Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my MO in for the first problem. The steering wheel being off to one side and the popping noise when I turn. I printed out the TSB for it and gave it to the service guy. The only issue is that my MO doesn't fall into the date or VIN range. But the problem is identical. So we will see what happens.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Does anybody have the TSB? I am having the same issues with my MO and am taking it in next week. I would like to have the TSB to give them...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ST03-004 NTB03-065 June 25, 2003

2003 MURANO; STEERING NOISE AND/OR STEEERING WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHANGES

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003 Murano (Z50)

APPLIED VIN(S): Vehicles built up to: JN8AZ08 T *3W 118145
Vehicles built up to: JN8AZ08 W *3W 231037

APPLIED DATE: Vehicles built up to: 14-May-2003

IF YOU CONFIRM:

An Applied vehicle has
• Steering noises (perhaps described as a popping sound)
and / or
• Steering wheel alignment changes.

ACTION:
Lift vehicle and confirm torque on steering rack mounting bolts and nut is within specification. Refer to the Service Procedure section of this bulletin.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wonder how many vehicles are actually affected by this? Is it something that just happens as time goes on, or are these the problems from the factory?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
In this Particular case, there is a problem at the factory.

The bolts in the Steering rack are not being tightened to spec.
This causes the rack to shift under steering pressure (Low speed (High friction tires/ground), hard turn) from the pinion.
When it shifts, it moves the steering wheel.
So, one sympton is that the wheel is centered. And then POP, it is not.

The Vin range has already been proven to be bogus.
My vehicle had/has this problem with a build date of 6-03 and a VIN outside the range.
If you are not aware what happened to me, the dufus pulled the TSB (At least he listed it on the Work sheet) and tightened the Rack.
The problem was, he tightened it while the steering wheel was off center.
I think the TSB requires them to check the front end aligmant. The steering wheel being centered is part of the front end alignment.
That obviously didn't happen.
Now the rack will have to be loosened and the TSB performed again.

Since there IS a TSB we know that there are a lot of vehicles potentially affected.

And there have been several here on the board.

Homer

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thats interesting. I wonder where Nissan gets this VIN range from? I'd like to see their internal data....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mines going in for the third time since I purchased it 2 months ago.
I was told by the dealer that "They had a Calibration Problem with their Machine, but it's fixed now"
Well see.
Smitty
BTW the steering wheel was off center after the second one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All:

I'm having the same problem with my 2004 SL AWD. I took it back to the dealer today for the alignment fix and to fix numerous other problems. I talk to the assistant service manager today and she tells me that the TSB is for 2003 Muranos. She also tells me that they did a check on the alignment and that it was within spec.

The car, I'm sure, will still pull to the left when the steering wheel is centered. I just faxed her another copy of the TSB for 03 and 04 models. This time I'll have to tell her exactly how to fix the problem.

Two of the four issues that I have with the car have been addressed. When TSBs have been issued and they still are not followed, that's a problem. When consumers have to tell the dealerships how to fix the car that's a problem. I'm relatively young and will buy more vehicles in my lifetime. Nissan, Infiniti and all of their "helpfu"l dealerships have lost a customer for life.

I like my Murano. Just please fix the problems. Just because you can' duplicate the problem does not mean that it does not happen.:3:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally got my pulling problem fixed.
I (not the dealer) figured it out. It was only pulling to the left when you stepped on the gas. If you were coasting down the road, it drove straight as an arrow (Which is why the kept saying that it was fixed after I would pick it up)
They (After the 3rd alighnment) said it was torque steer and that they could not do anything about it.
I wasn't happy so on my way out of the dealership, I saw a new one sitting on the lot. I went back in and made them let me drive it.
That one also drove straight while coasting but when you stepped on the gas, it pulled to the RIGHT!
I went back in and said to the service manager "Why does mine pull to the left, and that one pull to the right"
He had no response.
I then went home and Swithced my front tires and it then pulled to the Right.
The next step was to put the back tires on the front and see if it pulled. Guess what, FIXED!
Here is the kicker,
This was from the day I bought the SUV and they said I needed to go through a local Goodyear dealer to get a new tire (or tires).
I freaked! I had the General Manager on the phone and said I would agree If this happened after I drove the vehicle for a while, but not from when I purchased it. He then agreed that if they could recreate the problem, they would replace the tires.
Well, finally got my 2 new tires and all is well.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I've heard this problem a few times. I wonder if the high delivery pressures are damaging some tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts