Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, just for curiosity, I inserted the FOB key in the ignition slot. As I put it in, it just pops out. I thought it would stay in there,

Its the first time I have tried it, beside the sales person when he sold me the MO.

Is that normal or there is a fix to it. tia

·
Registered
108 Posts
Simple fix

Hey, the simple "fix" is to turn the fob around (i.e., switch which end goes in to the slot first). It only goes in one way. It will be pushed out if you put in the wrong end first. Easy. It's not broken. No need to panic.

Hope this helps. :29:

Peace.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I went for a oil change at the Dealer and at the same time, told them of the problem of the FOB that it would not stay in the slot.

I learned a good one. Actually there`s no problem with the FOB slot its normal that it spits it out when its batteries are OK.

When the FOB batteries are low, it will indicate on the dash, and then the slot will hold in the Fob. otherwise it will spit it out.:29:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good to know :29:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't believe that's true. I've put the fob into the slot many times and the batteries are fine. Never has it "spit" it back out.

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Weather techs
Stainless bumper
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side mirror LEDs

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Today I went for a oil change at the Dealer and at the same time, told them of the problem of the FOB that it would not stay in the slot.

I learned a good one. Actually there`s no problem with the FOB slot its normal that it spits it out when its batteries are OK.

When the FOB batteries are low, it will indicate on the dash, and then the slot will hold in the Fob. otherwise it will spit it out.:29:
Frankmar... The dealer blew smoke up your a_s!

Can tell you that the Murano's fob placed in the slot with the Nissan emblem going in first and the emblem facing up will stay in the slot regardless of the charge status of the fob's battery.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts
Try putting it in with the car off. Mine did that when I tried to put it in while the car was running. Take care!

Jim

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ours stays in the slot all the time since it's garaged. The whole low battery thing is BS.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I inserted mine while car was off, it held it for 4 seconds and as I bearly touched it, it did Yaaaack and spit it out:eek:

looks like I have to do some more investigation.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That slot clamps the fob by those two indents on either side. There's nothing electronic about how it's held in so I can't see how, unless not inserted properly or backwards, it would be spit out. Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a used 2009 Murano and my fob is constantly shooting out of the slot. If I hit even the slightest bump in the road, out it goes. If I barely bump it, OUT!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 2012 and the only time the fob needs to go in the slot is if the battery is low - as per the manual. Otherwise the fob is in my pocket.
Are the 2009s any different or are they less 'intelligent'?

·
Registered
771 Posts
It is also possible someone may have jammed something in there and damaged the OP's retention mechanism... Just spitballing here, as it does appear to be entirely mechanical for what holds it in.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You shouldn't be putting the fob in the slot unless there is low battery.
I'm going to look in my manual later but I can tell you I've used that slot many many times in both my Muranos and have zero issues. Using it with low battery only makes no sense to me. That would make it nothing but a glorified battery tester. I find it a useful feature. I suggest the OP put in a fresh battery and try again. I put in a fresh battery every year. I buy a bunch at a time on eBay and they're cheap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
^^^ I believe the intent is that if the battery is too weak to put out a signal the car can detect, putting in the slot solves the problem. Move ahead one year to my 2013 Altima. There is no slot, but if the car does not recognize the key in my pocket, the instructions are to place the fob against the chrome ring which surrounds the stop/start button, hold it there and push the button.

There is also an improvement in the technology between the 2 years. Press the button in the Mo and there is a very slight delay as the sytem steps through the process (watch the lights around the button). In the Altima no such delay, start is instant.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts