Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed that after backing the MO up, putting the car in drive and driving off normally in a turn, the car makes a "snap" sound from the front end, right front , I believe. I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything. Has anyone experienced this? I have almost 3K, so time to take to the dealer, but thought if there is a TSB, or if anyone had experienced this, the more information, the better.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Maybe one mans clunk is another mans snap.

Have them check the Steering rack.

There is a TSB.

Homer

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had a few noises from up there somewhere. I had posted a ways back that it sounded like a pebble being thrown into the wheel well.
Now I'm at 2900 miles but have not heard it in a long while. I did notice that my tires pick up and hold a large amount of small stones and pebbles. Just for the time I'm writing it off to debris leaving the treads and hitting the well. I'm due in a week for my first oil change and I may mention this when I go in to the dealer. If you find anything, such as Homer's advice on the steering bolt, please post.

Homer, is it a big "how do you do" to check that bolt? Most of these dealers don't like to do anything unless they can duplicate the noise.
I have not heard it it 2000 miles and will not be able to duplicate it. I think they will resist any request if it results in a hassle for them.
Bob1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the dealer Saturday to set up an appointment. It sounded like a bushing to them. Had an under car wash and now seems a little better. Still want them to check it. Steering wheel is now a little off center. It doesn't feel like the rack, however. I also have the lockout situation and a surging when cold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I've got the same problem. Mentioned it to the dealer and also mentioned a TSB but they said they checked and the steering rack bolts were torqued properly.

They said that (I'm interpreting here now since it's coming secondhand from my wife) maybe we weren't stepping on the brake hard enough- I think they assume that it's the brake rotor slipping I guess. But it has also happened without my foot on the brake, so I'm sure they have no idea.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the rack/pinion slipping since my steering wheel has alternated between being on center and turned about five degrees to the left when driving straight (though I can't say it alternates every time I get the sound). My wife also once complained that the steering wheel kept turning past full stop but we haven't been able to repeat the problem.

I'm thinking that there might be a short/broken tooth on either the rack or pinion or some other mechanism for slippage like improperly torqued bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Fencesitter said:
Yeah, I've got the same problem. Mentioned it to the dealer and also mentioned a TSB but they said they checked and the steering rack bolts were torqued properly.

They said that (I'm interpreting here now since it's coming secondhand from my wife) maybe we weren't stepping on the brake hard enough- I think they assume that it's the brake rotor slipping I guess. But it has also happened without my foot on the brake, so I'm sure they have no idea.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the rack/pinion slipping since my steering wheel has alternated between being on center and turned about five degrees to the left when driving straight (though I can't say it alternates every time I get the sound). My wife also once complained that the steering wheel kept turning past full stop but we haven't been able to repeat the problem.

I'm thinking that there might be a short/broken tooth on either the rack or pinion or some other mechanism for slippage like improperly torqued bolts.
This sounds exactly like a loose steering bolt. I wonder if the dealer even checked to make sure yours is torqued properly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Front End popping, snapping, etc.

Had the same type of noise others are complaining about after backing up and turning wheel to full lock before moving. Was an occaisional noise, then became more and more constant. When it start happening when making a u-turn I took to dealer. They seemed to think it was an ill adjusted steering stop or broken stop which they said they were experiencing with others in the Nissan line. As it turns out, they said one of the robots at the plant must have been sleeping that day, 'cause the entire steering rack was loose. They tightened to spec and have never had the noise again.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
I had the clunking noise when steering problem and I also have a DVD with all the manuals and TSB's on it. After reviewing the steering rack TSB I thought I would attempt to tighten the bolts myself. When I got under the car the bolts seemed to be very tight. My torque wrench does not go up up to the suggested 140 LB setting but I still gave it a whirl. All the bolts were tight. I figured I probably had a defective tie-rod end or bushing. I took it to the dealer. They immediately recognized the problem as they were seeing a large number of complaints like this. 15 minutes later the tech comes back with the car and lets me test drive it. The noise is definately gone. I asked "What did you do?". He said he tightened the bolts just as I attempted but also suggested that I could never generate enough torque with hand tools to get the nuts tight enough. To do it with hand tools would take a large breaker bar and possibly a piece of pipe on the breaker bar. To do that the truck would have to have all four wheels in the air. Well I don't keep a compliment of air tools at home nor do I have a lift in my garage so going to the dealer was better for me anyway. So for those of you who are contemplating this repair on your own be warned. The car is still under warranty. Unless you got access to some high p.s.i. compressors and pnumatic tools you may be better off letting the Nissan guys get dirty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My front end was locking up and had to be completely replaced. It would get stuck on every rotation. Anyone have that problem yet. i was out of a car for a week due to it. thanks nissan!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts