Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Freestyle article and pic from the thecarconnection.com

Dont you think it looks *a bit* like the acura MDX?

Ford Freestlye article

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I dont think it looks too bad, however I do think it looks like it doesnt know if it wants to be a station wagon or SUV. I saw one of those and a 500 on a trailer in Geuga county, Ohio and thought that it was just a little too low for me. It also seems so odd to have so many SUVs in one family.
Escape
Freestyle
Explorer
Expedition
Excursion

Now that i look at the list i would say it isnt supposed to be an SUV? Or is ford breaking out of their Ex--- mold? Was the Escape the escape from that trend?

I've owned 3 fords before this car so I like their styling, but I think they are saturating the market with these things...where is the uniqueness?

·
Registered
541 Posts
maybe they should have called it the "example" as in example of what not to buy...kinda looks like a landrover to me, which I have never been very fond of. Ford and Landrover same company so I expect they might share some parts.

·
4,601 Posts
Looks like a Station Wagon... Next!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I once owned a Ford car, a Taurus. I'd guesstimate I've owned about 25 vehicles so far, and the Taurus was undoubtedly the worst engineered vehicle of the bunch. That's a real achievement when you consider there were a couple of English cars in the group.

I'll never own another Ford.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It doesn't look anything like the MDX in my opinion, the cheap front fascia screams Exploder. The interior is very similar to the upcoming Ford 500 sedan (itself based on the Volvo S80 V70 platform).

I saw one on the freeway one day (with camouflage) and it looked cheap.

4000lbs, with 200hp and a CVT. I bet this thing is going to feel REALLY sluggish. Rumors are that Ford is developing its own 3.5L V6 in the 250hp range for future models.

If this is like other new Ford models, the Freestyle will probably do well in crash tests, have a smooth controlled ride, have "better" interior quality than GM/Chrysler, and be hit with dozens of recalls over its first 2 years.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i edit my post after i went to ford website..

you are right, it is not an suv.
Must be the picture in the car connection that does not have thee rigth aspect ratio (height width) hence it looks shorter & taller than it is supposed too.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I disagree. I think that this is much more of an SUV than a station wagon. Let's look at some stats (taken from Edmunds.com):

Freestyle (listed as a Midsize Wagon on Edmunds.com):
Height: 74.4 in
Length: 199.8 in
Wheel Base: 112.9 in
Curb Weight: 4112 lbs

Now compare that to the Murano (listed as a Midsize SUV):
Height: 66.5 in
Length: 187.6 in
Wheel Base: 111.2 in
Curb Weight: 3964 lbs

Seems to me that it's even more of an SUV than our beloved MO. Certainly a lot longer and taller. I would like to know what their definition of a Midsize Wagon is.

Edmunds also considers the Volvo XC70 to be a Midsize Wagon. Here are it's stats, and keep in mind that this is the taller version of their "normal" V70 wagon:
Height: 61.5 in
Length: 186.3 in
Wheel Base: 108.8 in
Curb Weight: 3699 lbs

And, just for the hell of it since there was an original comparison to the MDX, here are those stats:
Height: 68.7 in
Length: 188.7 in
Wheel Base: 106.3 in
Curb Weight: 4451 lbs

The Freestyle is closer to the MDX in dimensions than the Murano. It's certainly BETWEEN the two. Not even close to the vehicles in the "midsize wagon" category. So how can they get away with classifying it as such?

Chalk that one up as another reason to hate Ford...

·
Registered
741 Posts
The only Land Rover I loved at first site and especially after the first ride in a very rough trail is the Defender 90. Too bad they don't sell it anymore around here. Boy, what a vehicle! Goes anywhere and crosses anything you throw at it. Best AWD system I ever tested off-road, the A and S series Audi's being the AWD queens of the roads. Memories...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts