Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 SV and I noticed the fog lights stopped working. Today I checked the fuse and it is good. I even tried swapping the bulbs with the low beams to see if the bulb was bad and they work. I was wondering if it could be a relay, I have noticed when I turn the headlights on that there are two relays on the top part of the fuse panel under the hood that click. Anyone know how to remove them? They are flush mounted and I cant get under them.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I will order these today, thank you for the information. I never knew these existed.
Same here... Another specially tool to add to my tool kit, alongside my snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a 2012 SV and I noticed the fog lights stopped working. Today I checked the fuse and it is good. I even tried swapping the bulbs with the low beams to see if the bulb was bad and they work. I was wondering if it could be a relay, I have noticed when I turn the headlights on that there are two relays on the top part of the fuse panel under the hood that click. Anyone know how to remove them? They are flush mounted and I cant get under them.
In Obi-Wan Kenobi voice: "These are not the relays you're looking for."

The mini relay you have circled in the pic is the starter control relay and the other one on the left is one of the radiator cooling fan relays. BTW, relay pliers are useless to get those out--you'll need a couple of very small flat-head screwdrivers and have to carefully pry them up back and forth and there's a good chance they'll crack the housing anyway.

Almost all the relays are inside the IPDM (a dozen of them) and are literally soldered to the PCB and that's what you hear clicking. If the fog light relay is bad then you would have to replace the whole IPDM. I would think the problem is likely elsewhere though (e.g. combination switch).

You can find the service manual for your car here (see the "Exterior Lighting" file) and it has a wiring diagram and diagnostic procedures: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it looks like the issue might be with the BCM that has the combination switch on it and according to the diagram in the link you sent me (extremely helpful book to have) this will take some work to locate. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
So it looks like the issue might be with the BCM that has the combination switch on it and according to the diagram in the link you sent me (extremely helpful book to have) this will take some work to locate. Thank you for your help.
The combination switch is the stalk on your steering wheel. The BCM (Body Control Module) is behind the gauges in the dashboard. The lighting system in these cars is a bit convoluted (not just the fog lamps). Basically, for each light the BCM has an input line going to the combination switch and an output line coming from the combination switch. It sends a pulsed signal through the input line and when you put the combination switch in the position of the light you want to turn on, the signal is allowed to flow through the combination switch back to the BCM where it is listening. Once the BCM senses the return signal, it sends a signal to the IPDM through the CAN network to turn on whatever light you switched on.

Now that I'm thinking about it, one easy thing you can do is run the IPDM auto-active test (see PDF attachment) as this will tell you if the IPDM can turn on the fog lamps at all. If it can, then the problem is either with the combination switch or BCM (or wiring in between).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the craziest test I have heard of, but I have to say that I am amazed that it worked. The fog lights turned on during the test, but after the test was completed they still won't turn on when I turn on my headlights. Is it safe to say that the issue is the BCM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where is the combination switch located? Might be a cheaper part to look at before getting the BCM removed and replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to thank everyone for your quick posts, guidance and for sharing the link for the service manual. I will be using that in the future. Now I need to share that the fog lights are now working and that I realized that the toggle switch on the rocker arm was turned off. Perfect example of troubleshooting 101 is to always start with the most obvious solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts