Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 4th time recently I got a flat tire. Yesterday, when my wife pulled into the garage, I noticed something shiny in the Murano tire. It was a commercial staple! I pulled it out and I heard the dreaded sound. This morning this is what I saw:

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got the “fix flat” (see the pic) and hope the solution will last.

Anybody out there with experience with “fix flat”? Does it work? Any precautions?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Oh especially don't use that if you have the TPMS. I used it once in an emergency on my old jeep and when I got to the tire shop they wouldn't do anything with it. I took it home and did it myself (dismount tire clean out the goo plug it remount). It puts this sealant stuff in the tire. I plugged the tire, didn't run it long with just the fix a flat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It through the balance of my tire off since the liquid sealant was shifted to one end of the tire when in motion. Plus, the tire shop wasn't to happy with me when they dismounted the tire and then have all this liquid spill on there equipment. I will never used this temporary fix again.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I have always carried a can of fix-a-flat in my trunk. While is does make one hell of a mess for the guy fixing your tire, it definitely can get you out of a tight spot in an emergency.

I have also "lent" out a can on numerous occasions. You would be surprised at the number of people who drive around with a defective spare. It is a lot easier handing them the can then trying to arrange for a tow.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately or fortunately ;) I have used it. So far it seems to be working OK. If it lasts a week I will be happy.

Just priced new tires - Bridgestone HP Dulers Sports - $1,200!
Goodyear Eagle LS - $650.

Somehow I cannot justify the B. And after the deadening project, even with 31k miles on them, I cannot hear the GDY. I guess my bank manager will have last word in this case...

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flat tipped the scale - I did get new tires today. Went with the good old................GDY Eagle LS.
$650 fitted with life time free rotations, balancing, road hazard.
Could not refuse the offer.
Still the tire dealer did not do too good job with balancing.
So shortly will be back there to get it properly balanced.
I am set for another 30k miles..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I admit I carry a can of fix-a-flat in my trunk as well, but since I have TPMS, I can't use it (although njjoe made a good point that its good for inflating the emergency spare in a tight bind).

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Although I haven't used it personally, I've been told by tire nuts (sorry, I mean enthusiasts) that it's not a bad idea to keep a can around in emergencies. Basically, use your spare if you can, then use fix-a-flat if your spare is bad or you get another flat.

It's a temporary fix that pretty much ruins the tire. It can throw off balance (un-even distribution inside the tire) and to fix it the whole tire needs to be cleaned inside and out. Generally speaking, it means buying a new tire.

BUT, it can get you out of a jam and avoid dealing with a tow truck. And it's small enough to fit in the well with the spare tire.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Over the years I have encountered people, both on the side of the road and in parking lots, who have flat tires and need assistance. Sometimes I have helped changed their tires, while other times I simply opted to use the 'ol fix-a-flat. In either case they were more than happy to receive assistance and get on their way.

Fix-a-flat, along with a foam fire extinguisher, first aid kit, blanket, flashlight and shovel, will always be part of my mandatory trunk kit.

-njjoe

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i was keeping a can of it in my old taurus but since i got my mo never put it in. But now TPMS, full-sized spare and electric air pump keeps my peace of mind .....

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Enforcer said:
Yup I keep a plug kit and a compressor.
I do too. In this case however, the hole was in a side wall. :(

Repairs not possible or not recommended.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Used It, Works, No Problems

When you have a chance, Dismount tire, clean it all out and the TPMS, fix the leak and you are good to go. My Discount tire place did it all for free. :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Kris good luck with the new tires. I wonder if you or the wife had been driving through a construction area? I had a new home built about the same time my Murano was purchased. I managed only one flat but everyone in the subdivision had been picking up roofing nails in their tires.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bob1 said:
Kris good luck with the new tires. I wonder if you or the wife had been driving through a construction area? I had a new home built about the same time my Murano was purchased. I managed only one flat but everyone in the subdivision had been picking up roofing nails in their tires.
Thanks Bob,
this time it was a staple. I think somebody did it on purpose. But cannot be sure.
The new tires are.........hm.....soft. I did not realized how hard the old one were. Just anoys me that I have to go back to balance them properly. Just my bad luck,

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went back to Discount Tire. They were very apologetic and treated me very professionally. Interestingly they did not find anything wrong. Except one of the rear tire “being slightly off, just 0.5 ounce”. The end result – car drives great now.

Still I had to adjust tire pressure. Somehow nobody can get it right.

Overall, given my past experience with number of tire shops, I would say go for the cheap one. Do not expect much. If you lucky you may not have to go back. Almost all shops provide similar level of service.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Has anyone bought replacement TPMS's yet?

I used the fix-a-flat and ruined my TPMS. Now my 'flat tire' light stays on all the time [even after I got my new set of tires].

I talked to the Firestone guy and he said the TPMS was covered in goo from the fix-a-flat.

He didn't have any new sensors for the Murano, he said he'd have to order one.

Has anyone bought replacement TPMS's yet? Where can we get them and for how much?

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ohh how i dispise fixing tires that have goop in them haha. so far i've only encountered one and the ammonia smell alone is not worth the pain!

enforcer, how do you go about fixing a flat on your own. do you have access to a tire machine??

as for the tpms sensors flyerno9, they're about a 100bucks each:rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, I got a flat on my way home from work tonight and it's about an inch wide piece of metal in the tread. Luckily I was able to pull off the highway in time. I'm thinking I am going to have to replace the tire :( The tires that are on there are "Enduro's" and were on there when I bought it about a month ago.

Question: If I have to replace one tire is it suggested I replace two at a time? I an nervous I will get more road noise with a different tread pattern. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts