Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I had the doors lock on me twice. It is simply a design flaw of the interior door handle/lock. When you pull the handle with your left hand the locking knob sometime gets in the way and gets locked."

How does my vehicle know if I am pulling the handle with my right hand or my left hand?

Also, are you talking about, after I am already in the vehicle closing the door; or if I am standing outside trying to open the door?
My 2004 Murano SE has done this since the day I bought it. Recently, the alternator had to be replaced after the vehicle shut down on the side of the road. With the battery dying, the vehicle computer reset itself back to factory defaults, and the driver door still locks by itself. (All of the other doors remain unlocked). There is no pattern......I can step outside for 45 seconds and the door my lock by itself; or I can come home from work, park inside my garage for the night, and the next morning it is locked. (But the other doors remain unlocked)

This problem is so frustrating, I am ready to trade it in......

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Simple answers:

The "accidental" locking of the door is an issue with the MO. You can easily check if you did this by mistake by doing the following:
  • Turn off MO
  • Remove keys from ignition
  • Open the door (with either hand... doesn't matter silly :p)
  • Take keys with you
  • Exit MO
  • BEFORE closing door check to see if the interior door lock is in the LOCK position
  • IF YES then you accidentally hit the lock with you fingers when closing the door. Manually unlock wht door BEFORE closing door.
  • If NO then you door is NOT locked and you don't have fat fingers

Got it?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you do everthing that the Gonz listed and you are absolutely sure you are not hitting the lock with your hand when exiting the car.........
you could take it to the nice man at Nissan and tell him to apply the TSB that replaces the wiring harness for the drivers door.

Homer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't weigh 500 lbs......

Simple answers:

The "accidental" locking of the door is an issue with the MO. You can easily check if you did this by mistake by doing the following:

Turn off MO

Remove keys from ignition

Open the door (with either hand... doesn't matter silly )

Take keys with you

Exit MO

BEFORE closing door check to see if the interior door lock is in the LOCK position

IF YES then you accidentally hit the lock with you fingers when closing the door. Manually unlock wht door BEFORE closing door.

If NO then you door is NOT locked and you don't have fat fingers

Got it?

Yeah Gonzo, I got it. Would you like to buy a 2004 Murano SE - Silver with black leather interior?
After driving for 28 years, if I have to STOP and look, as I get out, to see if I accidentally brushed the door lock, then I need to go back to American made vehicles.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have never had this happen to anyone who has ever driven our Murano. Sounds rediculous to me.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
advmicro1 said:
After driving for 28 years, if I have to STOP and look, as I get out, to see if I accidentally brushed the door lock, then I need to go back to American made vehicles.
Unfortunately this is a design flaw that has not to my knowledge been fixed. When I first got my MO I locked myself out all the time. Once I realized I was doing it myself, and paid attention, it never happened again. The same with the gas lid door. True, some of the solenoids have gone out, but a lot of peole also bend the tab on the lid acceidentally when filling up (gets cought by their cloth, the nozzle, etc.) and then it does not open the next time. It has happened to my MO and my wife's C class.

Another contributing factor to the door lock issue: When you are in the MO, lock all the doors with the button on the control panel, then open the driver's door by pulling on the inside door handle. You will notice the door will unlock but the door lock knob will only travel halfway. Since the lock knob has not been flipped open all the way, it is just possible that it will throw itself into lock position (or move just enough) and lock the door when it is slammed shut.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Re: I don't weigh 500 lbs......

advmicro1 said:
Yeah Gonzo, I got it. Would you like to buy a 2004 Murano SE - Silver with black leather interior?
I think the design is bad no doubt. But I still love this car. :2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Re: I don't weigh 500 lbs......

advmicro1 said:
Simple answers:

Turn off MO

Remove keys from ignition

Open the door (with either hand... doesn't matter silly )

Take keys with you

Exit MO

BEFORE closing door check to see if the interior door lock is in the LOCK position

IF YES then you accidentally hit the lock with you fingers when closing the door. Manually unlock wht door BEFORE closing door.

If NO then you door is NOT locked and you don't have fat fingers

Got it?

Seems like you are taking your anger out on us.
All we can do is try to help.
If that isn't good enough for you, then......

Homer

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't have this problem with my Murano. I'm wondering if it is because of the Intelligent key.

I do have her set to auto lock after 1 min l'm out/away from the car, but I know that is not what your talking about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pesky door locking ghosts.

I've noticed the door will lock itself sometimes.

Frankly, I was surprised to see some of you suggest that you think people accidentally bump the lock switch.

I know how it happens for me... perhaps some of you do it the same way.

1. Drive home listening to an audiobook on your ipod.
2. Pull in to your garage and turn the car from On to Acc and sit there for a couple more minutes until the chapter ends.
3. Turn the car off and go inside.
4. Come back hours later to find the driver's door locked and the others how they were (usually unlocked in my garage).

Happens all the time.

I'm convinced it has something to do with how I shut the car off in those situations.

Perhaps I'm on crack.

Nice day for crack though.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Frankly, I was surprised to see some of you suggest that you think people accidentally bump the lock switch."

Watch this!
Never at any time will my lips leave my face.:)

We are not "suggesting" this.
We are stating it.
It has happened to several people here, several times.
zebelkhan states this in his post.

And despite advmicro1's 'tude, you don't have to be 500 pounds to do it.
And yes, he can "buy American" and do away with this problem.

Of course he gets a whole new problem.....

From Google for "GM Door Locks"

"General Motors has asked the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to review a decision granting a new trial to a driver who was assaulted by an attacker after the automatic door locks opened on her 1995 Pontiac Grand Am."

They can't seem to keep their locks closed.
Maybe GM and Nissan should merge......:rolleyes:

However, IMO, the biggest problem in the instance of JUST the Drivers door locking is likely to be the TSB.
The TSB replaces the faulty wiring harness for the driver door.

As to your issue, I doubt (but don't know) that it has anything to do with how you turn the car off.

Homer

·
Registered
21 Posts
I said "Frankly". Are you Frank? :ucrazy:

No really. I just thought it was odd.

... anyhooo...

I will go home tonight, make the ghosts lock my doors and note very carefully what I did to conjure them.

I'll report back tomorrow.

D!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just check the door lock AFTER you open the door and release the handle. I have an 03 and had the doors lock by themselves. They applied the TSB and it fixed it however I do find sometime that I catch myself hitting the lock when closing the door.

I suppose the other thing it could be is that something is hitting the remote, in your pocket, when handling the remote etc.... I've also had this happen as well.

If I were you I would roll down the windows, turn off the car, and exit notice the postion of the door lock. Leave the keys with remote in the car and see what happens when you return. That would eliminate a remote control issue and fingers hitting the lock. If it is locked when you come back, then it is a harness issue.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A very appreciative THANK YOU!

I want to truly thank everyone that has responded to my inquiry.
Despite popular belief, I do not have a 'tude; but I do have a driver's door that will automatically lock by itself.

I will take these printouts to the local dealership and hope that they will apply the TSB.

Again, thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ghosts.

Right.

So, I tried four different times to get the doors to lock themselves in ways I would say they have before. No dice.

I'll just have to try to do it the other way - wait for them to lock and try to remember what happened before.

... on an aside, isn't there some auto-lock setting in the "Settings"? I though there was but couldn't find it when I was looking for it.

D.

·
4,601 Posts
I've opened mine, when they were locked, and bumped the lock part the way closed with the heel of my left hand, as I was opening it, resulting in it locking when the door closed.

I've also gotten out, realised the other doors are still locked and used my remote to unlock them, which automagically, or autotragically sets off the timer to relock them, under certain conditions.

After being stung this way once, and having to break into my own house to get the other keys, I always take the keys with me, or roll down the drivers door window.

I do keep the TSB in mind if I ever detect, without a doubt, that they have locked outside of these conditions. So far, so good... But I wish it was selectable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Door Help

I have a 2005 seawd with the Tech. package. Can I set something within the system to automatically lock the doors after the vehicle is in motion for a short distance. My Ford and Chevy trucks have this feature.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
No factory auto-lock that I know of, but they have a couple of different add-on modules at www.kptechnologies.com for a great price. One module will lock the doors 6 seconds after the ignition is turned on, the other locks them when engine RPM reaches 1500 (VQ35 engines only). The owner use to be on this forum and may give special consideration to the members here. In fact, I have his e-mail address and will send an inquiry too!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Re: Pesky door locking ghosts.

Dethpickle said:
I've noticed the door will lock itself sometimes.

Frankly, I was surprised to see some of you suggest that you think people accidentally bump the lock switch.
LMAO. So it must be the gremlins that lock my driver's door when only 1 particular friend drives it, and never for anyone else?

I've watched him do it, and yes it's more prominent with the left hand because of the angle of the hand.

That being said, there are possibly some wiring problems that could cause it too, re the TSB.

·
Registered
470 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Another contributing factor to the door lock issue: When you are in the MO, lock all the doors with the button on the control panel, then open the driver's door by pulling on the inside door handle. You will notice the door will unlock but the door lock knob will only travel halfway. Since the lock knob has not been flipped open all the way, it is just possible that it will throw itself into lock position (or move just enough) and lock the door when it is slammed shut.
My inside drivers door handle doesn't open the door if the doors are locked. I have to unlock the doors first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts