Nissan Murano Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Search and your question will be answered. It's already been posted by several posters that Nissan is replacing the sensor with a new part number, which seems to be resolving most of these issues.

Have a good day.
Good suggestion. It might be helpful if people who post to this thread (or others that may come up in future searches) identify which part number they have as a replacement so we can differentiate old part versus new part replacement reliability. Perhaps a moderator could even merge the relevant threads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took it in today. They want to replace the wire harness that goes to it for $2599.95 due to damage to the plug that they attempted to repair last time. They can't just replace the plug and the whole front end has to come off to do this. The part is only $366, the rest is labor.

This is the harness as pictured in the service manual. Plug E219 is the only part I need.

Apparently, when the Volvo dealership took it in last year they declined to have the harness replaced at that time. Took the estimate to them to see if they will help. Also looking into finding a salvage Murano to see if I can get just that part of the harness to splice into mine if the Volvo dealer declines to assist.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Went out to the garage this morning to see I could see what the actual damage was to the plug. I found the radar unit itself was loose in the bracket and when I tugged on the connector to pull it off the entire unit came out.

The radar is only held in the bracket with 3 pins.

Part info

You can see where they put some sort of liquid electrical tape on the wires last year

Plug side

Now that I know what the plug looks like and that the sensor is an MRR1Plus made by Bosch I did some googling to see if I could find just the plug. I found that Honda, Chrysler, VW, GM and Tesla use the same sensor.

Success

Aliexpress will only sell them in a package of 5 for $30. I did find another seller on Amazon that sells just 1 for $17

But then I found this!

Wires are already inserted in the correct sockets, would just have to be spliced into my existing harness.

Currently looking for a VW part number for this harness since I don’t want to wait a month for it to get here. I did find a company in Texas that claims to sell it for $75 but they don’t have any photos to confirm it’s the correct part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took it in today. They want to replace the wire harness that goes to it for $2599.95 due to damage to the plug that they attempted to repair last time. They can't just replace the plug and the whole front end has to come off to do this. The part is only $366, the rest is labor.

This is the harness as pictured in the service manual. Plug E219 is the only part I need.

Apparently, when the Volvo dealership took it in last year they declined to have the harness replaced at that time. Took the estimate to them to see if they will help. Also looking into finding a salvage Murano to see if I can get just that part of the harness to splice into mine if the Volvo dealer declines to assist.
Somebody please send a PM to the contributor that they can get that harness fixed. This site will not let me post either a link to the correct replacement connector or to send a PM Here is my message:

Don't ever believe a dealership when they tell you this crap, that a harness cannot be repaired. They just don't want to put a new connector on there. I bought that connector to attach it myself, but the rest of the harness was so messed up I replaced it instead, myself. I sold the unused connector on ebay but ebay does not let me look up the listing. I think this may be the part you need, and you can have an auto electric shop wire it in. Check with the vendor to make sure it is the right one: //connectorexperts/i-26169565-distance-sensor-front.html?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=1747267607&adgroup=pla-413692779263&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBOkM1_d4arXjsKmV4zbrYSlSDkgyEFTf1RNXNzlyPCdVdChXKagRV4aAkCVEALw_wcB

please preface the link https: and place the .com after connectorexperts

·
Registered
64 Posts
//connectorexperts/i-26169565-distance-sensor-front.html?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=1747267607&adgroup=pla-413692779263&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBOkM1_d4arXjsKmV4zbrYSlSDkgyEFTf1RNXNzlyPCdVdChXKagRV4aAkCVEALw_wcB

please preface the link https: and place the .com after connectorexperts

I saw that one, $88 and it is not prewired. I bought the VW harness from Ali Express it should be here on the 4th. Since I am going to have to remove my bumper cover and grill to get to the harness I'm going to go ahead and start painting the chrome parts charcoal/ gunmetal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2015 Murano Platinum. I've had the sensor fail during snow and as soon as the snow melted, everything was fine.

HOWEVER, I'm also experiencing practically the exact same problem as others are describing. What I notice is that the sensor fails faster when I'm in heavy traffic. If I have no cars around me, it will be fine for 15-20 minutes. If I'm in heavy traffic, it will fail within 1-2.

My dealer is also claiming that this MUST be due to some direct blow to the sensor. I have a couple of nicks to the very bottom of the bumper from where I've scraped along a parking curb but I've had no other damage to the front end. If there was damage, why would the sensor have this intermittent problem? It seems that it would just be inoperable all the time.

After reading this thread, I'm more convinced than ever that this is a defective part. Waiting to hear back from my service advisor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Update to my issue.

I bought the prewired VW plug from Aliexpress and installed it. Not an easy task but beats paying the dealership $2,600.

The bumper cover has to be removed to get to that section of the harness.

While I had it apart I found my outside air temperature sensor bracket was broken and the sensor was just dangling. Since I have an odd assortment of parts that I have pulled from the junkyard to sell on eBay I actually had a replacement already!

New section grafted into original.

Since I have been wanting to paint my chrome and had the bumper cover off already I went ahead and removed the 2 chrome pieces on the bumper and painted them. I'll make a new post on this once I finish painting all the parts.

Got it all back together, failed first time I changed lanes behind a car.

Took it to a different Nissan Dealer for a second opinion and explained all that had been done so far including showing them the old damaged plug and told them the section of harness had been replaced. At this point I was willing to pay the $135 diagnosis fee for a correct answer. They took it in and did their thing, came back and said they did everything they could to get the existing sensor to work and it continued to fail on test drives. They put in a new distance sensor (radar) and it was no longer failing on test drives. 5 hours and $1,255 I had another sensor and working cruise control again.

So much for the “updated sensors” being better, the one removed has the same part number as my new one. Currently waiting to see if Nissan corporate will cover it under good faith and send me a refund. If not I will turn it over to my extended warranty company. Hoping Nissan does the right thing since the last one only worked for 8 months and I was told I needed $2,600 worth of work that it did not need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't wait on this issue!

Literally just joined this forum to comment on this thread.

My wife and I bought a 2017 Murano in February of that year (not the 2017.5 model). We started experiencing intermittent "Front Radar Obstructed" messages and red blink/bell warnings for no reason around 10k miles. The next service visit, we mentioned it and were told that the situation is normal and the sensors are just very sensitive.

This continued to happen and we mentioned at several other services always getting the same reply. Now, at 44K miles, we simply have a front end collision dash light that stays on all the time. Took it to the dealer again and were told that it is a sensor failure and, because the car is out of warranty, the fix will not be covered and cost ~$4000. To make matters worse, we were already looking to trade it in to buy a newer SUV and, of course, the trade value of the vehicle is impacted.

I'm preparing to contact a lawyer because the dealership will not repair without charging us despite the fact this issue has been recurring since 10K miles. I'm very unhappy as, up to this point, we've been pretty loyal Nissan customers. Between my wife and I, we have owned two 350Zs, two GT-Rs, one Infiniti G35, and now this Murano. All but two were bought new and all have been serviced at the same family of dealerships. This experience not only has me seeking legal action, but will likely result in us never buying another Nissan product again, new or used.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Literally just joined this forum to comment on this thread.
Your car should still be covered by the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty which should cover the cost of the radar replacement I would think...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your car should still be covered by the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty which should cover the cost of the radar replacement I would think...
Bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. If OP got earlier service writers to document the issue on the work order before warranty expired, then there may be some recourse legally. Many times the service writers don’t bother or have been coached not to write down some things if may create future liability.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. If OP got earlier service writers to document the issue on the work order before warranty expired, then there may be some recourse legally. Many times the service writers don’t bother or have been coached not to write down some things if may create future liability.
I knew I must be overlooking something... Thank you for the correction.

Good idea, definitely get stuff like this documented for cases like this.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i really hope this was just a bad batch from Bosch, but it looks like it may be a poor design. This may not be Nissan’s fault and will likely affect other automakers. I really like the safety potential of these systems, but can’t justify frequent replacement once out of warranty. Just not sure what the alternative is...maybe eyesight camera system like Subaru uses?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i really hope this was just a bad batch from Bosch, but it looks like it may be a poor design. This may not be Nissan’s fault and will likely affect other automakers. I really like the safety potential of these systems, but can’t justify frequent replacement once out of warranty. Just not sure what the alternative is...maybe eyesight camera system like Subaru uses?
But it is Nissan's fault as well. Bosch may have made the faulty component, but Nissan outsourced the part. It is on them to ensure all 3rd party provided parts and equipment function properly. Buyers did not buy a Bosch product, they bought a Nissan product. The correct resolution is for Nissan to address the issue for their customers and, if necessary, Nissan can simultaneously petition Bosch to cover the cost of the service for providing bad product.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Problem one for pre-2019 Muranos is the radar sensor is exposed to the elements, particularly road debris and snow... For 2019 they placed it in the center, and its protected by the plastic grill. Time will tell whether this helps...

I haven't looked into Subaru's Eyesite, but I "think" it's just the camera mounted in front of the rear-view mirror. The 2019 Murano has this camera, it's used for pedestrian detection, speed limit signs, and lane intervention.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Problem one for pre-2019 Muranos is the radar sensor is exposed to the elements, particularly road debris and snow... For 2019 they placed it in the center, and its protected by the plastic grill. Time will tell whether this helps...

I haven't looked into Subaru's Eyesite, but I "think" it's just the camera mounted in front of the rear-view mirror. The 2019 Murano has this camera, it's used for pedestrian detection, speed limit signs, and lane intervention.
The eyesight system uses two camera and no radar, so much more protected from the elements. I am all to aware of how exposed my radar unit is hanging out Down there by the ground. :(

I had a new Honda Accord about 20 years ago with glass lens fog lights. Within 300 miles one caught a rock. Was not covered under warranty of course, so I am afraid we are going to see a fairly high rate of failure for these bumper mount systems. At least with the fog light I could use that 3M film to give the fog light more impact protection.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Heard back from Nissan. They are only willing to refund 50% of the repair due to the number of miles I was beyond the warranty. Ridiculous! The first repair was done at 54,014 on August 3rd. According to my records, I hit 66,000 on January 31st so the 12,000-mile warranty on the initial repair was only good for 5 months 21 days.

I also contacted Bosch. They said they could not discuss issues with the sensors with me directly and refered me back to Nissan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please fix this problem. Cruise goes off randomly. I put a lot of miles on my Murano and use my cruise control constantly. Not now, because it just doesn't stay on. The dealer replaced the sensor once already and it it is worse now. The dealer also causes a great amount of stress. No answers!!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts