Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think that with the disaster the Focus initially was with all those recalls, Ford would bother TESTING their vehicles before selling them. Well, I guess not. The new crossover Ford Freestyle has a standard CVT similar to the one in the Audis, and guess what, its defective. Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

Freestyle CVT issues.

Fortunately it appears to be a computer issue and not a hardware issue. Yep Ford, where "quality" is job "none."

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I believe they also use the CVT in the 500.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Snow MO said:
I believe they also use the CVT in the 500.
Correct, and Consumer Reports didn't care for the CVT in the 500 in the most recent test. They said the versionj of the 500 they tested with the CVT was sluggish from the start and that the 500 (both transmission versions) were under powered with the V6.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Oh come one... give Ford a break.. it was less than 20 out of 30,000 cars. I bet the 30,000 cars combined have less rattles than the MO.... (of course... no rattle when being towed... tadumpt dumpt dumpt!)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the 500 doesn't experience a recall for another issue (I'm forgetting the 20 CVTs), may I never insult a Ford again. :D

I will give Ford credit for building a sedan which, despite its lack of power, seems to do the job in other areas (large interior space, european styling, and from what I hear, not so shabby handling).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I don't like Ford, but at least they are "man" enough to admit 20 out of 30,000 CVT's have problems. Try to get that admission out of Nissan!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe the new Ford 500 is a replacement for the Taurus, which is surely one of the worst cars ever built, or at least the one I owned was. I've often wondered what the hell I was thinking of when I bought that turkey.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Did you get it at Thanksgiving ? GRIP :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I owned a taurus a couple years ago and loved it. I've only had my Murano two days now and seem to like it alot better but of course it cost alot more.

·
4,664 Posts
My wife gets a new Taurus every single year and has been going through this since 1989. I purchased a new Taurus SE in 1995, which in 1997 became my In-Laws car, after I got another Taurus as a company car. I still like it and it's in great shape, mainly because they're retired and don't use it a lot. It's got about 40,000 miles on it and still like new. It also rides better than the newer ones.

Compared to the Murano? Well, I wish Ford dealers sold Nissan's because every Ford dealer I worked with, had excellent service. But, I needed them more than the Murano has. As far as driving and the ride, the Taurus is called "The Truck" and the Murano is called "The car", because the feel of each, is just like that.

I hear people on occasion refer to the Murano's interior as cheap and too much plastic, but have you driven a Ford lately? I love the Murano's interior, especially against the Taurus.

Now to be fair, it's an OK car, but in a different class than the Murano. (Down, that is...)

My wife thinks they're great, reliable cars. That from a woman who's never had one for more than 14,000 miles and 12 months.;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's great jaak, I'm glad you have had such positive experiences with the Taurus.

I bought mine used, and in 18 months spent perhaps $4, 000 on repairs before I gave up. I had a tough time selling it, nobody but nobody even wanted it at all as tradein, much less giving me a decent price for it. I finally gave it to a curber and was happy just to get rid of it.

The thing that got me riled though was the nature of the repairs: suspension components that should take decades to wear out, a high pressure AC hose($600) that should never wear out, obscure electrical harness problems, the list of weird stuff was endless.

·
4,664 Posts
Well that's just it... Ford gives good service, because they get a lot of practice with all the repairs they have to do.

The Taurus I bought, has done well, because it hardly gets driven.

My wifes have been great, because she's never had one past a year.

So if you don't plan to have the car for more than a year, or do approx. 4-5,000 miles a year, they seem to be OK.

But for the rest of us, who actually have to use the things, I wouldn't get another. Not a chance....

·
Registered
719 Posts
jaak said:

So if you don't plan to have the car for more than a year, or do approx. 4-5,000 miles a year, they seem to be OK.
Wouldn't that be incredible! Then I could literally drive damn near anything made by anyone and not worry about it failing or giving me any problems to speak of.

·
4,664 Posts
Well, actually no... The Murano's brakes would squeak for about a year, while backing up.:D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
That explains why I never had a single problem all the time I owned my 04 MO.:2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts