Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weighing all of my options, I've decided that the best way to hook up my iPod would be through FM modulation.....not FM trasmition.....but modulation. I'm looking for an FM modulator that connects directly to the antenna jack in the Bose system, then offers rca outs. I've found a couple of models...most notably from Scosche, found here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tMCnqaFkB0t/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=fm+modulator&i=142FMMOD01

My question is....I'm pretty sure I'd need an antenna adapter, but I have no idea what to get. Anybody have any thoughts??

And just so you know, I seriously thought about going the PAC rout, but having integrated XM is too important to me. So, I'm willing to sacrifice sound quality to have XM and iPod.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What is wrong with the small FM modulator that connects to the top of the ipod? My brother has an IPOD with that modulator (cannot remember who made it) and it works fine in my Murano. The only advantage I can see of the unit you link to is that it might have a stronger signal to override any FM stations that might on the frequency you choose to use. As most of us have learned, the FM antenna on the Murano is not very sensitive anyway, so not many stations will be that strong. If that does happen though, just unscrew and remove the antenna from the Murano if you do not plan to listen to AM or FM stations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you've misunderstood what I'm looking for. What you're talking about is an FM TRAMSMITTER....a device that transmits the iPod signal to your stereo via the FM frequency.

What I'm looking for is an FM MODULATOR. A device that actuall connects to the antenna jack in the back of the stereo to provide an RCA output, which then connects to the iPod.

I'm looking for someone who has actually tried this so I can find out if an antenna adapter is needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
cgram23 said:
I think you've misunderstood what I'm looking for. What you're talking about is an FM TRAMSMITTER....a device that transmits the iPod signal to your stereo via the FM frequency.

Sorry, but I still do not understand. Here is a quote of part of the Crutchfield information about the FM-MOD unit:

"It converts the audio signal into an FM signal which will play through any factory stereo — no auxiliary input needed, all it takes is an FM radio!
Play your iPOD, satellite radio tuner, or DVD through the car stereo
RCA audio inputs and in-line wire connection for optimal sound quality
2 modulation frequencies (87.9 or 88.3)"

That sounds like to me, you take the output of the IPOD, plug it into the input of this unit, then it FM modulates the signal at either 87.9 or 88.3 and that signal is fed into the antenna input of the FM radio. There is a switch that either enables this signal or the signal from the antenna to pass though. Seems like the only advantage is that a strong RF signal is fed into the radio rather than going "through the air" to the antenna.

Perhaps someone has tried one of these units and can explain it more completely. Jaak, are you listening? This sounds right up your alley!

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
The MO uses a standard antenna jack doesnt it? It looks that way from the pics I have seen. This would mean a standard FM Modulator will do. These are quite common on eBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts