calls, etc., only to be told they do not cover such incidents to begin with. They won because they wore me out. But I made sure they lost as much in business as I did in repair costs.

Not sure how you can prove Walmart is responsible for the cart damage. I suppose if their "cart corral" broke and dozens of shopping carts were allowed to roll randomly across the lot, they would be responsible. But whats to prevent a lazy customer from not "parking" the cart in the stall and then it rolls into your car?

I've had my share of cart run ins as well, but I would not expect the store to be responsible for irresponsible customers. If anything, all the Walmarts I've visited always has some kid gathering carts and pushing them into the store. Thats a lot more attention than a store like Target or Costco gives to their parking lots.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Eric L. said:
Not sure how you can prove Walmart is responsible for the cart damage. I suppose if their "cart corral" broke and dozens of shopping carts were allowed to roll randomly across the lot, they would be responsible. But whats to prevent a lazy customer from not "parking" the cart in the stall and then it rolls into your car?

I've had my share of cart run ins as well, but I would not expect the store to be responsible for irresponsible customers. If anything, all the Walmarts I've visited always has some kid gathering carts and pushing them into the store. Thats a lot more attention than a store like Target or Costco gives to their parking lots.
Don't want this thread to go astray, as I've been responsible for that before! But to answer, there were many carts scattered around the lot, apparently not being corralled. Add to this the high winds that day and one might expect the store to be more diligent. As I mentioned, one even rolled way into the exit drive due to the wind.

It's my understanding that these types of businesses can post as many signs as they want not claiming responsibility for carts (those signs came afterwards in my case), but since it is their lot and their carts, they have to take reasonable care with them. It was my contention they did not. The fact that they made me jump through hoops getting quotes, getting a letter from the store manager, making follow up calls to their calls, etc., made me think I did have a case or they would have used the "we're not responsible for carts" argument right from the start. At the time I was being overly nice about the whole thing (yes, really!!) and I think they figured there wasn't enough hard evidence of negligence on their part and that I was someone who would not actually sue. In that case they were right. And I did not see the news report about parking lots until much later.

Okay, time for a lawyer to weigh in. Any precedents in this regard?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts