Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been OOT for a week. When I started the car this afternoon - unbelievable valve clatter! About 3000 miles on synthetic oil.
Went away after a little bit, didn't come back.
Very scary since the basic warranty expired last month.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well kinda hard to believe with synthetic but anythings possible I guess. I know I started the Z after a couple months and I heard this clatter and saw something go bouncing off the driveway. Shut it off popped the hood and low and behold a tree rat had a stash of acorns he was munching on top of the engine. Now how he got all those acorns up there and actually fit between the top of the engine and hood and had enough room to munch on them is beyond me. But anyhow, never heard valve noise after a week with or without synthetic.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What kind of syn oil?
Brand and weight?

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel-

On cars with hydraulic lifters it is not uncommon to hear valve clatter after a prolonged shutdown period. However, the MO has solid lifters so that is not the case here.

Could it possibly have been something other than the valves?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MO doesn't have hydraulic lifters??? Hard to believe.

Oil is Amsoil 0W30 (recommended by them for any engine where 5W30 is specified).

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel said:
MO doesn't have hydraulic lifters??? Hard to believe.

Oil is Amsoil 0W30 (recommended by them for any engine where 5W30 is specified).
Ekaxel-

Seeing is believing....

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah I was also surprised the MO has solid lifters. Ooooh well. The lifter clatter is *very* common on all VQ engines. I read about it all the time on the 350Z forums, and my Maxima would clatter on startup on Mobil One 5w30 if I did not drive it for a few days as well.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking about it.
The engine does have V V T though. I wonder what that mechanism looks like.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would change the oil filter.

Homer

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil filter is a 35000 mile filter with only 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel-

Is this the first time the car sat unused for a week? Maybe, like Eric L. said, the valve clatter is common with VQ engines that sit for an extended period.

Out of curiosity, why did you post this under AWD & VDC?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Oil filter is a 35000 mile filter with only 3000 miles on it."

Oh. Ok.

Maybe the next one, the anti drain valve will work........

Homer

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
hfelknor said:
"Oil filter is a 35000 mile filter with only 3000 miles on it."

Oh. Ok.

Maybe the next one, the anti drain valve will work........

Homer
thats what my assumption is. try the K&N's filter. it has the anti-drain valve which locks in the oil the moment it stops flowing. even you can try amsoil filter as well. i couldnt find it here in Saskatchewan but when i was in Ontario there was an Amsoil dealer who had the proper oil filter for MO's.

so, you can try their filter as well. and i believe with Amsoil filter + oil, you get their 12,000 miles or 1 yr warranty as well, i.e. if anything goes wrong because of their product, they will cover it for you.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this is a "drain valve" issue, how come it never happens/ happened when I change the oil and filter and start the engine with a dry filter???

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
If this is a "drain valve" issue, how come it never happens/ happened when I change the oil and filter and start the engine with a dry filter???
You are likely correct.

My guess is that its not a drain valve, but that oil just slowly seeps away from the top of the engine after an extended period of not driving the car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel said:
Do you usually change the oil and filter after the car has been sitting for a week? Of course not. If an oil change is done properly, the engine was recently run and a decent film of oil is on all the parts. So when you start the engine the parts are protected during the few seconds it takes to fill the oil lines.

It is possible the problem may be caused by the "anti-drain valve", or maybe the noise is, in fact, typical of the VQ after a prolonged shutdown.

-njjoe

·
Registered
11 Posts
ekaxel said:
I would not recommend to use Amsoil. The only oil they have certified by API is XL (non-synthetic). None of their synthetic oils has ever been certified by API.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo2.asp?LicenseNo=0995

Nissan's warranty may be void (if you still have any).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
API - American Petroleum Institute. ALL of Amsoil's oils EXCEED the API specs for the clsaaification in which they fall. ILSAC is a much more applicable specification.
No intent to start a pissing contest here.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ehScoprio-

AMSOIL is well known throughout the automotive community for their quality products. It is highly doubtful that Nissan would void a warranty due to AMSOIL products being used on one of their vehicles.

-njjoe

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... Never heard this one before!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts