Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Ahh too bad, for free I would have gone for one. But I don't live in the U.S. so I don't qualify!:bonk:

First thought (you know me, after all...) was what would it take to hack and not use their interface!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak said:
Ahh too bad, for free I would have gone for one. But I don't live in the U.S. so I don't qualify!:bonk:

First thought (you know me, after all...) was what would it take to hack and not use their interface!
I would have offered to buy one for you and ship but I recently used their rebate and I don't qualify any longer....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gonzo said:
Too bad it would connect up to the Bose system... or would it?
Why wouldn't this be compatible with the Bose system? The only thing unique to the head unit in a Bose system is the way the head unit processes the audio signal to the Bose amp (output levels, volume curve, etc..).

The satellite function should be transparent to everything downstream of the headunit and would be treated like an alternate signal source as it does with the CD or cassette functions.

Dave

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"
Why wouldn't this be compatible with the Bose system?"

How would you tune it?
The thing is an extension of a few radios that have the interface worked out to talk to it and send it tuning info.
The Bose, or for that matter, the non Bose Murano radio, does not speak that interface.

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
zebelkhan said:

I would have offered to buy one for you and ship but I recently used their rebate and I don't qualify any longer....
Plus I'd need another Murano! (Not such a bad idea...)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak said:

Plus I'd need another Murano! (Not such a bad idea...)
Not necessarily. You can buy adaptors to connect the XM-Direct unit to many radios. There is no adaptor for a Murano at this time though. I run mine through my carputer via a home made serial cable and tune it using a freely available software.

·
4,601 Posts
Really! OK, that's cool... Maybe I'll get one anyway!

·
4,601 Posts
I've seen some on eBay with the UPC code removed. Imagine, picking one up, for $40, getting the $50 rebate, then selling it on eBay. Not a bad deal... Money for free! Too bad it's expired now.

·
4,601 Posts
But I did pick one up for $10 on eBay! I'm listening to it right now with PCRCommander. I ended up removing the mini din connector and just wiring power and a serial cable, directly to the board.

Pretty slick for next to nothing!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jaak-

Nice avatar!!

I think you should PhotoShop it and have the needle reading 250 kph. That will get people asking questions. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dang...I got all excited when I saw the title. I so want the XM receiver, but am having a hard time coughing up the 250 bucks for it...I can spend almost 37000 on a car, but that 250 bucks won't leave my pocket for some reason :)

·
4,601 Posts
njjoe said:
jaak-

Nice avatar!!

I think you should PhotoShop it and have the needle reading 250 kph. That will get people asking questions. :2:

-njjoe
Hey, major OT, but it's my understanding I wouldn't have to photoshop it. But here's the problem...

1) Finding a place near here that I can get to 270 km/h (Which I believe the vehicle will do).
2) Holding a camera while driving at that speed, to take a picture, without killing myself.

Ahhh... The things we have to suffer with. I'm not entirely clear on what the top end of this vehicle is. I've seen 160-170 Mph, and have been told >170 Mph. Not that either is important other than for bragging rights. To me, the fun part is how fast I can get to the legal speed limit!

I never had VDC in the Murano, but if it's anything like ESP on the Magnum, there's no reason why you shouldn't get it. ESP tipped me off to road problems with freezing rain a couple of days back. Made a lane change at 60 mph, the back end started to wander out to the right and ESP corrected it as I was just thinking to react. Freakin' awesome! It will let me slide out the back end as well, as long as it's sliding to where I want to turn.

The vehicle is just a continuous cascade of good ideas that keep turning up. The integration blows my mind. The volume control on the steering wheel controls the volume for the navigaton, radio and bluetooth handsfree independantly. Everytime I think I know everything it does, something else appears. The Mute button on the radio will mute the mike on the bluetooth handsfree. What's next?

Well to bring it back on topic, I understand there's an adapter for the XMD1000 XMDirect module, coming out for Chrysler/Dodge cars. I wish someone would do it for Nissan/Infinitis... You could have XM for a little over $100 (or a heck of a lot less) integrated in, instead of being burned by Nissan for three times that.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak,

now that you have XMD1000, maybe you can help me with something.

On my way home I sometimes listen to different channels on the XM and I have found that on some channels I always have reception (20,21), but on some others (150, 151) they always cut out when I get to hilly areas. The cut-out always happen on the same portion of the road too. Don't they (XM) broadcast all of the stations from the same satellites and with the same power? Why is the reception different from one band to the next?

Thanks in advance.

ps. reminder....shifter.....:2:

·
4,601 Posts
zebelkhan said:
jaak,

now that you have XMD1000, maybe you can help me with something.

On my way home I sometimes listen to different channels on the XM and I have found that on some channels I always have reception (20,21), but on some others (150, 151) they always cut out when I get to hilly areas. The cut-out always happen on the same portion of the road too. Don't they (XM) broadcast all of the stations from the same satellites and with the same power? Why is the reception different from one band to the next?

Thanks in advance.

ps. reminder....shifter.....:2:
LOL!!! I was just thinking about the shifter earlier today! I've got a Senior Director in next week, so I've got some prep work, but next weekend's clear...

I don't recall the details, but actually not all the channels are transmitted in the same signal. I seem to recall there's at least two groups, so there could be selective fading trashing one, while the other makes it through.

I'll keep an eye out for the detailed info. I may have it somewhere.

New surprise for me, they must have terrestrial repeaters in Toronto. My XMD1000 shows full strength on the terrestrial signal, sitting in my windowsill!

·
Registered
226 Posts
XMDirect Smart Digital Adapter

Well to bring it back on topic, I understand there's an adapter for the XMD1000 XMDirect module, coming out for Chrysler/Dodge cars. I wish someone would do it for Nissan/Infinitis... You could have XM for a little over $100 (or a heck of a lot less) integrated in, instead of being burned by Nissan for three times that.
I've been looking for the Nissan/Infiniti adapter all day... is there one out there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts