Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered, but I can't find it.

What is recommended in terms of getting the first oil change?

My 2004 MO, purchased 11/30/04, has 3,500 miles . . . . 1800 of which are highway miles.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
The first oil change time is debateable...which we have done here a few times.
But, Nissan says right where you are at--3500.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there any reason why I should have this done at a Nissan dealership? After all, they will probably just do an oil and filter change and nothing else.

Any problem with taking it to a Jiffy Lube type place . . . and what is the recommended oil that should be put in?

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
weeeeeeel....I sure would rather have a Nissan filter on there than a Jiffy one...
Usually they give you your first oil change free, have you asked?
I bring my own filter to the speedy place for my wife's sentra cause I can't reach the filter, and I don't want theirs...there is a thread on filters here....
You want to run dino oil for up to 10k before changing over to synthetic, it makes sure the rings are seated. I think it is 5w30 isn't it guys?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
mgthe3 said:
weeeeeeel....I sure would rather have a Nissan filter on there than a Jiffy one...
You want to run dino oil for up to 10k before changing over to synthetic, it makes sure the rings are seated. I think it is 5w30 isn't it guys?
I agree about the Jiffy filters. 5W30 is the type.

I've always wondered about the logic of running "real" oil for X miles before switching to synthetic.

If synthetic is better, then isn't it always better?

I have to think some engines have never seen anything but synthetic, what about them? Do their rings get seated?

Not trying to be smart here, I just never could figure out the need to wait.:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i'll be taking it to Nissan. Since I moved to another state, I don't think they'll offer a free oil change at a different dealership. Plus I just checked the price they charge, not bad at all at $29.95 (Pinnacle Nissan in Scottsdale, AZ)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just did my first oilchange - picked up 11/7/04 with 3200 miles... I was waiting for 3500 miles, but then I realized I was at my 4 months mark... $29.99 + tax... done in like 20 min @ Nissan.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Nissan dealerships in my area are now open on Saturdays for oil changes, tire rotations and balances, etc with appointments, which has made it a lot easier for me to use them.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
MVT

I am sure I read somewhere that caterpillar puts their diesels on stands and runs them for 72 hours at 3600 rpm before putting them in tractors. I remember seeing a picture of their exhaust manifolds orange hot. I don't think I have heard of a car company doing that.
Most racers have their engines line bored and deck bored to make them square so break in doesn't take so long and so they live longer under crazy rpms.
Line boring is where you torque a 2"plate to the top of the block and torque the main bearing caps as well. This actually twists the block 40 ways from hell--just like it will when you torque down the heads and main crank bearings when putting an engine together. Then they bore the main bearing caps and seats straight.
Deck boring makes the cylinders perfectly square to the crank centerline.
I doubt any car company does this.....unless you are buying a super car for 500k.
The reasoning behind not using synthetic oils at breakin time is because of the crosshatch the cylinders have-- spiral micro grooves running up and down the cylinders. These help make the rings shape the not square, not perfectly round cylinder. The rings and the cylinder wear to fit, when brand new, the cylinder walls have tall peaks between the grooves, when broken in they look like they are flat topped with low narrow valleys. At fit, the rings glide on film strength of oil on those flat tops.
If you run synthetic, the wear time is prolonged...and could actually cause the rings and cylinders to never fit...at least not like they would if broken in on dino oil. The rings would be having a hell of a time finding oil film strength with the valleys deep and narrow between the tiny flat peaks. Blow by would be much more, compression would be down and your gas mileage would suffer.
Wear down the peaks with dino, baby the flats with synthetic.

:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
First oil change at 3750 or 3 months

I bought my Murano in December. Have just over 3000 miles so I looked up in the Maintenance Manual the other night to verify when the first oil change should be done. The manual states at 3750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. Like many, my dealer is giving me the first oil change for free.

·
Registered
95 Posts
29.95 for an oil change!!! I thought 21.95 was high. I can remember paying 14.95 for my other cars, of course that was a while back. Here in Georgia, they do about 14 other things when they change the oil like checking all the fluids, belts and battery and some more things I can't remember. Nissan here charges 21.95 and I got a coupon book with the same price!! What a deal!!! Why bother trying to remember to use the coupons???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts