Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Sirius sat from Grubbs @ Dec 20. It had been working great until today. This morning worked fine but then I switched to a cd, but when I switched back to sat the display read "NO SAT". I turned the head unit off and on a few times but it didn't help. I also tried turning the car off.

I use my MO for work and the rear cargo area is full of computers and tools. So full that I was dreading un-loading everythng to get to the sat reciever. So-

I folded the rear seat down and lifted the hinged floor panel and could just barely reach the receiver. I discovered that the yellow antenna wire was pulled slightly out from its connector. I removed the white locking clip from the connector and pushed the wire back into the connector and reconnected the antenna. I then tried it but it still did not work. It then dawned on me when I first touched the sat receiver it was warm even though the car had been off for some time.

This indicates that the receiver is powered all the time and to reboot it requires that the white head unit cable must be unplugged to effect a reboot.

After this I am very happy to report that the unit is now working. It seemed that the crimp on the yellow connector was not as tight as the green connector. This was tough to spot ; the heat shrink deformation was extending further back as compared to the green connector. I may try to tighten it or replace the connector if this happens again. I do not know if those connectors are available without having to purchase a new antenna - they have got to be but where?

Anyway Hope this could help anyone if thier display reads NO SAT!!!: -MARCO

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the very valuable info MARCO. :29: I had to remove the connecters on the end when I fished the wires through the rubber wire protecter at the top of the hatch when doing the hidden antenna install. The white locking pin does seem fairly sturdy and does lock well into place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I too put the antenna in the 3rd brake light hatch and removed the connectors. The white locking pin does hold the internal metal barrel well. The problem was the wire itself is crimped to the barrel. I may have stressed it during install. The center pin conductor pulled back out of the barrell.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, the yellow one's important... It's the SAT antenna, the Green one's the terrestrial. Or is it the other way, I forget.

Anyway, it's easy for Snow to find out, as he's in Canada and there's no terrestrial signal to pick up! Whichever one makes it go away is the sat antenna.

Glad you figured out how to reboot it, I would have suggested that.

To be fair, an automobile is a crappy place for electronics to live, so I'm a little tolerant of things such as this. If it repeats more than twice a year, I'd go get it replaced.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmmm, I did'nt even know there were terrestrial signals for the sat system. Learn something new every day. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Is this expected?

Dennis Fink said:
Nissan says it can not or should not be installed.
I'm amazed that people at Nissan continue to lie about the '03 satellite radio issue. Yes, it can be done. I'm listening to my XM satellite radio, with parts purchased from Grubbs and installed by friends (rather than an installation shop), and enjoying every minute of it. I, too, had outrageous cost estimates from the stereo shops in my city. Fortunately, I came across a terrific fellow who agreed to install my XM just as he had installed his XM in his own Murano. There was no relay installed with my radio, and I haven't had any trouble with it.

Since you're lucky enough to live in the Dallas area, go to Grubbs, get the parts from them, and have them install it for you. You'll never regret it!

By the way, here are some pics of the install of my XM radio:

Murano Satellite Install

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I have the 04 MO it came pre-wired for sat from the factory ( intf cable to the head unit) and, it is mentioned in Nissan's sales literature. The parts I purchased from Grubbs are official OEM Nissan. They came without a relay and according to the Nissan install ( For the G35 ) instructions no relay is mentioned. I found these intructions on another web site after I followed the excellent instructions on this web site and had already installed the sat receiver. The G35 install location is nearly identical to the MO. Outside of the minor problem I had the unit works great.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank this forum, JAAK, and the three guys from Florida for thier help.

I installed mine with some help from my son for the tight access parts as I have a bad back. It took @ 3 hours in a dark 25degF garage the week before xmas. Yes, I treated myself! Grubbs had a special holiday price @ $270.

The 04 is easier because you do not need to run the intf cable to the head unit. This will add a good deal of time. But with the detailed photos it is doable by most mechanically inclined people and a good many people with limited mobile electronics experience.

·
4,664 Posts
Hey Marco, you're very welcome....

Anyone who wasn't around, if you dig back in the posts here, and on FreshAlloy, you'll see a lot of really frustrated, annoyed Murano owners who were writing letters and calling to complain about this.

Instead of admitting it worked and fixing the problem, they went to the trouble of printing a sticker...

Lest we forget...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Before the sticker was even created, I proved in June 2003 it did work, by purchasing the Satellite receiver for an Infiniti FX and connecting it with a non Nissan sourced harness. There was so much frustration, I laughed when one person even suggested I created the following image, but it was confirmed off the XM schedule, that this was indeed real.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I forgot to mention after I "rebooted" the receiver. It took longer to "aquire" (head unit displays "AQUIRING")the satelite, and it took a few minutes to start displaying the channel names. This could indicate some RAM is used to store this data and must be restored after a power loss.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, for sure it does that. Give it enough time to load all the channel tables when you reboot it, to lesson the chance of the data being a little scrambled. I've found that doing a reboot without a long enough time to load this info, might cause an extended "LOADING" message the next time around. If it happens, give it a few minutes and if it doesn't come out of that, then turn off the ignition and turn it on again. It should clear itself.

You'll also lose all your presets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts