Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Murano my salesperson suggested that, even though the service manual states that the first oil change is supposed to occur at about 3,750 miles, I should change the oil at 1,000 miles the first time. He said that because of the conditions in the manufacturing plant some metal shavings and other dirt could be circulating in the first batch of oil and that I should get it out of there as soon as possible. I have a little over 1,200 miles on it now and I'm wondering if I should take his advise. I've only had the car for about a month and I don't want to take it in for service yet but if what he said is true I'm thinking maybe I should. Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
YES,,,My dealer said the same and I took mine in around 1200 for the first change...I would do it...

·
5,268 Posts
It was definitely true some years ago...........since then however, the manufacturing practices, especially at leading manufacturers have changed.........

I do not think there is a need for oil change before the suggested 3750 miles.

But then again this is only my opinion......

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
The engine oil tey put in the car is special brake-in oil...

the idea is to let the engine break in using this special oil.
Ideally around 3,500 to 5,000 miles.
If you change your oil early, it will negate the whole purpose.

Also, these days factory, are very clean adn fancy and dandy in doing engine block assembly, oil fillups etc...It is a clean process. I worked in subaru plant before. This is fully robotic/automated

--

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
The engine oil they put in car these days is special break-in oil...

the idea is to let the engine break in using this special oil.
Ideally around first 3,500 to 5,000 miles.

If you change your oil early, it will negate the whole purpose.

Also, these days, auto factories are very clean and fancy and dandy in doing engine block assembly, initial break in oil fillups etc...It is a clean process. I interned in subaru plant before. The process is fully robotic/automated

--

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think the rumors of special break in oils is not true, else manufacturers would specifically tell you that you must not change the oil before the standard interval. Now the owners manual does state that you do not need to change the oil before the specified interval, but that does not equate to must not change.

I personally did not change my oil until 3000 miles.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
In this vehicle it is not break-in oil. Some manufacturers do use it though. I would say it is not necessary to change before the normal interval.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know for sure HONDA uses special break in oil, but I don't know if they specify this fact in owners manual. Not sure about Nissan though.

The theory of manufacting debry, residue and initial metal particles shed during break-in is old wives tale. However, if you feel otherwise a change will not hurt, other than envrironment with 5 qt of good oil.

I did not change my oil any earlier. Though next oil change will have systhetic mobil going in. 0W30 or 5w30.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have no dog in this fight.

But for those who believe that some manufacturers use a "special" break in oil, I would be interested in the properties of this "special oil".

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what "special oil" is?

Homer

·
Registered
834 Posts
Marvel mystery oil?

Just kidding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts