Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I noticed on my 2003 MO, that when I turn on the front defroster, that the A/C automatically goes on as well. I presume that this is to help lower the humidity and keep the fog off the inside of the windshield.

When I switch back from front defrost mode to a standard heating mode, with heat directed to the lower vent for example, I found that the A/C stays on.

Is there some sort of setting that will allow the A/C to turn back off after leaving the Front Defroster mode? I find that I will be inadvertantly driving around in the cold weather with the A/C on, which I prefer not to do.

Thanks for any insight on this!

·
Registered
136 Posts
We usually think of heat as warm and air conditioning as cold; but in the case of auto mode on the MO we should think of air conditioning as conditioning the air i.e. making the air the right temperature. So the air conditioning will work to make the air warmer or cooler as required by the temperature you select. And when the air conditioner is on it will dehumidify when heating or cooling.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My Acura did this as well. If you have the A/C off and even just turn on AUTO, and it is cold outside, it will still turn on the A/C. I believe their standpoint on this is that in order for the HVAC to be fully automatic, you'll need the A/C on. This way, you should never have to touch the controls unless you want to change the temp, or turn on the defroster. I usually leave the A/C on because it makes the car a more comfortable warm.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, you will still get full heat even with the A/C on. Just turn the temp up above 75 and you'll be toasty.

If you turn the A/C off, you will get PURE heat. This is good for quickly warming up a standing car. Of course, AUTO is off in this mode.

You can turn A/C off and still use front defrost, but your windows will fog. This is handy for heating the windshield quickly, but that's about it.

I like AUTO mode, quirky as it is. The only time I turn the A/C off is when I feel the MO is too sluggish (it has less strain with A/C off).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Just a quick correction... if you press AUTO and then press AC just the AC is off but the system will still operate in AUTO mode. I.e. controlling fan speed, temp and vent output.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even my F-150 SuperCrew does this sort of thing and it is just a very basic climate control system, no dual or auto modes. The AC comes on in all modes except dash vent mode which simply carries vented air in. There is no way to switch the AC off at all; no AC switch. The fan also runs in every mode ecxept turning the whole ssytem off. I thought it was broken. I hate it.

At least in the Murano you have the option of fully auto mode but you can also configure it any way you want, both fan and AC.

Definitely considering trading the Ford in for a 4 door Titan. Not a bad vehicle, but the American automakers just don't ever seem to get it right for _me_. YMMV...of course.

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts