Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone notice about unusual noise from front wheel of the 2003 Murano? This has been my complain from the beginning and the Nissan dealers/services always says "it's normal" and the car is just fine. I took the car yesterday to the dealer service to have them look on this issue (again) but they "told" me the same thing.
It's very frustrating because I can obviously hear the noise either from the driver or passenger side in the front when driving, especially around 35MPH and they couldn't tell there's "something wrong" with the car? I can even feel the vibration and the bumping like noise or, sounds like something rubbing on the wheels or shaft.

I don't know what kind of test is necessary to convince these so called "certified mechanics" in Nissan services that my 2003 Murano has a problem.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could it be a tire? Does it changed when the tires are rotated? Also I have heard of front wheel bearings causing strange noises in our MO's.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with the above, I would take your MO back to Goodyear and have them re balance your tires. Does this noise get louder the faster you drive or does it diminish or go away at a certain speed.

I would also check the wear pattern on your disc brakes in case you can see abnormal wear caused by disc shoes rubbing on the disc. It is also possible that you have a wrapped brake disc, however you would feel a wrapped disc on your brake pedal when you press down to stop.

I have a 03 Mo with 70000Km on it and it is very quiet. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have an 03... no wheel noises at 35 MPH... perhaps try another dealer or if you have to a local garage. If they find something perhaps pay them for their inspection and then got back to Nissan request reimbursement for the inspection and have them repair it under warranty.

Silly but Welcome to the Nissan Service Center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but....

A few months ago I heard a noise coming from my left front tire... it did increase when I took off ramps when exiting highways. I was sure it was the bearing making the noise. The dealer made me first get my four wheels trued and balanced.... but the noise was still there. So they ordered a new bearing.... yep that did it... noise was gone.

So what I'm saying is the culprit for you may also be a bearing in the axle.

Be aware that the mechanic working on my vehicle broke an ABS sensor while replacing the bearing. It was replaced under warranty along with the bearing. But I was without ABS for the time it took to get the sensor in. (two weeks)

So far the only problems with my 2003 Murano: Engine sensor, Visor clip, and the bearing. (I don't include the ABS sensor, as it was a mechanics mistake)

Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 05 had a similar noise and I kinda thought the dealer would think I was just being overly sensitive but they checked it out and found a bad hub in the right front, replaced it under warranty and I was good to go! Noise gone!

its worth having checked by someone that believes you. Suggest that they check the hubs/bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Mine has a dampened roar when I brake hard at around 55. I always thought it could be wheel bearings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been complaining to the dealer about road noise from day two. Its there at any speed over 20 MPH and it is tire / drive train noise. When Im going down the road I put it in neutral and its still there.

So far they have re-aligned the wheels, rotated and balanced them. The dealer thinks Im overly sensitive and wants to write it off as User Error.

I took the service manager for a ride in a demo unit they have and the noise is much less. At this point they are pondering the lint in their belly buttons.

I think its either tires or bearings. I don't get any strange noises, just LOUD road noise that changes depending on the road surface.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you end up having the tires checked, you might ask them if the tire has a 'hop' in it. I have had this happen on two other new cars where as the tire wears, it has a defect within the tire that makes it wear unevenly and you end up with a high spot that feels like they are not balanced.

worth a question to the tire guys... Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a new '05 FWD and hear a howling or hollow noise coming
from the left front. The car is perfectly smooth and straight
at any speed though. Could this still be a wheel bearing? I had a "technician" go for a ride with
me and he said he heard nothing not normal. Is there a way
for me to tell if I got a bad wheel bearing so I don't have to
rely on those ding dongs at the dealer?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm still battling with the techs on mine as well.
I have gone as far as having one go for a test drive with me in a a MO off the showroom floor. There is a BIG difference. The dealership is isn't hard of hearing, they are hard of listening.

I'm trying to get my hands on a db meter The "road noise" of mine is double of the others I have driven, I just need to prove it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
FastEddy said:
I'm still battling with the techs on mine as well.
I have gone as far as having one go for a test drive with me in a a MO off the showroom floor. There is a BIG difference. The dealership is isn't hard of hearing, they are hard of listening.

I'm trying to get my hands on a db meter The "road noise" of mine is double of the others I have driven, I just need to prove it.
Knowing how the dealer will bend over backwards to avoid giving a free warranty repair, don't be surprised if even with your quantitative measurements, they still make up a lame excuse such as "its louder because your tires are more worn."

·
Registered
27 Posts
FastEddy-did you ever get anything resolved? After months
of listening to my noise, I think it's the bearing or hub. I'm just
about ready to go to the dealer again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
jeffil1965 said:
FastEddy-did you ever get anything resolved? After months
of listening to my noise, I think it's the bearing or hub. I'm just
about ready to go to the dealer again.
I had a similiar 'howling' sound in the right front and I also thought the dealer would think I was a little nuts but it turned out they heard it to and replaced the hub and it's gone.

it's worth a trip and let them know others have had the exact same problem .

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have brought it in 2 times and they say nothing is wrong. Each time I have the tech take a drive in a demo they have in stock and they do hear the difference but cant / wont do anything about it.

I need to bring it in for a tire pressure error not going away so ill make some bogus complaint to have them check the hubs. I think thats the only way I will get them to look.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
MAybe print out these posts and

Take them to the service manager and tell him what your advisor did and request a wheel bearing inspection if they don't go to the saleman you bought it from and if that doesn't work go to the Gm. I would do these things myself.

·
5,244 Posts
FastEddy said:
I have brought it in 2 times and they say nothing is wrong. Each time I have the tech take a drive in a demo they have in stock and they do hear the difference but cant / wont do anything about it.

I need to bring it in for a tire pressure error not going away so ill make some bogus complaint to have them check the hubs. I think thats the only way I will get them to look.
Eddy,
did you get your issue resolved? I have started hearing some strange noise, huming or so, that could be bearing related. Before I take my car to the dealer I would like to know what was the outcome of your case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts