Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts. I have an 03 with about 25,000 miles and have the MO for 2.5 years. As I recall the service manual calls our for the trasfer fluid and diff fluid to be changed at 30,000 miles/24 months. OK so I was going to have that done.

How easy it is to do it myself?

Also I wanted a radiator flush, however the Nissan deleaer (and most garages) only do a radiator drain. Do you think that is sufficient or am I being overly paranoid and a drain is enough?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually just reading through the serice manual it states to have the radiator fluid changed at 60,000 miles /48 months and then 30,000 miles /24 months after that.

The entire schedule 2 maintenance (normal car useage) never calls for the transfer fluid and diff fluid to every be changed, only inspected. Hmmmmm. If towing stuff then change every 30,000 miles. So maybe I really don't need to do anything here.

One other thing, in the service manual it shows where the filler and drain fluid for the transfer fluid is located, however the manual doesn't show where the filler and drain is located for the diff fluid. It only states: "Drain oil from drain plug and refill with new gear oil."

How can you drain AND refil from the same point?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"How can you drain AND refil from the same point?"

Not that difficult to figure out.
First drain the fluid, then flip the car over and refill.
Use a synthetic for better service.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
hfelknor said:

First drain the fluid, then flip the car over and refill.

Hmmmmm..... Sounds like I need to buy a new tool. I don't have the spiffy tool that holds my car upside down... :2:

·
5,244 Posts
No need for eBay. Just wait till winter sets in. Switch off VDC, AWD, find a nice band cover in ice and...........:D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Kris said:
No need for eBay. Just wait till winter sets in. Switch off VDC, AWD, find a nice band cover in ice and...........:D
Then it would be too cold for an oil change...:)

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Then it would be too cold for an oil change...:)
not if it was synthetic....;)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The fill and drain plugs are separate (obviously). Drain plug is below the fill plug. If you are changing either the transfer or rear diff fluid, remove the fill plug first. This is because if you remove the drain first and find the fill plug is stuck on there, you'll be SOL.

Both take 80w90 gear oil. The filling process is easier if you have one of those handy fluid pumps (like a pump on a soap container, but just larger so it fists on quart and gallon containers).

I have two bottles of Amsoil 80w90 sitting on my garage shelf just ready for this service at 30k. Its not absolutely necessary, but then its also not absolutely necessary to change oil until 7500 miles. So you get the point.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
...If you are changing either the transfer or rear diff fluid, remove the fill plug first. This is because if you remove the drain first and find the fill plug is stuck on there, you'll be SOL....
Excellent advice. That is something most will overlook. I know I would have!

How is the medical school going? If you decided to practice in California let me know. I am sure I can use a sharp doctor!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Excellent advice. That is something most will overlook. I know I would have!

How is the medical school going? If you decided to practice in California let me know. I am sure I can use a sharp doctor!
The course is going along fine. I'm actually in an MD/PhD dual degree program so it will be a looooong time before I'm out there for reals. So until then, take good care of yourself man.

Another note about the rear diff - it uses a hex flange bolt (I think thats what its called) which means you will need an allen socket to unscrew it, not a normal hex socket. I picked up a set of metric (4-17mm) allen sockets in 3/8" and 1/2" drive off ebay for about $10 for the job. Thats one thing I love about working on my car, whenever I try something new, I end up with a cool new set of tools.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll have a look to make sure I can find the fill/drain plugs. If you are under there anytime soon a picture would be appreciated.

Do you need to life th MO up or can you get at it without? One thing I love about the MO is doing an oil change without needed to put it on ramps.

What will you use to put on the plugs to seal them after they have been removed? Anything special?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Thanks, I'll have a look to make sure I can find the fill/drain plugs. If you are under there anytime soon a picture would be appreciated.

Do you need to life th MO up or can you get at it without? One thing I love about the MO is doing an oil change without needed to put it on ramps.

What will you use to put on the plugs to seal them after they have been removed? Anything special?
Rear diff requires new washers/gaskets. Front transfer just uses thread locker (Locktite blue i think). I'll see if I can find a picture of the bolts. Hold on...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Front transfer drain and refill directions. I like how Nissan says to warm the car up before draining the fluid. Looking at the picture, the fluid will drain right on the hot exhaust pipe, causing a fire. Yeah it says to protect the pipe with a cover, but what kind of cover? Shop towels? Are shop towels immune to 400 degree exhaust pipes?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nissan's "vague" rear diff fluid change directions. Note it has two plugs, a drain and refill, and they both have a metal crush gasket that should probably not be reused, per the shop manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I have the service manual and was surprised by their instructions.... or lack thereof.

I'll figure it out. Take a look at my next oil change and see what I'll need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts