Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....
I just realized that when brake is applied in my MO, the top brake light (3rd brake light) flashes on/off 4 times then steady on. Where the other two brake lights are always steady on.

I guess I could live with it, but its alittle annoying when I see someone else with a flashing brake light, so I would like to make it steady on if possible... Has anyone else noticed this on their MO? and anyone knows what to mod to get rid of this?

By the way, I have yet to notice this on other MO's...... then another question: could this be an indication of problems? (I hope I ain't got the only MO ldoing this out there...)

My MO is an 04 SE base.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's a nice safety item, GRIPPER and I added this to ours.You can't see your own so it shouldn't bother you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks MOpar... you are right, it doesn't really bug me since I can't see it.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has a MO like this from the dealer.... my guess then would be that the dealer added this for some weird reason.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
yyyyyy-

I find it very hard to believe that the dealer installed anything that clever for free. But then again, my dealer (PineBelt Nissan - Toms River, NJ) surprised me by installing free wheel locks.

Flashing third brake lights can be very beneficial during inclement weather. I wouldn't get rid of it.

Was the modification listed on your invoice/sticker? If not, if there is a problem who fixes it?

-njjoe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njjoe:

your question is another one of my concerns. I just want this to be as trouble free in the future as possible. There was nothing noted on the sticker or invoice about the brake lights AND I also got wheel lock nuts too... :confused:

got it in early sept/05, its an 04 with 80 miles (I could live with this since the dealer's inventory lot is about 3 miles each way to the dealer). got a great deal on it with extended warranty.

honestly, everything is great (other than the dealer sending the wrong warranty info to Nissan USA then I could a warranty booklet with the wrong info. still trying to fix that) so far so good.... I guess I will just pray that nothing goes wrong with the brake light.

could MOpar or Gripper share where the mod was done on their car (fuse/controller under the hood or dash or around light assembly)? just so that I would know how to troubleshoot myself if needed.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
yyyyyy-

I would contact the dealer and ask them for particulars on the light. If they acknowledge installing it then I would document the conversation (in case warranty work is ever required) and ask for any information they may have on it (i.e brand, make, literature, etc.).

If they claim ignorance I would take them out to the car and show them the light. That may help them remember.

I would just want to be sure it is covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Good luck with your MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
281 Posts
We added the unit behind the trap door on the inside of the rear hatch.

·
5,244 Posts
MOpar said:
We added the unit behind the trap door on the inside of the rear hatch.

MOpar,
what was the unit? Where did you get it from?

Thanks

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I found them on the internet

They were order thru a motorcycle shop here in Scottsdale. Hopefully MoPar still knows the name or has the box. Be sure to get the one for LEDs. If Curtis who I sold the Mod Mo get on the forum he has the paperwork for the unit.

Anyway a number of motor cycle units are available that will do the job. Mine flashes 3 times quickly and then stays on steady.

As you can read from below it's called the "Back Off!"

Grip

·
4,994 Posts
GONZO That is it!

I have mine in mode two, I guess I have more than 3 flashes before it goes steady.

Grip

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Hey Guys:

Be careful of these in that they are illegal. States with mandatory annual safety checks may require you to get rid of those bulbs or set ups. Technically, flashing brake lamps are in violation of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 S5.5.10. That provision provides:

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment
in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and
school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(b) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to
flash for signaling purposes;

(c) A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either
its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to
modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in
accordance wtih S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

See 49 C.F.R. 571.108. Subsection (d) expressly applies to brake lamps. YYYYY - your dealer could not have installed the flashing brake lamps. If they had, they would be in violation of section 30122 of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act for "rendering inoperative" an item of motor vehicle equipment designed to conform to applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Moreover, they would have also been in violation of section 30112 which prohibits the manufacture, sale or import of noncomplying motor vehicles or equipment. See 49 U.S.C. 30112, 30122.

Right now, the only manufacturer actively toying with flashing brake lamps is Mercedes-Benz. The filed a petition with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to allow the limited use of flashing brake lamps in R&D vehicles used on U.S. roads. Everything else in the U.S. involving flashing brake lamps is aftermarket.

If you LIKE the flashing third brake lamp, don't go to your dealer. I'm willing to bet they didn't install it and missed it when it was sold. If you go to the dealer, you risk them changing it back. When you get your car inspected (if you have annual safety checks), be aware that your car may not pass with the lamps wired flashing!

BTW - I am personally a fan of the flashing brake lamps and have them on my motorcycle. Kisan Technologies makes a self-contained bulb unit that simply plugs right in. See http://www.kisantech.com and look under "brake light modulators." Their unit is a straight plug in bulb swap (no wires to splice!). I believe the 10W-D unit would work in the Murano.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: GONZO That is it!

GripperDon said:
I have mine in mode two, I guess I have more than 3 flashes before it goes steady.

Grip
GripperDon,

I found two typos in your post. It should have read "I had mine..." and "...I had more than 3 flashes...". The tense was incorrect.:D

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Re: Re: GONZO That is it!

njjoe said:

GripperDon,

I found two typos in your post. It should have read "I had mine..." and "...I had more than 3 flashes...". The tense was incorrect.:D

-njjoe
This is the power of the Murano....:D

·
4,994 Posts
I already feel so bad

:( about my ModMo, I really miss it terribly. But alas don't cry over split milk. I guess I just can't believe it's gone. When I go out into the garage I am still shocked that my "Garage Queen" is not sitting there smiling at me.

My only consolation is that the young couple that bought it seem so nice and thrilled with her.

Grip.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Jim C said:
....BTW - I am personally a fan of the flashing brake lamps and have them on my motorcycle. Kisan Technologies makes a self-contained bulb unit that simply plugs right in. See http://www.kisantech.com and look under "brake light modulators." Their unit is a straight plug in bulb swap (no wires to splice!). I believe the 10W-D unit would work in the Murano.
I saw that one but it was farily expensive.... ~$75. I guess its all relative.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts