Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fog bulbs replacement – how to do it

Finally I did it. But before I show how to do it a word to Nissan Engineers/designers. All my professional life I preached “maintainability”. I guess Nissan engineers do not know this word. They should all be sent to a garage, given 100 Muranos with a simple task: replace fog bulbs! Maybe they would learn something.

Anyway, I have finally found time and installed the Hoen xenonmatch as a replacement for the OEM’s fog bulbs. Now how to do it – I have the service manual (only 4,500 pages or so) and there is just one sentence on how to do it. Very vague to say the least. But thanks to the tips from this board I have managed to do it (thanks esemes!). I did take the wheels off as it gave me much better access. Still it was kind of an awkward job. But the results were worth it.

I have attached a number of photos on showing the progress of work as well as “before” and “after” results. The photos do not do the full justice; in reality the match is better.

1 st photo - splash guard

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
access the the fog lamp assembly

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
undo the bolt and push the pin

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fog lamp assembly pulled out

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM color

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OEM v. Hoen

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new look!

A word of comment to the previous pic - the Hoen is not as pikish. Guess camera shifted the color slightly.

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was easier! At least for me.;)

You were right about the passenger side............veeeeeeeeeeeery awkward!:3:

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
awkward, to say the LEAST....

did you happen to look up, once you had the innser 'skin' peeled back??? thas where the parking light recpticle is.......

same procedure will work to change them out..... (jus turn and pull to get the old bulbs out....neednt remove the headlight assembly....)

looks SOOOO much better, IMO....

S

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, because I pulled out the lamp assembly I escape injuries.........;)

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last image - front view. Now is time to upgrade park lights........

Attachments

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
again, nice imagery Kris.......

seems your camera likes the night better than my Fuji finepix......

i have found many digi-cam's have that shortcoming.....

are you using hoen for the 194's too??? they are in stock now (too bad for me, but im more than happy with the PIAA platniums)

-S

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haven't decided on parking yet.

As to the camera - in condition like this it is better to switch to manual mode. If your camera has this option I mean. I am using Canon S40. Just an average digital camera. Takes quite good pictures though............

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
es,

there is nothing wrong with your picture.......the lights look great.........i really need to change the parking bulbs......next weekend guess.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
what a butt to do

I installed some SilverStars about a month ago in the fogs and it took me over an hour to do. I didnt pull out the fog light assembly at all. I pulled off all the plastic guards in the wheel weld, got to the back of the fog assembly and tried for like 20 mins on each to pull out the bulb and replace it, what a nightmare. Once i got done and everything together it was worth it though.

But id have to say that will most likely be the hardest bulb replacement ill ever have to do in my life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
your day running lights?

Esemes...
your pic of your MO looks awesome, what type of daytime light bulbs did u use to replace them? I have seen some aftermarket 194 bulbs but they all look like the cheap colored bulbs for some kids honda.

Also how hard is it to replace those daytime bulbs ( 194 )? Is it as hard as the fogs?

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Re: your day running lights?

floaty98 said:
Esemes...
your pic of your MO looks awesome, what type of daytime light bulbs did u use to replace them? I have seen some aftermarket 194 bulbs but they all look like the cheap colored bulbs for some kids honda.

Also how hard is it to replace those daytime bulbs ( 194 )? Is it as hard as the fogs?

float-

click and receive

i have a method down now (have tried two different bulbs on the parking type) that nets the change in under 1 minute total....

no screws, bolts or fasteners.......

BUT, to be safe, theres two upper wheelwell pushtabs to remove, then itsa simple peeling of the liner to reveal the entire inside/rear of the main assembly......

from that point on, its as easy as turning the bulb ¼ turn to unlock it, and then repeat the reverse to secure it......

-s

or if you are ever in clearwater............lol

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: what a butt to do

floaty98 said:
I installed some SilverStars about a month ago in the fogs and it took me over an hour to do. I didnt pull out the fog light assembly at all. I pulled off all the plastic guards in the wheel weld, got to the back of the fog assembly and tried for like 20 mins on each to pull out the bulb and replace it, what a nightmare. Once i got done and everything together it was worth it though.

But id have to say that will most likely be the hardest bulb replacement ill ever have to do in my life.
That's why I pulled the lamp assembly out. It was much easier, especially on the passenger side. But you are right, pain in the..............I wish I could get hold of the engineers who designed it:3:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts