Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a floor jack from Walmart (I know, it was a big mistake, never again Walmart, but this is another story – I hate it store, bad customer service, checkouts never work, and they want to search you! What a joke!) which supposed to be built “Like a Mack”. It worked only for a few weeks (one or two uses) and started leaking, also the “quick lift” stopped working. Now, I am in the market for a new floor jack. Anybody out there with a good experience. I like to have a lightweight one, but the aluminum ones cost a lot on $$ and I just could not justify it. Let’s say something below $200.
Yes, I did research over Internet but after recent experiences I do not trust it. I really like to hear from somebody with experience.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I have had my 2 1/2 ton floor jack for 20 years. I have had to replace an O ring once, not a biggy. It is a Viking, but I got it at a place that doesn't exist.
There are various floor jacks at Northern Tools. (there is one at P'tree and Pleasant hill in Duluth)
Here is one. I have had several el cheap O's in my life...the one thing that you should look for is the width of the saddle and cast iron pivot parts. Good jacks are heavy--no doubt about that.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mgth3

thanks. It is a good find. I might to go there and see.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine at Sears for $99 on sale one weekend. Have used it numerous times to swap summer and winter tires on my M3.

Sears stands behind their Craftsman stuff and I think they will be in business for awhile.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, never thought about Craftsman. Just checked Sears site and found at least 2 interesting ones. $199 for aluminum one! It is great price. Need to go to Sears this weekend and see myself. But it is tempting

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In your opinion which one is the one:

Jack 1

jack 2

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
They are both good jacks but if you don't need the extra capacity, go with the aluminum one. Your back will appreciate it when time comes to lift and move it!.

Also check costco. I have seen aluminum jacks there at a god price but don't remember how much exactly. They don't show it online but call a store near you to get price and availability.

P.S. You can always hire jaak....:2:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You won't always have the MO>

Jack 1 has the ability to get under a low car that has a flat tire.........

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zebelkhan said:
P.S. You can always hire jaak....:2:

Weeeeeeel too expensive.....:D

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hfelknor said:
You won't always have the MO>

Jack 1 has the ability to get under a low car that has a flat tire.........

Homer
Homer,
you have a very important point!

·
4,664 Posts
zebelkhan said:
You can always hire jaak....:2:
My Father-in-Law won't let me buy one... He's a retired Chrysler mechanic. Every time I ask him what I should get, he tells me how much money he's got invested in tools, and that I should just get over there and use them. So I do.

I like to go to Moparfest with him. (www.moparfest.com) Just take him to a mopar, from the 50's, 60's or 70's and he'll start talking about the good things and the bad things about it.

So I have a dream shop. It's at his house! Just wish he had a lift!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have one of the $99 craftsman one's and have never had a problem with it. It does weigh an awful lot though. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I bought a 3-1/2 ton Michelin floor jack from Sams Club and haven't had a problem with it. Its very heavy though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I'd go aluminum.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
If I had to do it all over again I'd go aluminum.
My "heavy" jack is sitting outside rusting away as it is way too heavy for me to lift and store inside. When I buy another one, it will definitely be aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Mine is every bit of 100 lbs but I don't lift it, I roll it. It stays in the corner of the garage. I do remember puttin it on the bench to replace the O ring, that was fun with the handle flapping. That was about 5 years ago...it rolls ever since.
hehe

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Mine is every bit of 100 lbs but I don't lift it, I roll it. It stays in the corner of the garage. I do remember puttin it on the bench to replace the O ring, that was fun with the handle flapping. That was about 5 years ago...it rolls ever since.
hehe
I wish I had a corner left in my garage...:mad:
Between the two cars, 5 cabinets, 4 shelves, air compressor, car ramps, rollaway tool box and gardening stuff the only storage place I have left is outside, and my wife is not letting me put another storage shed in the yard (we have two already...) :D

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I hear ya, my Mo sits outside the garage lookin at my schtuff inside....same stuff, compressor, drill press, lathe, weight bench, weight trees, cabnets, rollaway tool chest...more crap then I have a right to own. We are fixing up the house to move, the next one has a spot for Mo, the rest will go in a basement.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sigh.
I remember basements.

Homer
Basementless in Florida.

·
Registered
79 Posts
also have the craftsman

Folks,

I have the Sears one also - about a 3 ton unit. I got it on sale for $99 with a pair of nice jack stands. My 8 year old daughter lifted the front end of our 6000# E-150 conversion van with it.

It IS heavy to lift and move around. It stays in my garage and is wheeled around on concrete.

OK - a brief hijack... Time to rotate the tires. Where are the best jacking points so I can also put a jack stand under the MO and hold up 1/2 the MO at a time?

Thanks,
Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts