Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
How about a module to have the ability to engage fog lights with parking lights only.... this way you can have 'em on with high beams.

I would be happy to assist with that baby.
I think that is illigal in most states in the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually most so called Fog lights on US cars are simply driving lights. Fog lights use a yellow beam to help cut through the Fog. If you look at most European cars in Europe use true fog lights. So it is very beneficial to have the "driving lights" stay when you have the high beams on. Traditional high beams shot light up and away from the car, hence the name "high beams". So in theory you would want those lights on to light the lower part of the road in-front of your car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
iMurano said:
actually most so called Fog lights on US cars are simply driving lights. Fog lights use a yellow beam to help cut through the Fog.
iMurano-

It is not the yellow light, but the sharp cut-off that make fog lights beneficial in foggy conditions. At one time it was though the yellow light was easier on the eyes when it was reflected back by the water vapor in the fog. Studies have since shown that is not the case. The key to the fog light is in the lenses. The lenses cut the beam off sharply.

The MO's "fog lights" have a lens that spreads the beam and cuts the top portion of the beam. They are more of a fog light than a driving light, which focuses the beam far ahead of the car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
E-

If you take a close look at the fog light housing you can see the bulb is surrounded on the bottom and sides by a sleeve. The top surface of the bulb is fully exposed. The top portion of the reflector housing is shaped and textured differently from the rest of the reflector. These two things together produce a light beam that is wide and flat, with little light above the horizontal axis.

After-market accessory fog lights usually have shielded bulbs and rely on the lens, not the reflector, to produce the "fog" light pattern.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The manual calls them fog lights.

Illegal or not it would be very difficult to enforce and I would love to have 'em working off the parking lights not the headlights.

If anyone knows or comes up with a module I'll pay for it !!!

Heck in the State of Mass you can't even have fog lights on unless conditions warrant it ($10 or$20 fine as the State Tropper informed me a few years ago while being pulled over for speeding. Nice Tropper, a ticket and a learning expericne at the same time.) :3:

·
Registered
222 Posts
As far as I am aware, it is technically illegal to use fog lights in Canada unless the conditions warrant their use. Heavy rain, fog, or heavy snowfall would suffice.

Strangely, the foglights are used as the daytime running lights (a requirement on all cars in Canada).

BTW, one of my fog light lenses has smashed already, only 1k. Any good compatible alternatives to simply replacing the lens? Anyone have a line on protective cages for these lenses?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I added fog lights to my S MO and have it connected to my park lights.

Because of the technical difficulties create by the BCM and the combination switch, I just bought a fog kit of of ebay that included the lights, bulb, and harness. I was able to simply rewire the harness and connect the switch wire to the side park lamp. The power is connected to the battery. My fogs come on with the park light.

You can get just the harness alone for $30 shipped off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...709QQitemZ290000818857QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I would suggest spending an extra 30 and get both fogs as well for back up. They fit work great.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
A very simple 4-pole relay from any automotive parts store will do the job. Connect it between the battery and the light, and energize it using the wire that goes to the marker light. So any time your markers are on, the fog lights will also be on. You can install a switch to cut the power off to the relay so fog light operation can be returned to normal when you want to. You should be able to do this in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used a relay powered from the ignition and installed a switch
so I can turn them on in any configuration I want. (DTRL)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts