Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it could be worse, you could have bought a Pilot! :eek:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda recalls about 650,000 minivans, SUVs

Automaker to fix potential transmission problems

Updated: 2:58 p.m. ET April 14, 2004

Honda Motor Co. Ltd. has recalled about 650,000 of its minivans and sport utility vehicles sold in the United States and Canada to fix a potential problem with the transmission, the Japanese automaker said on Wednesday.

The recall includes certain model year 2002, 2003 and early 2004 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2003 and early 2004 Honda Pilot SUVs; and 2001 and 2002 Acura MDX SUVs, all equipped with V-6 engines and five-speed automatic transmissions.

The gear teeth in the transmission could chip or break, resulting in abnormal noise or in rare instances, possible locking of the transmission, creating a potential safety hazard, Honda said.

Honda is aware of 10 incidents of transmission failure, but there were no injuries or accidents resulting from the condition, the automaker said.

Honda will begin notifying owners of affected vehicles by mail in May, and they will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. Honda will replace the transmission assembly at no cost if necessary.

The recall includes 600,000 vehicles sold in the United States and about 50,000 in Canada.

·
5,268 Posts
Yes, you are right. We tend to complain about few rattles.....

The transmission problems kept me out of Acura TL S..........

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep, I went through 3 trannies in 1 month and about 400 miles on my Acura TL-S 2002. It was very embarrasing as it was a trade in for my MO and broke the 3rd time as I was about 1 mile from the Nissan dealership.

·
Registered
202 Posts
TikiMan said:
I guess it could be worse, you could have bought a Pilot! :eek:
Or, it seems, any of a number of vehicles!

------------------------

DaimlerChrysler Recalls 2.3 Million Cars to Fix Gearshifts
Posted: 3/31/04 9:43 a.m. CST

By Harry Stoffer
Automotive News

DaimlerChrysler AG is notifying owners of more than 2.3 million cars built in the 1993-99 model years that the shift mechanisms on their automatic transmissions should be modified or replaced.

DaimlerChrysler is recalling 2.3 million cars because the transmission can shift out of park, creating the danger of a rollaway crash.

The affected models are the 1993-99 Chrysler Concorde and LHS and Dodge Intrepid, 1993-97 Eagle Vision, 1999 Chrysler 300M, 1995-99 Chrysler Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, and 1996-99 Chrysler Sebring convertible and Plymouth Breeze.

The company discovered that in some cars with floor shifters, the transmission can be moved out of park with the key out of the ignition, or the key can be removed when the transmission is in a gear other than park. The condition creates the danger of a rollaway crash.

In documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DaimlerChrysler says its research identified more than 600 complaints about the shifters. The complaints cited 127 rollaway crashes, resulting in 17 injuries and one death.

The automaker says the problem appears to be limited to vehicles that have had multiple and possibly abusive drivers, such as those from rental fleets. But the automaker is recalling all potentially affected cars.

The repair involves installation of a new push rod in the shift lever. If the shift assembly is damaged, the company will replace it. Some of the cars were recalled in 1998 for other ignition-park interlock repairs, records show.

Here are other recalls NHTSA is reporting:

Ford Motor Co. is recalling 939,000 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans from 2000-03 because the brake light switch and wiring can fail. In one failure mode, the brake lights don’t work and the transmission does not shift out of park. In another failure mode, the brake lights stay on and the speed control does not function. The company will also replace the air filters in 400,000 2003 Taurus and Sables because they can catch fire.

Audi of America Inc. is recalling 173,000 A6, S6 and allroad cars built in the 1998-2004 model years because fires may break out in the left side of the instrument panel. Dealers are to install a protective covering on a crash element — a metal piece that keeps the exterior of the vehicle from coming back into the cabin in a crash — to prevent contact with headlight wiring that could cause a short circuit.

Land Rover is recalling 100,000 Discovery II SUVs from 1999-2004 because the ABS modulator valve cover bolts can crack, reducing brake function. The company will also replace a pump that aids the suspension system in 8,000 2000-2003 models of the Discovery II, because the pump can leak and the fluid can catch fire from engine heat.

Chrysler is recalling 35,000 2004 Pacificas because the engine can stall in low-speed cornering when it is cold.

Jaguar is recalling 32,000 cars because the automatic transmission may shift into reverse when a forward gear is chosen. The action affects 2003 and 2004 S-Type and XK models, and 2004 XJ models.

Volvo is recalling 30,000 2004 S60, V70 and S80 models because steering control arms can come apart from the spindle, causing steering to become too loose.

Jeep is recalling 15,000 2004 Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicles with 4-liter engines because the crankshaft position sensor wiring can fail, causing engine stalling.

Jeep is recalling 3,000 2004 Liberty SUVs to update software that can cause door locks to seize.

Maserati is recalling 2,000 2004 Coupes and Spyders because fuel hoses can disconnect from their metal fittings.

-------------------------------

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
The company discovered that in some cars with floor shifters, the transmission can be moved out of park with the key out of the ignition, or the key can be removed when the transmission is in a gear other than park. The condition creates the danger of a rollaway crash.
This actually happened to me with my '98 Dodge Stratus. My (then) 5 year old son was in the car for a minute while I went in the garage to get something. He was belted in his booster seat and I had the car keys in my pocket. In that short time I was not looking, he got out of the seat and yanked the gear shift. I turned around just in time to see my car rolling backwards down the driveway. It went straight across the street and hit the car parked at the curb on the opposite side. Thank GOD there was no traffic on my street because my son was still in the car and at this point unbelted. I NEVER left him alone in the car again, even for a second. Even though I was RIGHT THERE within sight of the car, this happened.

There was a recall for this problem once before that I had performed and the problem happened again anyway. Dodge was VERY interested in my case at the time. They paid for the damage to my neighbor's car because I had proof the recall was done once already and it was obviously a design flaw that caused the accident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts