Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my own thoughts, but figured I'd go ahead and see if anyone has opinions...

Basically am in a situation where I'm gonna be doing a long trip with the Murano...

By the time I take the trip I'll be probably 500-700 miles short of the first service interval of 3750 (say about 3200)... but if I could curb my driving a bit before the trip and then would be about 500-700 miles over the first interval (say about 4300) when I return...

Since I won't be able to do the servicing during the trip, should I do it before I leave, or wait until I get back?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it was any other service other than the first one, I would say it is ok to wait. But I wouldn't chance a trip without your MO having its 1st checkup.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you haven't changed your oil yet from the original fill, I would definitely do it before. Nissans aren't shipped with any kind of special break in oil and I personally always do the following:

1,000 miles, then again at 3,000, then again at 6,000, then go to full synthetic at 10,000 miles.

I use Mobile one 5w30 and then change at every 5,000 miles after 10k. That way I'm on the 15-30-45-60k maintenance schedule that Nissan suggests.

If you look at your owner's manual, maintenance schedule, you'll see that there is very little schedule maintenance on these vehicles, assuming you follow the "normal" schedule.

Basically rotate the tires and change the oil until 60k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First Oil Change

I have ownwed many road vehicles both two and four wheeled, a Classic aeroplane and a couple of boats. If I have learned one thing about engines it is change the oil as frequently as you can. I picked up a new Mo after my last vehicle was destroyed in an accident last July. As soon as I hit 2000 kms. (That's klicks to you guys down south) I had the dealer change the oil. The first 1000 or so miles on an engine are very rough. It tends to run hot and leach chemicals into the oil which combined breaks down its viscosity and lets the acids attack the inside of the engine. There also is quite a bit of condensation inside the engine from sitting about since manufacture and only being run for short period of time to move it on and off transport and around the lot. All this is real tough.

Oil changes are the cheapest insurance around, even if you don't do it yourself, a few dollars at the pit stop will give you lots of engine life.

Change the oil at half of the suggested time, it will pay off.

ps. My friends Civic had over 350,000 kms on it before he traded it for a new one. He changed the oil once a month. He put in the cheapest oil he could find. The inside of that engine was spotless, the dipstick was never dirty with black oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts