Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the formal name for these boots?

I've uploaded 2 pictures into my gallery >> Murano Boot

As you can see mine is busted and I'm assuming I need it replaced ASAP!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
FlyerNo9-

The service manual refers to the boot as a.... boot. I have always known them as CV Joint Boots.

The boots themselves can be replaced. The bigger problem is with the CV joint. Once the boot is torn the protective grease will leak out and the actual CV joint is exposed to the elements (road salt, dust, sand, grit, water, etc.). It does not take long before the damage begins.

Your dealer or any reputable shop should be able to replace the boots. However, depending on how long the boot has been damaged, you should consider replacing the CV assembly.

I have seen replaceable boots that do not require you to remove the assembly. The boot is split down it's length. You clean and re-grease the CV joint, put the boot around the shaft, "zip" and glue the seam, affix the bands, and you are off.

How many miles do you have on your MO?

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
33 Posts
all true, but the ones with the joint are not as good - just a weak point. Recall that these turn and flex with every rotation of the tire and so need to be very durable.

I would not try to save money here - as you will shortly find out that the cvt joints are fairly expensive and the labour to install if you aren't a bit handy is going to be even more so.

good luck...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I do not feel that it is ever worth it to just replace a torn boot. Find a good shop and have the entire axle halfshaft replaced. Its just a little more than replacing just the boot, and you get *both* CV joints and boots replaced on one wheel in the process.

To put this into perspective, recently my Maxima had torn CV boots on both sides. Note that most FWD cars, including the Murano, have four front CV joints, two on each axle halfshaft (one halfshaft for each side of the transmission). My trusty mechanic replaced both axle halfshafts for $380 (parts + labor). Thats a good price. I then took the Maxima for a flat tire repair at a Big O Tires and noted on the wall they charge $299 to replace just *one* CV joint! What a rip!

Ask any good mechanic and they will almost always recommend replacing the axle halfshaft, unless the boot is just barely torn (in which case not much grease would have leaked out). In your case, the CV boot is entirely torn, and damage to the CV joint has already started.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree with Eric - I'd replace the entire shaft.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great replies guys... guess I'll start making some calls.

More to come.

ms

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
" My trusty mechanic replaced both axle halfshafts for $380 (parts + labor). Thats a good price. I then took the Maxima for a flat tire repair at a Big O Tires and noted on the wall they charge $299 to replace just *one* CV joint! What a rip!?|"

Can you even imagine what the dealer would charge??

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
" My trusty mechanic replaced both axle halfshafts for $380 (parts + labor). Thats a good price. I then took the Maxima for a flat tire repair at a Big O Tires and noted on the wall they charge $299 to replace just *one* CV joint! What a rip!?|"

Can you even imagine what the dealer would charge??
An arm, a leg, and probably several pints of blood. And definitely a lot of tears. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Side note - but kinda related...

I need to replace the water pump on the 4runner. I can get the part for 40-50 bucks. I've read there is about 6 hours worth of work (toyota does not design these things to be replaced).

I don't REALLY want to spend that much time doing it.

I called an independant shop...$650. Dealer was $675. It wasn't nearly as far off as I had imagined. $50 aftermarket part - $120 for OEM.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"They said it's cheaper to replace the whole axle..."

So my local shop and the dealer are telling me the Murano needs the front axle replaced! They said it's cheaper to replace the whole axle than fix just the one side with the busted CV Boot. I called Suntrup Nissan and they said a new axle would cost around $500, not including labor. If I get a referbished axle the parts will be around $180. The Nissan Service Advisor gave me the name of the Shop that referbs the axles they use, Hillco USA in Downtown St. Louis. I called Hillco and Jim said he could do it in a few hours but wouldn't give me an exact estimate [he did say something about $65 for parts usually].

Should I trust the shop that Nissan uses but wouldn't give me a straight estimate over the phone? I think I could. On the other hand, if I stick with the dealer I’d get a warranty on the parts and service.

Anyway, chime in with your thoughts. I'll be making my decision around lunch time today.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: "They said it's cheaper to replace the whole axle..."

FlyerNo9 said:
So my local shop and the dealer are telling me the Murano needs the front axle replaced! They said it's cheaper to replace the whole axle than fix just the one side with the busted CV Boot. I called Suntrup Nissan and they said a new axle would cost around $500, not including labor. If I get a referbished axle the parts will be around $180. The Nissan Service Advisor gave me the name of the Shop that referbs the axles they use, Hillco USA in Downtown St. Louis. I called Hillco and Jim said he could do it in a few hours but wouldn't give me an exact estimate [he did say something about $65 for parts usually].

Should I trust the shop that Nissan uses but wouldn't give me a straight estimate over the phone? I think I could. On the other hand, if I stick with the dealer I’d get a warranty on the parts and service.

Anyway, chime in with your thoughts. I'll be making my decision around lunch time today.
Generally if a shop hasn't done any work on a particular car, they cannot give you a solid estimate without seeing the car first. I would bet they have never worked on a Murano before. The only law is that they cannot exceed the estimate cost without getting permission from you again. Most shops will include a limited warranty on the work they do, at least 90 days I would imagine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts