Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a pretty nice scratch on my front bumper apparently from an over vealous xmas shopper in the mall parking lot (moment of silence please). I took it to a local body shop and they told me it would be $700 to repaint it. Most of the work ($) would be removing the bumper assembly. Does this sound right, it seems a bit high?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Zanter, I had an unfortunate MO incident where my car rolled on me at a gas station. My bad as the car was not in Park.
The front bumper got a nasty scratch and it was pushed in near the fog light. They had to replace the bumper skin and of course the skin arrives in primer gray so then it has to be painted to match. They did a great job on mine. I think mine was about that much or maybe a bit little more but they also did replace my grill in front as it had a scratch and they had to wet sand the plastic headlamp cover. So that does sound a bit high. Get one more estimate to feel comfortable. I guess where you live and the cost of living in that area will float the price up or down somewhat.
The only thing I know is that it will make you crazy until you get it fixed.
Bob1

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob1, someone had suggested I go out to:

http://my.i-car.com/DynamicPage.aspx?site=mainpublic&Webcode=goldclasssearch

and find a local body shop on their directory and get a second and third estimate. Since they are not replacing the bumper skin I'm finding it hard to believe it will cost that much, but I might be wrong.

Has anyone heard of I-Car and if it is really worthy pursuing a shop with that certification?

You are right, I'm going nuts about this scratch (Grrrrrr!).

-Zanter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Zanter said:
Thanks Bob1, someone had suggested I go out to:

http://my.i-car.com/DynamicPage.aspx?site=mainpublic&Webcode=goldclasssearch

and find a local body shop on their directory and get a second and third estimate. Since they are not replacing the bumper skin I'm finding it hard to believe it will cost that much, but I might be wrong.

Has anyone heard of I-Car and if it is really worthy pursuing a shop with that certification?

You are right, I'm going nuts about this scratch (Grrrrrr!).

-Zanter
Considering that they spelled directory wrong in the title of the site, I wouldn't place much faith in the site.

·
Registered
301 Posts
$700 sounds a little pricey to me. Especially since you're not buying any parts. The they perform is is remove bumper, strip paint, buy paint, paint bumper, and mount. If you break it down, assuming $75/hr for labor....

Remove bumper ~ 1 hr (IMO being conservative, although Ive never done any of this so could be wrong)
Strip paint ~ 2 hr
buy paint ~ $100
repaint ~ 2 hr
remount ~ 1 hr

Cost = $100 + 6hr*$75/hr = $550

Definitely get a 2nd and/or 3rd estimate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I got a quote for $430 to have the bumper repaired. I'll be taking it in Monday to have it done, they said it will take them 3 days; so I feel much better with this estimate. :)

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Zanter said:
Ok, so I got a quote for $430 to have the bumper repaired. I'll be taking it in Monday to have it done, they said it will take them 3 days; so I feel much better with this estimate. :)
Zanter, that is the price for them to repaint the 'entire' bumper? Or just the scratched area?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The entire bumper, they told me they would need to completely remove the bumper from the car, repair the scratched area, and then repaint and clearcoat the entire bumper; they made a point that they couldn't just paint the scratched area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts